Using side stand

scorpio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Struggling with a back injury after a recent car crash getting on and off my 1250 GSA. I know some will say don’t ride, but it’s fine once I’m on. I’m using the left side foot peg to stand on whilst the bike is on its side stand. Is this ok, as obviously there is a great deal of weight placed on the side stand.

I would say as long as you're on good level ground you should be fine. You may be better putting a foot enlarger on it to help on softer ground.

I mount my bike by using the left peg when it is on it's sidestand if I have the luggage fitted. Never had an issue on any of my bikes. I always squeeze the front brake as I get on, to prevent any chance of it rolling forward.

I mount my bike by using the left peg when it is on it's sidestand if I have the luggage fitted. Never had an issue on any of my bikes. I always squeeze the front brake as I get on, to prevent any chance of it rolling forward.

Yep, me too!

My g/f always gets on bike with sidestand down. No issues.

Why not use the centre stand to clamber aboard?

More stable , better weight spread

I sometimes do that, when filling up and with a roll bag on pillion seat

Then just push off with both legs & back onto the wheels

If you're a shortie that might not be an option - I can only just manage to, usually after a few attempts. These days I don't bother - push it off the centre, on to the side, then get on.

If you're a shortie that might not be an option - I can only just manage to, usually after a few attempts. These days I don't bother - push it off the centre, on to the side, then get on board.

I am 6’2 so not a problem for me on the central stand
Some people Just put it in 1st and lean back and once you let the clutch out, use the back wheel to ride it off the centre stand with feet on the pegs

I’ve seen lots of people climb on when their bike is on its side stand, always assumed they struggled to get their leg over.

You could try getting on from the other side with the side stand down.

To get on from the right hand side, make sure when you put your foot on the peg, you put your knee well into the side of the bike, so your weight is more central.

Doing this will put more of the load on the wheels, rather than the stand. Once you've mastered this, it's actually easier than standing on the left peg, because you're even higher on the bike, so if you have any luggage it's easier to get your leg over.

This may take a bit of practice, but worth a go.

Ha fekin ha :razz just because your gifted in the inside leg dept !

All you need to be aware of, is that it will over time squeeze the slim walled bush, and bolt that goes through the side stand

but then using the side stand daily will do that to a lesser degree

You could try getting on from the other side with the side stand down.

This is what I do particularly if I tuck the bike up close to a wall when parked.
I find it more comfortable as the bike is leaning away from me with the peg sticking out rather then leaning toward me and the peg overshadowed by the bike.

Back
Top Bottom