iPhone map apps

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right I’m looking for an gps app for my iPhone.
This is my criteria;

Must work with iPhone and Mac

Must be able to plan routes on the Mac and send to iPhone

Must be able to download maps to use offline (with brexit they may start charging for data usage in Europe again)

No subscription fee, don’t mind a one off payment but not paying a monthly charge

Would like it to be able to plan routes off road as well if possible.

Tough ask I know.

No idea,
I use an android phone..
And laptop..
Hoo and a computer...!!!

I had a feeling this would be an awkward one. Sold my Nav six but do have an older nav 5 coming for the bike info screen. I’ve got maps me on my phone which works ok but I can’t plan routes with that.

Try my route app, they have a nav for mobile app as well as the mac stuff, that is what I use. Subscription, wise I paid a lifetime gold membership. But you can try for free to see if it works for you.

Ok point taken, please. I’m sure garment used to do a nav app but can’t find it, was about £40 for lifetime maps.

Try my route app, they have a nav for mobile app as well as the mac stuff, that is what I use. Subscription, wise I paid a lifetime gold membership. But you can try for free to see if it works for you.

This looks pretty good, best one I’ve seen so far. Can’t see a lifetime membership only 3years?

It looks like the ‘Gold’ lifetime basis has been withdrawn. I bought ‘Gold’ several years ago.

Right I’m looking for an gps app for my iPhone.
This is my criteria;

Must work with iPhone and Mac

Must be able to plan routes on the Mac and send to iPhone

Must be able to download maps to use offline (with brexit they may start charging for data usage in Europe again)

No subscription fee, don’t mind a one off payment but not paying a monthly charge

Would like it to be able to plan routes off road as well if possible.

Tough ask I know.

My route app or calimoto

Both subscription services

Just to add some more to the mix I would like to be able to import gpx files as well

That’s seems to be the way now, tie you in to a subscription that auto renews.

That’s the way of life.
House on credit
Car on credit

Apps on credit

That’s the way of life.
House on credit
Car on credit

Apps on credit

Unfortunately I’m a dinosaur and like to pay for things once and be done with it, mortgage excluded.

I use the my route app, it works perfect on Apple products. You can also write a route and transfer it in GPX file to a nav easy enough.
For use in Europe, I take pre written routes on my iPhone and the same on the iPad, this way I can edit it easy enough on the iPad, if we decide over night to visit a different destination.

The difference between the subscription version and the free version is , or was, the mapping. The free version just had a basic google maps formula for the uk and hardly nothing for Europe.
I subscribed annually, but every time renewal comes up I get offered a one off gold payment version at heavily reduced discount.
My advice would be to try the free version, if it works , subscribe, if it don’t ......nothing lost

The best one going a few years back was motogoloco, I used that religiously. Sadly google forced it to close down

I use the my route app, it works perfect on Apple products. You can also write a route and transfer it in GPX file to a nav easy enough.
For use in Europe, I take pre written routes on my iPhone and the same on the iPad, this way I can edit it easy enough on the iPad, if we decide over night to visit a different destination.

The difference between the subscription version and the free version is , or was, the mapping. The free version just had a basic google maps formula for the uk and hardly nothing for Europe.
I subscribed annually, but every time renewal comes up I get offered a one off gold payment version at heavily reduced discount.
My advice would be to try the free version, if it works , subscribe, if it don’t ......nothing lost

The best one going a few years back was motogoloco, I used that religiously. Sadly google forced it to close down

I am looking at the my route app and think it looks very promising. I also have BBR on my phone and was hoping I could import the GPX files from that into an app.

Unfortunately I’m a dinosaur and like to pay for things once and be done with it, mortgage excluded.

Calimoto is a one off payment of 60 quid for all of the maps.

This gives you all of the offline maps and editing features etc.

Only things it doesn’t give you is superwinding roads. I never use this setting, it’s too windy, takes you along tracks etc.
No speed camera alerts. No lean angle.

Or 40 quid a year for everything, which is not a lot.
It does have a fiver a week option if you are using it just for holidays.

I don’t want the app to plan my routes entirely, I only really use software to route me when I just want to get somewhere. I want control to plan my route with as many shaping or way points as possible on the Mac then send the file to the phone. The curvy winding roads features is not something I’ve used.

Scenic - plan in Kurviger and import to the phone app - there is a big thread on AdvRider re this
Calimoto - there is a web based planner that works well - I recently imported the gpx files that OddJob recently shared and worked well
https://calimoto.com/en

I think you can go subscription or one off payment

My experience of phone Nav apps is they all have their good and bad points. By using them you will find what app suits you in any given circumstance.

ie. if I just want to go from A to B with limited fuss with up to date traffic and a clear easy to read interface apple maps is hard to beat. I also use Waze for the same thing, it has a motor cycle routing option that is useful around built up areas.

I’ve used Scenic in conjunction with Kurviker with some success but found it’s routing algorithms a little weird at times so lost confidence with it.

My go to app at the moment is calimoto. I’ve used it in Spain and France last year and was impressed with its routing. You can plan routes on a lap top using waypoints and shaping points, what I really like is you can set the type of roads you want to use between shaping points from motorway to ultra twisty. You can try it for free to see if you like it as well.

I only use MyRoute-app now for planning routes that will be used by my garmin. I did try their phone gps app but couldn’t get on with it however that was in its infancy. It may have improved now.

I am a maps man, I love to visualise routes and plan in detail the roads I want to ride. The sat Nav just guides me on my chosen route. However calimoto has sent me down some amazing roads I’d probably never have found including some in the area I live.

Try as many apps as you can to see what works for you, just don’t do it when you’re leading a group of bikes or you will become highly frustrated DAMHIK

Back
Top Bottom