1995 BMW R1100GS Front Crank seal leaking

Freeman1100GS

Reaction score
I have a leak coming from underneath the cover on the front of the engine. When I removed the cover its a bit hard to tell where the leak is coming from but I am guessing is the front crank seal behind the lower pulley. Its either that or the bypass line (not sure what the name is) that runs from below the lower pulley up to the top. There is oil all over the place so its hard to tell.

Is this area prone to leaking? Am I on the right track?

I have been trying to find a video on how to replace the front seal and I can't find one anywhere that is unique to this motor. Can I assume that its pretty much the same as any other front crank seal video or is there something unique that I need to know?

Spray it all off with Brake cleaner and wipe it down so it is clean

Check the two bolts on the oil line are "Tight" and haven't loosened BUT Don't Go King Kong on them!! :rob

You can puff a dusting of Talcum powder on the area once dry

Leave the cover off the front and start the bike and STAY WITH IT!

Honestly Don't walk off! The number of people that go to answer a phone call or get a cup of coffee and then they look at their phones etc etc Next thing you know the poor thing is red hot and the oil window falls out and the hall sensors melt!

I've had to repair quite a few that ended up like this !

So start it and get a good torch out and watch for your leak develop If its that bad it should start leaking very quickly

If it is the front seal? Just get one from a bearing shop Don't splash the cash for those dopey BM seals! They are expensive and un necessary!! If you want the sizes use Realoem.com or give me a shout

My 2003 ADV has a weep from under the cover so was expecting i was going to have to change the front seal which I think is pn 11111341357. Looks like the size is 32x40x7mm (for a 2003 bike)? Have also been umming and ahhing about taking the front alternator support cover off as its corroding in the normal places and needs a repaint.... which then means I probably ought to change the alternator belt, as I have no idea when it was last done...

A job I did on my 11RS. As you say, it's a good opportunity to clean up the timing case and re-paint / coat it and the oil pipes etc. Not a huge job and if I can do it ... :D

A job I did on my 11RS. As you say, it's a good opportunity to clean up the timing case and re-paint / coat it and the oil pipes etc. Not a huge job and if I can do it ... :D

Did you take the alloy part off the engine Peter or clean it and paint in situ ?

Took it off Jay. Had it coated iirc. There'll be pics somewhere on the old RS forum, I guess!

I was trying to remember as its been "cough cough" quite a while, since I did one

Do you remember if you have to free off the front wishbone and pull it forward to allow you to get the cover off

Now you come to mention it, I think I did have to do that! One of those jobs that grew and grew. If I was doing it now, I'd do it in situ with abrasive paper and lots of elbow grease and silver smoothrite.

I found this a week or two back. I've not heard you had to remove the wishbone as its on the main block and the case front comes off without removing it.

Case Painting

and the linked post in that thread..

Corrosion before

Also meant to post this for the seal...

Attachments

• 11111341357 seal.jpeg
    11111341357 seal.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 280
I found this a week or two back. I've not heard you had to remove the wishbone as its on the main block and the case front comes off without removing it

That's because that is a 1200 !!!!

You can't get the Front engine alloy cover off the crankshaft end unless you remove the through engine bolt

to move the wheel and forks and wishbone forwards about an inch to allow the lower part forward enough, to slide out and down past the cranks shaft end

Bugger! I (obviously) didn’t realise there was a difference between the two wishbones. My 1150 - The gift that keeps on giving.

The front cover on my 1999 R1150GS had a couple of drops a week leak on the front cover (it had taken a smack at some stage, enough to "ding" the casting), it wasn't enough of a leak to bother fixing just annoying, then we got the HARD Covid lockdown here (much more Draconian than yours), so nothing better to do I pulled the cover, fixed the drip, screwed the seal up twice fitting the cover with the seal in place :blast

Got it right third time, with cover still in place, used a Viton seal not the BMW one, I removed the front shock and lifted the wishbone with a strap and could get the cover in and out. :beer:

Would I have done it without Lockdown, no chance. :D

The front cover on my 1999 R1150GS had a couple of drops a week leak on the front cover (it had taken a smack at some stage, enough to "ding" the casting), it wasn't enough of a leak to bother fixing just annoying, then we got the HARD Covid lockdown here (much more Draconian than yours), so nothing better to do I pulled the cover, fixed the drip, screwed the seal up twice fitting the cover with the seal in place :blast

Got it right third time, with cover still in place, used a Viton seal not the BMW one, I removed the front shock and lifted the wishbone with a strap and could get the cover in and out. :beer:

Would I have done it without Lockdown, no chance. :D

Where did you get your seal from?

Double lip? https://www.lancashireoilseals.co.u...hmsa10v)/?Page_ID=3610&refpid=96719&id=832041

Sorted - found a post from Dr. Farkoff saying double lip. Ordered two in case I err, mangle the first one. Not sure about having to preform the lip rather than just easing it on....

Sorted - found a post from Dr. Farkoff saying double lip. Ordered two in case I err, mangle the first one. Not sure about having to preform the lip rather than just easing it on....

It doesn't have to be double lip any decent rubber seal of the correct size is the job :thumb

Double lip just helps keep the dirt out

Back
Top Bottom