How to gain confidence?

This might be a little left field idea, but trials would teach you loads about bike control, it's the least ego led branch of offroad bike stuff, no one cares what bike or gear you have Andy training days are quite reasonable, around £150 for a days training, if you like it buy a bike for say £1200, join a club and do some practising then enter a few easy trials. You will fall off, a lot at first but experience improves your skills.

Whilst I can’t help you with your confidence,
I can tell you that the bike you have is very capable,
If it’s still pretty much as it used to be then the chances of it getting damaged with a few light drops are minimal.:thumb

Whilst I can’t help you with your confidence,
I can tell you that the bike you have is very capable,
If it’s still pretty much as it used to be then the chances of it getting damaged with a few light drops are minimal.:thumb

The suspensin has been fully serviced. Otherwise, yes it is as you built it, the seat has been slightly modified in the padding department and new cover put on. It is now on 21" and 18" - Simon Pavey's wheels. They have MT21s on, which apparently are rubbish, but were recommended. maybe the shop wanted rid of them! They will have to be good enough for my early rides.

I have tried looking at the TEt thing too - but I can't fathom the website. I have been looking at it for about 4 years and still haven't worked out where any of the lanes are in The Peak District. I think some of the lanes are private farm drives, which doesn't seem quite right to me, even though we probably know the owners.

Timolgra - the TRF guys I spoke to rdie enduro bikes and said they were experienced and not there for newcomers. I asked if I could join them at their pub meeting to meet them before joining and was categorically told no. Another group was more welcoming - but they were Somerset and 250 miles away. I hear above that Wiltshire are also more welcoming to newcomers - but again 250 miles away. It doesn't matter at the moment as we can't go out, so I was hoping to practice a bit on the farm and wanted some hints and tips to use. There are some lonty bits on the Weaver Hills, but it is grassland, not a track. I wonder if it is a bit beyond me on my own too.

Private messages from some members on here have generously offered to help me out when we can get to meet up again. I would like to try and do a bit before then, to get me going. Maybe I am not as bad as I think I am? I don't know. I do know I can't ride like a scrambler!

Here Is a FREE video from the BMW ORS to give you some tips & hints . I’ve not watched it all but I imagine they’ll show you the “riding with the front wheel locked” as mentioned at the start of the thread :thumb2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nM4y8J-5ZCA&feature=youtu.be

What you may notice is the first thing they teach you is how to pick the bike up. I would say thats because its pretty much impossible to learn to ride Offroad without falling off or dropping the bike.

I did a bit of green Laning about 10yrs agp withthe help of some of the lads on here . I had NEVER strayed from tarmac before so I was tense , rigid and worried about falling off. You don’t ever want to fall off on the road , as on the road it’s more commonly known as crashing and usually results in injury & a lot of expensive damage.

I fell off several times on my first day Offroad but it’s usually around walking pace (momentum is your friend) , you quickly realise it’s minimal damage to the bike and hopefully none yourself and you come to accept it , learn from it and actually enjoy it . Good luck and have fun! :thumb

Ian

Here Is a FREE video from the BMW ORS to give you some tips & hints . I’ve not watched it all but I imagine they’ll show you the “riding with the front wheel locked” as mentioned at the start of the thread :thumb2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nM4y8J-5ZCA&feature=youtu.be

What you may notice is the first thing they teach you is how to pick the bike up. I would say thats because its pretty much impossible to learn to ride Offroad without falling off or dropping the bike.

I did a bit of green Laning about 10yrs agp withthe help of some of the lads on here . I had NEVER strayed from tarmac before so I was tense , rigid and worried about falling off. You don’t ever want to fall off on the road , as on the road it’s more commonly known as crashing and usually results in injury & a lot of expensive damage.

I fell off several times on my first day Offroad but it’s usually around walking pace (momentum is your friend) , you quickly realise it’s minimal damage to the bike and hopefully none yourself and you come to accept it , learn from it and actually enjoy it . Good luck and have fun! :thumb

Ian

Thank you. I shall watch it after the cricket! Off to bed now, early start for the last day of the test.

I was with Tim in Iceland with my Geordie friends.

Tim was off in the distance with my friends in hot pursuit and I was at the back with another inmate on here going at my own pace and having a great time.

My dodgy knee doesn't allow me to stand all the time and I'm getting more than a bit old now.

I fell off only once in the deep volcanic sand - no pain and no damage.

At the end of the two weeks of learning from Tim I was going much quicker and my confidence had grown.

Time on the bike is all you need and someone to point you in the right direction when you aren't sure about things.

At the end of the two weeks of learning from Tim I was going much quicker and my confidence had grown....

I found picking up used fag butts from the street and asking for loose change a bit intimidating at first too, but got there in the end. Just sitting back and watching how to do it was a great help ....

I found picking up used fag butts from the street and asking for loose change a bit intimidating at first too, but got there in the end. Just sitting back and watching how to do it was a great help ....

😂😂😂.

Cracker and oh so true 👍

Hi mate ,plenty lanes near Bridgnorth if you fancy trying them out. Relatively mild stuff. Cheers

Thank you. I need to get the bike fixed first. Sat hasn't done it any favours. The chain has gone rusty, despite being lubed (sat out all winter) and general bits - battery etc.

Back
Top Bottom