Indicators off on 1250- let me to decide...

ampthill

Reaction score
I find how the indicators turn off on the 1250 really annoying. Been trying to get used to them for the past year but still they irritate. They turn off when you don't want them too, often at the most awkward moments. All to do with the lean sensor I presume but I am getting very irritated with them automatically cancelling halfway round a roundabout or just as I am about to join a dual carriageway or at any other inopportune moment... I know they are trying to be clever but they don't work for me in the real world.

Much preferred the system on my previous GSs where the indicators would not turn off until I switched them off. And if I ever forgot they would turn off automatically anyway after a designated distance.

So does anyone know if it possible for the dealer to set the indicators to turn off after a set distance as was previously the case?

I discovered that if you don't want them to turn off, when you turn them on, you have to hold the button for more the 3 seconds. I discovered that on joining dual carriageway too. It was annoying so I tried few things and 3 sec ON worked.

Dealer can at your request alter the lemth of time they stay on, or cancel the self cancelling feature altogether I believe

I think i read somewhere in the manual that they stay on relative to the speed and/or distance traveled, but can be over ridden by a longer press.....nothing to do with lean angles.

I found the self-cancelling feature on the 1200 useless! Early days as yet but my impression is that work better on the 1250. Anyways, from the manual:

If button 1 has been pressed to the right or left, the turn indicators are automatically switched off under the following circumstances:

Speed below 30 km/h: after 50 m distance covered.

Speed between 30 km/h and 100 km/h: after a speed-dependent distance covered or
in case of acceleration.

Speed over 100 km/h: after flashing five times.

If button 1 is pressed to the right or left slightly longer, the turn indicators only switch off automatically once the speed-dependent distance covered is reached.

You can adjust these sorts of things through coding on cars, so I'd expect that the installed sw offers similar opportunities.

For interest, the 1200's manual says that the 1200 also has distance and time-dependent settings for the indicators, but doesn't provide any details.

The dealer can disable the feature if you want them to. They can also adjust the length of time and distance

ACtC-3cYP4C3owGGsvE800ABr1TpKEIwgBCPjBJr2MqPfbbXt_IR4g9jVaDjRKybMkBOCqMQAnSBT6f720NYI6cBg9VQTDHsdYvZfaBm14qDFtxCdPdchz1L1A90UgYZ02bgArDZ8XG1lngZUqyFxTIgU7ujgg=w1022-h803-no

The dealer can disable the feature if you want them to. They can also adjust the length of time and distance

ACtC-3cYP4C3owGGsvE800ABr1TpKEIwgBCPjBJr2MqPfbbXt_IR4g9jVaDjRKybMkBOCqMQAnSBT6f720NYI6cBg9VQTDHsdYvZfaBm14qDFtxCdPdchz1L1A90UgYZ02bgArDZ8XG1lngZUqyFxTIgU7ujgg=w1022-h803-no

Thanks. I am aware you can do this with the 1200gs- which is the system above. I got my dealer to to change the distance to turn off on my previous GS's to 500m- which worked well for me.

However it is now all different now with the 1250gs as it also uses the lean sensor to help manage the indicators. This can work well when turning into a junction as the indicator now turns off once you're upright after the turn. However it doesn't work so well in roundabouts if they have section which means you are upright for a short period as they will turn off without you necessarily being aware.

Also when entering a dual carriageway where the entry slip road has a bend on it. For example the junction I use for work each day has a left bend just before it before it merges onto the carriage way. So if I put the right indicator on to indicate I a pulling onto the carriageway it will cancel just before I want to join the carriageway- hardly ideal.

I discovered that if you don't want them to turn off, when you turn them on, you have to hold the button for more the 3 seconds. I discovered that on joining dual carriageway too. It was annoying so I tried few things and 3 sec ON worked.

Nice one & I didn't know that!

I too find they turn off too quickly sometimes.

I really liked the Left on the left button and Right on the right button of my old GSA hex head.

I really liked the Left on the left button and Right on the right button of my old GSA hex head.[/QUOTE]

All harleys are like that - brilliant idea and so easy.

I really liked the Left on the left button and Right on the right button of my old GSA hex head.

harleys are like that - brilliant idea and so easy.

Yeh, but difficult to change back once you get used to it. I have both and i'm ok going from GS to Harley but the other way. I'm looking for the right button, then it's too late :blast
The large roundabouts are the my main problem, seems I have to push the button more than once to go all the way round or to the right. I'll give this longer press a go. The Harley's the same, it's based on the lean sensor or something that know you turned, so thinks once you gone round a corner it needs to be off.

Did you also like the fucking stupid cancel button that, just as you’re rolling on the throttle, you had to try and reach with your thumb? Utterly crap design. Your right hand is for controlling the throttle and front brake. It’s got enough to do. Every other bike manufacturer in the world uses a single button for indicators and BMW switched all their bikes - officially because the extra switchgear with heated seats, cruise control etc on the K Bikes meant they ran out of space. In reality it was because it was and is a shit system. Just about manageable on an upright bike like a GS - on a sportier bike like an F800S/ST it was effectively impossible so most riders didn’t bother.

Thanks. I am aware you can do this with the 1200gs- which is the system above. I got my dealer to to change the distance to turn off on my previous GS's to 500m- which worked well for me.

However it is now all different now with the 1250gs as it also uses the lean sensor to help manage the indicators. This can work well when turning into a junction as the indicator now turns off once you're upright after the turn. However it doesn't work so well in roundabouts if they have section which means you are upright for a short period as they will turn off without you necessarily being aware.

Also when entering a dual carriageway where the entry slip road has a bend on it. For example the junction I use for work each day has a left bend just before it before it merges onto the carriage way. So if I put the right indicator on to indicate I a pulling onto the carriageway it will cancel just before I want to join the carriageway- hardly ideal.

The 1200 came with the same lean angle sensor since MY16.

Back
Top Bottom