eab7e833518c4c116c51091c924b6182.jpg

Long Oil tube and oil filter fitted

975a7f52f72460f94eafd5bcb2b924b4.jpg

6de2ad045ac4607c1a1bcab4717c5fab.jpg

Gearbox back in and new clutch cable fitted and free play set

54623a0115d1a59c75140dc4555570c1.jpg

d67c88dfae8c694fa27c40b350b1522a.jpg

97e2dc4ac602426443a6273b681d8a80.jpg

Finally got a delivery of parts this afternoon so can now get forks rebuilt and new brake disc fitted and front end back on bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love your and Mikeyboy rebuild stories, the skills on display are humbling and the speed with which you get everything done is utterly amazing. I am looking forward to the next instalment and seeing it up and running.

I love your and Mikeyboy rebuild stories, the skills on display are humbling and the speed with which you get everything done is utterly amazing. I am looking forward to the next instalment and seeing it up and running.

Thanks Simon , although I think Mikeyboys skills on Airheads far outweigh my humble efforts !

Didn’t manage to get into the garage today due to “real” work commitments , so no build progress , but I did manage to get over to the metal finishers and collected the mild steel carburettor parts I had in for zinc plating . So hopefully tomorrow I can get the Bing carburettors built back up

7873d162b057813a62525bb27ba4ca02.jpg

128732f2023c86d59cf021cede55eb8b.jpg

Well almost got the carburettors finished , RHS one all went together like a breeze , came to LHS one and the slide piston was a mismatched older type one from type 64-1 , 64-2 / 94 Bing rather than the same as the RHS which is a 64-3

The older one uses a star washer type retainer and the needle is inserted and clicked in (as shown in diagram parts 14a & 15a) whilst on the newer type the needle is held by a circlip and then a threaded retainer (parts 14b and 15b)

What the diagram and information from Bing doesn't tell you is that the slide piston 13 is also different as the older type is not internally threaded to accept the new style 15b retainer

So a replacement newer type slide piston ordered and LHS carb re-assembly on hold until it arrives :-(

At least i'm getting an education on Bing Carburettors !

Here's how they looked beforehand....

Got the swinging arm back from aqua blasting and Motorworks delivered the new swinging arm to bevel box bearings , they are sat in the freezer now along with the pivot bearings ready to fit tomorrow

Forks built up and back on bike

Final drive back from Mikeyboy and new swinging arm to bevel box bearings fitted along with new brake shoes

Inspiring work :thumby:

Can you let me know how the reflectors are removed from the forks (without breaking them)?

Thanks
Gerry

Can you let me know how the reflectors are removed from the forks (without breaking them)?

Thanks
Gerry

A little bit heat from a heat gun then a thin plastic car trim removal tool and they prise off reasonably easy

Thanks
Gerry

When I did mine (black not yellow) I took the easy way out via masking tape and rattle can! :D And btw Mr N, if this is a "refresh" then we're going to have to have words with the OED! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom