Vosges..... If JB says it’s good, then it must be

Wapping thanks for these Nav threads - reminds you that there is a world out there during lockdown

Thank you.

I had to sort out a load of things I’d kept a note of, so it was a good excuse to share the ones I thought would work for members of UKGSer. In doing so I wanted to make it easy for bods to find something that might suit them. More importantly, I also wanted to try to give a push to folk towards finding / creating other stuff of their own, rather than being spoon fed everything. I appreciate the latter is always a matter of balance. We have all had months of doing ‘nothing’ or at least, very little. There may yet be several more months of the same ahead of us all. If the threads give anyone some ideas or just a nudge towards giving it a go at creating their own holidays, then great. If not, then there’ll be the “Me and six mates, we want..... leaving Friday... or in three months” threads to look forward to :augie :D

There are some lovely towns a villages in Vosges and Alsace, but there are some properly shit ones too. Many are dilapidated ex-mining towns and villages.

It's an area I like and I have visited often. As ever, you need to find a balance that suits. At the opposite end of the spectrum to the shabby bits are the overly twee bits where stuff like the "Wine Route" has been Disneyfied. Riquewihr for example.

What is sometimes overlooked is that many of the towns and villages were smashed in 1944 thro’ the American / French advance up to Strasbourg and the Rhine, following the landings (largely ignored on these pages) on the Mediterranean coast. It saw some savage fighting, not least between the Allied generals involved.

The not unattractive town of Turckheim (close to Colmar) has quite a good amateur museum on the local battles, often in atrocious weather. The book ‘The guns at last light’ is worth reading, as the events form a part of it.

The advancing Allied armies also crossed the WW1 battlegrounds, themselves dreadful and preserved today.

Worth a detour, as Mr Michelin says.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zSK0zvNHd3E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like Turckheim as well, Tartiflette for lunch sitting in the little village having a panache to round it off, lovely part of the world as was said before

Dave

Agreed,unless you want chicken and chips every night....

True
There are far better
It’s a transit stop before I met 2 good chaps from here at the next hotel in Freiburg the following evening
That hotel - albeit in a suburb of Freiburg was a top notch place and good, beer and rooms was in a different league to the Bussang entirely and no othe Bikers in sight
We managed to blend in quite well with normal folk (it was frequented by locals and as such that must be a great recommendation)

Chicken and chips
Ham and chips
Ribs and chips
Fish and chips
Sausage and chips.....

e61ed7b9e5799f2474f6a8fd0396485f.jpg

Sounds lovely and so great to get into the local culture.....:)

We stayed there in 2015 on the way to RDGA.
It’s wasn’t my trip to plan and we all shared rooms.We were in a triple.
Never again.
I fucking hate sharing rooms.
The Hotel Du Bussang was fine for one night.
Loads of beer, cheap red wine and a bowl of soup, chicken and chips then apple pie and ice cream.

The place was packed with bikers, mainly Dutch and German.
Like I say, it was fine for one night and good if you’re on a budget,like sharing and don’t eat foreign muck.
Certainly not the place to take anyone special, unless you want to only have rowdy bikermates on every table....

Exactly my experience too

I stayed at Bussang for a coupe of days. It's down in a quarry with no view and a bit "bikermates" for me. I'm more into the type of place posted above by Arsey or this place looking across Munster to the Petit Ballon https://www.hotel-panorama-alsace.com/en/ - half board was excellent
each to their own mate, PS the quarry is a scree slope caused by fallen rock (primarily caused by the climate and the Chamois that can be watched from the garden)

Back
Top Bottom