2021 V85tt wheels @ £700 a set?

Vulpine2

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Snippet on v85tt FB page that the 2021 tubeless wheels will be listed at 690 Euros + VAT a pair, same as I've seen elsewhere.
Be good if they hold that price for the UK as just over £700 a set all in (at current exchange rates) is not an extortionate price. Still a shed load of cash of course - but WAY better than the prices asked for aftermarket wheels (and better looking too IMHO).

I reckon we'll see a few secondhand 2019/20 wheels on the market soon. Might they fit the V7/V9? If so, could be useful for those owners who want to go spoked and aren't bothered about tubeless.

Sounds good and in my view worth £700 ish. Wonder if these are manufactured by the same company making the original tubed wheels and if the spokes are stainless.

Tubed tims will probably be a bargain once the tubelss are available.

Yeah, you can just see there being a difference in the spindle, spacers, collars, abs ring etc which require some ingenuity if the bits cannot be sourced, surely not beyond most competent Tossers.

As well as the retrofit question does anyone know if the price is for an assembled wheel or just all the components that then need to go to a wheel builder? Whatever it’s way waaay cheaper than Kineos wheels at £2000+ per pair and probably better value than Bartubliss and other sealant type solutions. Watching with keen interest.

Bit more info...

https://evolutionbike.it/motoguzzistore/moto-guzzi-genuine-parts/v85-tt/v85-tt-0/frame-7.html

This is for the 2019/20 models and lists the complete front wheel at 250 Euro plus VAT (i.e. around ££260 all in) and the rear for 375 Euro plus VAT (£400ish). I'm reading this as fully built wheels. Individual component parts are also shown and priced seperately.
If correct that would make a set around £660 - and a tubeless 2021 wheelset for £700 ish quite possible.

The snippet on FB was an owner quoting Guzzi dealer 2021 parts prices. Typically, I now can't find it...

Moto guzzi wheels

Just converted my 2020 wheels to tubeless......both done and holding pressure and no issues. Has cost me £40 to convert both wheels after watching youtube

Done a double process as belt and braces to make sure it works. Tyres off at local bike guy. Clean centre of wheels with white spirit. Plastidip spray all spoke heads several times and then the base of the rim several times, building the thickness of the coating. Plastidip is like flexible rubber when it dries and has very good temperature ranges (hot and cold). Then run 3M 5400 tape on top and around whole rim (some just do the tape only) New valves 8mm. Tyres back on at bike shop. Plastidip and 3M tape cost me £40 to do both wheels and it works well......I am not mechanical and managed it ...... and far cheaper than £700 for new wheels. And feel quite proud of my achievement

Attachments

• B7CFAC89-0FFD-460A-94A3-9508906ED715.jpg
    B7CFAC89-0FFD-460A-94A3-9508906ED715.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 944
  • C3B9BED3-EC93-4D8D-AF6F-1C94F2F8D891.jpg
    C3B9BED3-EC93-4D8D-AF6F-1C94F2F8D891.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 942
I'm a little nervous about converting my bicycle tyres to tubeless so am proper impressed with this. Good work - got to be worth a go for that sort of outlay...

I have to say I am fairly basic on DIY on bikes but it was good. Watched a few you tube examples and the 3M 5400 tape is the key element but using another method to seal the spoke ends seems a good “double” protection. Some advocate marine sealant but thought that would be messy and bulky so a plastidip spray seemed a good idea....seems good to get deep into spoke heads. Motorbike shop guy thought it look good and should work when he was putting tyres on and he has been doing bikes for 50 years.......time will determine whether it is a long term

I will carry the tubes I removed and at least if I have a major problem then if I am recovered they can fix me and I will have the right tube sizes

I've done this 3 times now. I believe the key is 'Take your time' and make sure everything is as clean as a clean thing and work in a warm room.. I used the 3M marine sealant and the 3M tape. Put a small blob of sealant into each spoke seat, leave 24hrs then return and really press the sealant into the spoke seat. Top up the sealant with just enough to fill the well of the spoke seat, leave a further 48 hrs then press it all in again, a little acetone can be used to smooth it out. The sealant takes several days to fully cure.
I applied the tape in 24cm lengths, overlapping each slightly then cutting through the two with a stanley knife to get a perfect match. I found it much easier to work with the shorter lengths and got all of the air out. Fit your valve after the tape stage and add a little sealant. I then left it all in a warm room for 48hrs.
On this, my third attempt, I replaced the rim protector and placed a thin bead of sealant around the edges of the protector adding a further seal and preventing the rim protectors from moving around the rim and blocking the valve. This happened to me on my first attempt.
Although my first two attempts where reasonably successful they did lose some air (maybe 2lb per month). I've had the latest attempt inflated to 50lb sq in for around 4 weeks now and they have not lost a drop.
My feeling is, that it does take several days to do them properly, If any air can get to the sealant before it is fully cured, it will blow through it.

