R1250GSA - best hugger and / or mud-sling?

leasky

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
N.E Scotland / Middle of the sand pit....
I am returning to the GSA fold after 5 years on a S1000XR and will be receiving a R1250GSA Rallye soon (demonstrator from Vines) and I would like to ask the brethren what would be the best option(s) for keeping the worst of the shite off the rear of the bike?

I don’t intend to take her off-road but do plan to use her extensively for two up touring (once a degree of normality returns).

I have mentioned in another thread that Vines are reluctant to fit a Puig hugger (supplied to them via Nippy Normans); obviously I would have no issue with fitting same if it is the best / preferred option.

Any thoughts on what would be best to fit would be greatly appreciated.

Huggers don't do much on the GS.
I have one of the Puig ones fitted as well as their infill panels and a Mudsling. In a bid to stop the crap that the GS flings around with gay abandon the hugger was the first to be fitted, then the infill panels and finally the Mudsling.
The infill panels will help keep you and your pillion clean, the Mudsling keeps the rear shock clean.

std hugger and mudsling work for me dont forget the front extenda fender too ,stops the engine getting pebbledashed

Puig hugger, mud sling and front extender work well for me

I have a Mudsling and the Wunderlich infill panels on my R1250GS, and that works fine for me. Personally I wouldn't have a hugger, there are some real horror stories around of them coming loose and/or the brackets breaking/fracturing, including Puig ones. Prior to my GS, I owned a Triumph Tiger 1200, and many owners on the Tiger forum also complained of them coming loose and/or breaking. Between the two it seems more the brackets fracture rather than come loose, but for that reason I will never fit one to my GS (and just to mention I did have a Puig one on my Tiger 1200 with no problem at all previously). I'm not sure it's necessarily a problem where lots of them break, just some, and of course those are the only ones you hear of, but in all honesty, it's not a chance I want to take again now I am aware that one may break/fracture and I'm happy with the weather protection both the Mudsling and Wunderlich side panel inserts provide in any case. Many owners are very happy with the huggers they have fitted, as I say you only ever get to read the horror stories on forums, but they were enough for me.

Might be worth having a read of this thread https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/547493-Rear-Hugger-Bolts-Loosening

I tried the MachineArt Mudsling, does it's job but wanted to put the Wunderlich lower infill panels on
So I went the whole shooting match and got the Wunderlich version of the mudsling. Mainly because it is held in place by a bolt and not cable ties
and combined with the infills does a very good job
As said before, the MachineArt front extender does it's job really well and I think looks good
Non of them are cheap.....but you always have the option of copies

Attachments

• 1123.jpg
    1123.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 969
  • 1124.jpg
    1124.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 964
  • 1126.jpg
    1126.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 969
  • 1125.jpg
    1125.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 958
The Ilmberger Carbon hugger is much better quality than the Puig one and fixes much more securely (no breaking mounting brackets or torque arm bolts) :thumb2

You still get mucky though....

Attachments

• 45462231-4C50-42F4-B325-C0F82E13F427.jpeg
    45462231-4C50-42F4-B325-C0F82E13F427.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 954
  • D456A8C3-64BE-4BB1-9153-99DA11D64FA1.jpeg
    D456A8C3-64BE-4BB1-9153-99DA11D64FA1.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 958
The infill panels do a great job
Didn't want a hugger on this bike, quite like the quirky whatever it is, whatever it does plastic thing at the back of the wheel

Limberger hugger for me.

MachineArt fenda-extenda and Mudsling with Puig side panels and lower heat shield for exhaust for me.
84fe4a6fbd527e6cba071521adb0cc87.jpg
d4b29777e60ce5f21058cfb51e24a2d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

The infill panels do a sturdy job when it gets a bit mucky but some muck will still get the back of the legs

Attachments

• 1128.jpg
    1128.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 929
  • 1129.jpg
    1129.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 923
I had a second hand Ilmberger Carbon hugger, agree very well made and secure, it worked after a fashion.
Then had some infill bags on for one trip and noted that greatly reduced splatter on my lower trousers, so would agree with above positive comments for the infill panels.
Tried one of the copy "mudslingers" and that also showed an improvement.
If you have the panniers on I think that also will deflect some of the mess from passenger?

Will the wonderlich infill panels fit with a machine art Mudsling?

I like the look of them rather than the purge ones, and hoped they would fit with the Mudsling I already have fitted.

Thanks

Bubb

Attachments

• 100657.jpg
    100657.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 840
Absolutely, I have the Wunderlich side panels fitted with the Mudsling. In fact the picture that NN use on their website is of my R1250GS - as shown in the picture above that HGS attached

Have tried both Hugger and Mudsling and TBH i much prefer the Mudsling.
Don't waste your money on the Hugger as the Mudsling does a better job in my opinion.

The cheap version of the Mudsling does the same job as the expensive one, so shop around..

I can confirm the the Mudsling fits with the Wunderlich side panels, which are great.
fe60598bc4a0da46b20eae5cb4380023.jpg

386e05adcccffd82738ee27a5ce33a1a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom