General Enfield question(s)

newbuild100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So folks; When uncle Boris lets us out to play again, I will look into getting another bike for pootling about on locally. Im looking at new (ish) Enfield's at the moment.

In a way, I hope Im wrong here but I have slightly built up a picture over the years that RE's (even the newer ones) are downright unreliable, spew oil everywhere and corrode at the first side of rain.

Obviously, I realise that they arent the most expensive bikes out there but I guess I want someone to come along and tell me Im wrong about the above "issues". (I will then continue looking as one or two the different models look great fun)

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions etc

well your wrong and your right,bad bits yes they do corrode if you dont look after them ,but they are reliable and they dont leak oil .i have had three or four over the years and i would say the newer ones that are fuel injection are a much better bike .

well your wrong and your right,bad bits yes they do corrode if you dont look after them ,but they are reliable and they dont leak oil .i have had three or four over the years and i would say the newer ones that are fuel injection are a much better bike .

Thanks. So, with a new purchase then, i guess it may be an idea to go down the ACF50 route (or similar) ??!!

earlier ones i had probs with starter sprag , i had to take it out and only use the kick .really i am not trying to put you off but test ride one first ,they are never going to get you excited ,but do have a certain charm .
and dont discount the himalayan its only a 400cc but really are a nice easy to ride bike :thumb2

earlier ones i had probs with starter sprag , i had to take it out and only use the kick .really i am not trying to put you off but test ride one first ,they are never going to get you excited ,but do have a certain charm .
and dont discount the himalayan its only a 400cc but really are a nice easy to ride bike :thumb2

Thanks again. What caught my attention recently was an advert locally for a "New Royal Enfield Classic Military" ! It just looks lovely, in my opinion.... and has set the ball rolling I think !

I've had a few over the years . Reliable yes . Corode yes but not if cared for . Slow yes . Fun yes. Easy to work on yes . The new ones are oil tight , but keep an eye on the oil level . great bikes . Mine were all Bullets

I've had a few over the years . Reliable yes . Corode yes but not if cared for . Slow yes . Fun yes. Easy to work on yes . The new ones are oil tight , but keep an eye on the oil level . great bikes . Mine were all Bullets

Keep your stuff coming guys... I think youre selling an Enfield to me !

Some say newer RE's are completely reliable, don't spew oil everywhere and don't corrode at the first side of rain.

The Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 is a RUST BUCKET! FACT or FICTION?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAYC9WCb_jU

Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. One year REVIEW!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgWfWVu9YYY

I'm not going to watch all of the rust bucket vid but Stuart Fillingham isn't a great guide as he is so anal to cleaning stuff I don't believe he would be your every day normal RE owner.

I'll go watch the other though.

As to the OP, I would have one if I had the space, as it stands, I don't.

I had a test ride on a Himalayan last year nicely put together for 4K good VFM
smooth very little vibration good brakes but with 24.5 BHP it couldn't pull it's self out of bed.

RE Himalayan

Depends on how much of the scenery you want to see. Defo not the fastest, depends where your riding as to whether it’s fast enough.

Attachments

• C7D14B46-F938-45F8-8B5B-DC404DDB0D7D.jpg
    C7D14B46-F938-45F8-8B5B-DC404DDB0D7D.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 380
What's the matter with the new Meteor 350? Admittedly not the Classic Military style, but surely great for pootling locally.

..and it's a lot less GS'ey than the Himalayan.

Royal Enfield

I had a 2002 500 Bullet. really reliable no corrosion problems , but I always looked after it. ACF50 in the winter. If you are used to riding Hayabusas and Fireblades it's probably not the bike for you. Life always seemed more relaxed riding along at 55 mph. It would do 85 mph but vibrated.

Only ever had a couple of small niggles with mine.
The negative battery terminal tends to fracture as does the R/R bracket. Both easy fixes.
No problem with corrosion and the spokes are stainless steel.
Hydraulic tappets, fuel injection and auto primary chain tensioner. Servicing couldn't be simpler.
DSC-0459.jpg

The negative battery terminal tends to fracture as does the R/R bracket. Both easy fixes.
Hydraulic tappets, fuel injection and auto primary chain tensioner. Servicing couldn't be simpler.
DSC-0459.jpg

OOooo, thats lovely !

Thumbs up for the Himalayan, a real hoot on the back lanes where nimbleness, light weight and adequate power for the roads encountered counts for a lot. For me it is a better winter bike than the big the GS, evidenced by the fact it has three times the mileage over the last few months. No issues with corrosion if using ACF50, corrosion block grease, XCP and the like.

A rear hugger helps a lot with keeping crud away from the areas behind the shocker and reduces cleaning time significantly.

85+ mpg most of the time, simple servicing and relability, what's not to like ? Thinking,of taking mine to NW Scotland rather than a bigger bike, just for kicks.

DSC-0459.jpg
Very nice that is Kenny

Back
Top Bottom