Yes that’s the method I saw on YouTube. I did mine in the house to to keep it warm. I put the plastidip can in a warm jug to ensure it worked better and kept building up the spray over a few days (it drys in 4 hours for another coat). Then when all dried it is the 3M tape.

Some do it with just the 3M tape but I think the 2 stage process is a double safety. I also wish that I had piped and spread extra sealant at the edge of the 3M tape like wrinklyowl but I only thought this after I had put the tyres back on but mine holding so probably not necessary but I would do next time

as a foot note to the start of this thread which was about the new 85tt have tubeless tyres and how much to buy a new pair...and whether they will fit. I think you will find that updates/revisions by Moto Guzzi will not be everything changing for the sake of it and to screw extra money from us. Moto Guzzi tend to use tried and tested parts. I believe even the latest 85tt uses a starter motor which is fairly generic and been out several years

unlike BMW who change everything even though they dont need to. Alter the top box rack from GS1200 2013/2018 to the GS1250 2019 on so you have to buy a new mounting plate, When they changed the GSA 2012 to the GSA 2013 lc the metal top box couldnt change over because whilst the box was the same the metal bracket on the bottom had been changed...unnecessary but cynical exploitation to make us buy a new top box ! Lots of examples of similar unnecessary changes to screw extra money from us

As you might gather I fell out of love with BMW as I think they are living of an old reputation for build quality which isnt there now. They make a great technological bike but too many warranty issues for long term ownership and very expensive unless you do PCP and then they have you hooked. Whereas I think Guzzi are the other way and have a poor reputation for quality from the past but are much better now and as I get older a bit more back to basic. What is the point of mulyi electronic suspension when I dont alter the setting...just a big expense and dear to replace when it fails (i understand 20 to 30k miles is the norm on a bmw and then it needs rebuilding)

Rent over. BMW is a great bike and who knows in a few years....but for now I feel special having a Guzzi. It gets far more comments and looks. I have been told what a great looker it is from many which I never got with the BMW

How do these wheel modifications to tubeless fit with insurance companies or type approval etc?

Insurance companies can get very insistant that they are notified of modifications - some say that's fine just as long as we know, yet the other end of the scale are those who increase premiums or apply terms even for the addition of crash bobbins, alterations to screen or seat or even just stickers. I try to find a company who are quite liberal about tnat kind of thing, but upon every renewal check they have not changed the terms or small print. In the event of an accident, unlikely the assessor will notice a tubeless conversion unless the wheel is damaged and even then will they actually know it came from the factory with tubed rims, probably not.

Told a mate about the tubeless rims on the 2021 model and like me he would be keen to get a set of the new wheels if not too expensive and he spoke to his insurance company about this - ha ha, no surprise they refused to cover the bike so the broker requoted with a company who would, the accident excess increased from £250 to £600, they would not replace the tubeless rims with new ones if they got damaged, but would have the factory tubed ones fitted. Add to this insult, the increase in premium by 30%.

The wrong company clearly would take a very negative view of wheel mods, tread carefully and find the right insurer. May seem loke scaremongery, but in the worst case scenario it could backfire badly if you have an unsympathetic insurer lets say.

Just reviving this thread, as I'm thinking of a tubeless conversion for my front wheel. The previous owner of my V85TT already did a sealant job on the rear wheel and it's still holding pressure perfectly (after at least 5000 miles).

AF1 have the wheels on their site https://www.af1racing.com/oem-moto-guzzi-tubeless-front-wheel-for-19-21-v85-af1-2b007331 - I'll ping a call to Gutsibits at some point soon. It appears the rotors, spacers and spindle are all compatible... (I already asked Teasdales and they wanted £400 ish for a front wheel when I gave them the part number I'm hoping Gutsibits will be cheaper)

I'll either buy a new tubeless (and try to sell my current front wheel hopefully making the net price sensible!!!) MG wheel, or convert as some of you guys have done (thanks John and wrinklyowlie for the details and pics). I already pinged Doug Richardson, to see about a new tubeless rim built onto my existing hub, but it would cost more than a new genuine Guzzi wheel... (altho I am sure Doug's wheels are awesome!)

Planning an overseas trip on the Guzzi later in 2022, and would have more peace of mind with tubeless (and my Stop n Go with mini compressor)...

So - has anyone purchased the 21/22 Guzzi tubeless wheel and done the upgrade???

Back
Top Bottom