1992 R80GS Refresh

Some engines benefit from a lower oil level, less drag on rotating parts and an easier life for the oil. Thinking of XS 650 Yam.

More oil in the system will mean that the oil will run cooler, which is a good thing? You can also fit a thermostat to control the flow through the oil cooler to ensure the oil is hot enough! I don’t think excess crankcase pressure which can lead oil leaks is too much of an issue with airheads although someone may know otherwise.

Not so much for leaks (Guzzis don't leak!! :D) but the greater air volume in the sump means less fluctuation in crankcase pressure and therefore less oil lost through the breather.
Also, as Dean0no touched on it gives your oil an easier time and provides greater cooling via the greater surface area.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack, I was just curious as to why you add extra oil with BM's but not Guzzis?

Andres

Exhaust cat and tail pipe bolted back on and rear wiring harness fitted

Front brake bled and pannier rails on

They look the same as those on my 100GS (but in rather better condition!) :D

Actually no, mine don't have that locking arrangement. The locks on mine are flush with the clasp. I think yours may be a later model but should be a bit more robust / secure.

I seem to remember the left hand one was thinner to balance the width. They certainly were on my G/S.

They look the same as those on my 100GS (but in rather better condition!) :D

Actually no, mine don't have that locking arrangement. The locks on mine are flush with the clasp. I think yours may be a later model but should be a bit more robust / secure.

When I worked at BMW, on the 'car' side. I seem to remember the bulkier locks arrived with the introduction of the 'K' models. Prior to that they had those silly little locks that were fiddly to get the keys into.

I seem to remember the left hand one was thinner to balance the width. They certainly were on my G/S.

Yes. Apologies for the faffing about. SP is correct. However, I would not worry about it unless you want to enter the bike in a concourse competition. Just don't overload the panniers when you go away for a while.

When I worked at BMW, on the 'car' side. I seem to remember the bulkier locks arrived with the introduction of the 'K' models. Prior to that they had those silly little locks that were fiddly to get the keys into.

You are right , the panniers came originally with the smaller type locks/clasps and I removed them and fitted the later type locks which I then key coded to the ignition key so one key does everything

I have no intention of entering the bike into a concourse competition LOL so was quite happy to swap them out , I really just wanted to get everything mechanically right and tidy up the cosmetics

It's been as much about learning about Airheads and keeping myself entertained in lockdown as much as anything else

Slowly creeping towards completion with the lower engine crash bars , oil cooler , side stand , gear lever and front engine spoiler fitted

Upper crash bar loosely fitted ready for fitting the instrument carrier

Locks are correct for a K reg, same as my 1992 panniers except that the exhaust side one should be narrower to give a balanced profile.

Locks are correct for a K reg, same as my 1992 panniers except that the exhaust side one should be narrower to give a balanced profile.

As per previous post the left one is narrower so the panniers do have a balanced profile so all good , thanks to all for feedback and information

1ca31bb054f3d4a19c52c8ff453a3bc2.jpg

d9fd60f95516414006f385c165c2c52c.jpg

Got almost as far as I can with the build and now stopped waiting on parts

Instrument cluster back on plus the front fairing panels , screen , seat , SATNAV and the PD mudguard with extension

I've go a PD tank to go on instead of the standard GS tank but I'm waiting on new fuel taps and a new fuel cap

Still also to go on is the bash plate , I've got a single seat / rack coming next week and an indicator relay to enable the hazards

Need to fill the engine oil , gearbox oil and FD oil , will get that job done in the morning

Carbs will want setting up as will the timing

A question for those in the know - is the toolbox supposed to have a cover fitted ? Reason I ask is the seat doesn't seem to fit with the tool box cover on
(it didn't have one when I bought it and I assumed perhaps incorrectly that it was missing)

Back
Top Bottom