R1250GSA - best hugger and / or mud-sling?

I have a Mudsling and the Wunderlich infill panels on my R1250GS, and that works fine for me. Personally I wouldn't have a hugger, there are some real horror stories around of them coming loose and/or the brackets breaking/fracturing, including Puig ones. Prior to my GS, I owned a Triumph Tiger 1200, and many owners on the Tiger forum also complained of them coming loose and/or breaking. Between the two it seems more the brackets fracture rather than come loose, but for that reason I will never fit one to my GS (and just to mention I did have a Puig one on my Tiger 1200 with no problem at all previously). I'm not sure it's necessarily a problem where lots of them break, just some, and of course those are the only ones you hear of, but in all honesty, it's not a chance I want to take again now I am aware that one may break/fracture and I'm happy with the weather protection both the Mudsling and Wunderlich side panel inserts provide in any case. Many owners are very happy with the huggers they have fitted, as I say you only ever get to read the horror stories on forums, but they were enough for me.

Might be worth having a read of this thread https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/547493-Rear-Hugger-Bolts-Loosening

Most of what I've read (the bold bit in your quote) talks about the horror stories but I haven't actually seen any horror stories - just lots of people talking about horror stories. I'd be interested in reading any first-hand stories.

Most of what I've read (the bold bit in your quote) talks about the horror stories but I haven't actually seen any horror stories - just lots of people talking about horror stories. I'd be interested in reading any first-hand stories.

My story is that my 2015 Puig hugger has done 50,000miles across two bikes, been on and off many times and is doing just fine thanks.

std hugger and mudsling work for me dont forget the front extenda fender too ,stops the engine getting pebbledashed

Thanks DC, yes, the dealer is fitting a front fender extender. The bike has the “Billet” pack and has a nice engine front casing cover which I want to keep clean.

Thanks DC, yes, the dealer is fitting a front fender extender. The bike has the “Billet” pack and has a nice engine front casing cover which I want to keep clean.

Would you mind posting some photos of your ‘billet pack’. I’d like this as an option next time round but haven’t really seen any decent photos of it apart from the HP version. Thanks

Would you mind posting some photos of your ‘billet pack’. I’d like this as an option next time round but haven’t really seen any decent photos of it apart from the HP version. Thanks

I certainly will get some detailed images for you when she arrives - hopefully the middle of next week; she is the HP Rallye version though.

The pack encompasses the cylinder head covers, engine facing, mirrors, levers and footrests.

She is getting some other stuff fitted at present (luggage and full Akrapovic system fitted so far) and this is her as of last Friday in Vines workshop.

Attachments

• E8CF7E5F-7177-48A2-9D90-A26F64EBE0A0.jpg
    E8CF7E5F-7177-48A2-9D90-A26F64EBE0A0.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 403

The cast aluminium mounting bracket on my Puig hugger fractured on tour in northern Italy in 2010. I’ve seen a few photos of similar fractures on the GS LC Puig huggers too.

Anyone tried a Chinese copy, on eBay for under £30.
It’s only a bit of plastic cable tied on after all.

Have a go with a seach for chinese mudsling, there is a ton of info in here. It has been done to death before.

Yes and I got rid of it and replaced it with a Mudsling - the Chinese copy rubbed on the inside of the shaft drive, Mudsling is a much better fit and a bit deeper so gives better protection IMO.

I have the chinese one. It rubs on one screw of the drive shaft so I cut the groove with dremel tool and it's ok now.

I bought the BMW Radiator and splash guard set. £75 on ebay at the mo. The Rad guards are plastic but fit perfectly obviuosly. Only just got the bike so not tried them out yet.
I also bought the Fender extender and alternative "mudsling" from M&P. The fender extender was fine, the cheap mudsling however touched the swing arm and just didnt fit very well. I bit the bullet and got the Machine ART items from NNs and theres no comparison on the Mudsling, fit quality etc is so much better (which it should be for the price).

Ive no doubt with a bit of fettling the M&P Mudsling could be made to fit, pays your money.....

Mudsling fitted and the Machineart front fender extender. Never felt the need for infill panels, you need to wash the shock and it is just another thing to take off.

Nice machine Colin. Black panniers are better for displaying your stickers :D

Back
Top Bottom