Old Railway routes near you

One of my regular walks on there... Rainford Linear Park.

I saw a good one last year when Julia Bradbury walked an old railway (now a foot/cycle path)
near Barmouth in Wales. May have a go at it when we get our freedom back, camping gear at the ready.:)

One of my regular walks on there... Rainford Linear Park.

I saw a good one last year when Julia Bradbury walked an old railway (now a foot/cycle path)
near Barmouth in Wales. May have a go at it when we get our freedom back, camping gear at the ready.:)

Well worth the trip, best to do it on a weekday when (if) the kids are at school.

Al.

Much obliged for that link. I knew there was the Saddleworth loop that got ripped out of my valley, and I managed to trace it through Greenfield (always thought it an odd place for a signposted walk) when I used to cycle that way. But I didn't know there was another line that went to Delph. Thinking back to when I was a kid I remember thinking how did that cafe get a train carriage there!

There was a branch line running along the side of my paddock and in WW2 what is now my front room was part of a barn which was used as a pillbox to cover the line which ran from Amble up to Acklington RAF base.

Couple of years ago I wanted to sell our place and buy Norham railway station on the line that ran from Berwick to Coldstream but the wife would not let me.

There was a cottage , station masters house, booking office and waiting room, length of platform , half a railway bridge , a large paddock, a signal box and best of all a rather large and subtantial engine shed and a large goods shed .

In the end it went for £325,000

http://media.rightmove.co.uk/77k/76639/41131213/76639_Station_DOC_00_0000.pdf

These guys make some interesting videos on the subject

There was a branch line running along the side of my paddock and in WW2 what is now my front room was part of a barn which was used as a pillbox to cover the line which ran from Amble up to Acklington RAF base.

Couple of years ago I wanted to sell our place and buy Norham railway station on the line that ran from Berwick to Coldstream but the wife would not let me.

There was a cottage , station masters house, booking office and waiting room, length of platform , half a railway bridge , a large paddock, a signal box and best of all a rather large and subtantial engine shed and a large goods shed .

I'am sure that was bought by an enthusiast and was featured on a TV programe some time ago.

I'am sure that was bought by an enthusiast and was featured on a TV programe some time ago.

Think that was the one on the old Alnwick to Coldstream line at The Bridge of Aln (Whittingham Station) where he converted the old goods sheds , there are a few nice conversions on that line , the old station at ilderton was converted into a very succesful restaurant by one of the owners of VIZ magazine (it closed down after his chef and good mate was killed in a late night accident travelling home on his Vespa)

Think that was the one on the old Alnwick to Coldstream line at The Bridge of Aln (Whittingham Station) where he converted the old goods sheds , there are a few nice conversions on that line , the old station at ilderton was converted into a very succesful restaurant by one of the owners of VIZ magazine (it closed down after his chef and good mate was killed in a late night accident travelling home on his Vespa)

Could well have been; i love seeing these quirky old places being renovated and reused; usually by people with a bit of passion and vison. That's a sad storyabout the Viz guy loosing his mates i did'nt know any of that.

Used to walk past there regularly when I lived up near Cornhill, a little out the way but a nice property. I wanted to move back up that way when I retired but the family prefer to be down in Tyneside so the amenities. Lovely part of the word, still get up there regularly on the bike.

I don't think this will ever be a 'goer' again :rob

i-ZvDrmws-L.jpg

Used to walk down here when the steam trains brought coal from Rossington Colliery.

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom