Differences between a '14 and later year R Nine T suspension?

Jeremy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Did BMW change the standard suspension on the Nine T over the years? I had a 2014 bike which I found rock hard and I eventually upgraded the suspension to a Maxton unit. I'm hankering after n Urban G/S and wondering if I would again need to change the suspension or if BMW improved it in later years.

Cheers

Jeremy

I was in the same position, 2015 R9T quite hard but a different shock on the urban GS which to me is a little softer, but not by much and with slightly longer travel. If you felt the need to change the rear shock before I suspect you will do so on the Urban. I am considering which shock to get on mine and the cost effectiveness on a bike I don't do many miles on.

If you were used to the Maxton the bm stuff will disappoint. I have Maxton and think it's brill.

I have an Urban with a slightly longer Shock Factory M-shock fitted. You’re welcome to call in when lockdown allows to try mine for firmness (oo-er). I’m in Faversham near Whitstable

Obviously the Urban won’t have the same stiffer USD front forks as your previous bike, they might be more supple , the same goes for the rear as I think it has more suspension travel. However, the original was a more premium bike so do the Urban / Pure GS have more budget suspension?

Ian

I had to changed the rear as it was terrible,
to a Wilber + 25 mm on rear of my Urban, it’s so much better.
I been looking at raising the front forks but can’t seem to find anything that will do the job.

I had to changed the rear as it was terrible,
to a Wilber + 25 mm on rear of my Urban, it’s so much better.
I been looking at raising the front forks but can’t seem to find anything that will do the job.

I would like to echo the above. I have the exact same Wilber on my 16 plate R9T Sport and it has transformed the rear end of the bike; much more compliant and well worth the money (in my opinion).

As a comparison , I have a 2018 standard R9t, the front usd forks have separate compression and rebound damping adjustment and pre load, which does appear to work ok for me,
the rear looks to be the same budget item across the ranges, which like many I have replaced in my case a matris m46, as it was harsh and sag was incorrect even at 82kg,
it looks like 2017 on they went for the adjustable front , at the same time bringing out the other models with basic damper rod rwu forks,
while replacing the rear shock is a big improvement,
correct springs for sag and cartridge emulators are a good/significant upgrade to the damper rod forks and quite cheap,
Yss do an equivalent to the gold emulator valves at lower cost, either would improve the front compliance ,

Thanks for all the replies and advice:thumb2

2015 R9T here and I'm changing the rear shock to a Nitron, same as on my Ducati Monster.

Can I ask were you got them from, as I can’t see them on there site.
They are still on the site. Sure you’re looking at the right Luismoto? There’s another one with a similar name. You want the Italian one. Search BMW, RnineT family, Scrambler, suspension. They are actually only 20mm. My mistake.

Attachments

• D73C0CC0-4D95-4D2F-A20E-01BC58570CFD.jpg
    D73C0CC0-4D95-4D2F-A20E-01BC58570CFD.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 133

Back
Top Bottom