R80 G/S Tell Tale

SteveHop

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On my G/S, i can move the instrment panel which is called the Tell Tale (item 5) . I can move it from side to side and backwards and forwards at least a couple of mm , even when both housings are screwed together correctly. Are they all like this ? or is there a way of tightening things up ? Ive looked closly and cant see any damage or "mods" carried out by a previous owner.

Attachments

• Telltail.jpg
    Telltail.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 247
That ‘tell tale’ slots into a defined slot in both halves of the housing. It shouldn’t rattle or be lose.

Getting the two halves of the headlight shell to close up fully can be a bit of a fiddle.

Absolutely, you see more with gaps than without.

‘Tell tale’ - I like that, better than dashboard.

Yea i like the "Tell tale" description . Im a bit nervous about tightening it to much as its a bit cold in the garage so i dont want to crack the housing. I would like to be able to take out those screws but there a bit of a job , they get stuck in. My garage is to big to keep warm , im going to devide it.

Yea i like the "Tell tale" description . Im a bit nervous about tightening it to much as its a bit cold in the garage so i dont want to crack the housing. I would like to be able to take out those screws but there a bit of a job , they get stuck in. My garage is to big to keep warm , im going to devide it.

Just checked it again , both housing halfs are definatly butting up together.

General tips I could pass on if I may, don’t over tighten the screws holding the two halves together. You can easily allow the heads of the screws to bury themselves into the plastic. If that happens the only way to get the halves apart is to incrementally unscrew a bit at a time. A pig to get the screws fully out.
With a rattling dash light board a little non setting material like blue tack in the groove can help.

I don't suppose anyone has a complete shroud and tell tale for sale, or bits of one ?

If bikes have done lots of winter miles, got covered in road crap, and been spattered with mud, somehow, the muck wears the slot that it fits in so it wobbles. Two words - blue tac.

Back
Top Bottom