New bike purchase

Richard Haycock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks, newbie seeking advice.
I'm looking to purchase a new 2021 1250GS or 1250GS.
I am 5'7 with an inside leg of 29 inches and no youngster. I currently ride a lowered S1000XR SE which I sometimes struggle with seat height wise particularly riding two up. I also ride a GS Urban with standard seat height solo without too much of an issue.

I would like to purchase a GSA but wonder if I'm better suited to the GS. I'm currently looking at the Rallye package with pillion package on both bikes.

Is this suspension/seat combo the lowest possible?
Would the GSA still offer greater travel suspension than the GS in this combination?
I would like to flat foot whichever bike I purchase, will this be possible?
Why is the aluminium luggage approx 700 quid dearer if bought with the GS when compared to the GSA? Does this include the top box or is this the price for the panniers alone?
I notice the bars are wider on the GSA...how does this effect a longer ride for someone vertically challenged like myself and is the ride position different in any other ways?
Can anyone with experience of riding a lowered S1000XR tell me how the ride height compares to the lowest GS/GSA setting options? The seat heights are similar at 790/800mm but I imagine the width of the GS/A is narrower?
What is this 'ultra low seat' I've seen refered to, i cant seem to see it on the configurator?
I realise that's a lot of questions and that this will most likely have been gone through multiple times before, but any help would be appreciated.

I’m sure someone of a similar height can help, not me I’m afraid.

I didn't go a bundle on the vibey XR but did quite a few miles on the GSA, I’ve only seen factory lowered GSs not GSAs. A number of the dealers down south had lowered GSs that could be tested.

Good luck and welcome

you are obviously purchasing from a dealer ? ask them, thats why you pay a premium price. The GSA is ,or was most definetly, available in a lower version, My friend had a 2019 1200.

There are quite a few seat variants for both bikes, high low and std, these can also be set using the adjusters under the seat. The single Rallye seat is also available in Low, but they are quite wide,so tend to throw your legs outwards.

Best of luck with your purchase

As a rider with similar build i may be able to offer some insight

Unless things have changed, the GSA is approx 30mm taller in seat height than the GS

GS comes in at 875mm The GSA at 907mm

You can get the GA & GSA in factory low versions which take supposedly 30mm off the height

So theoretically you should get 845mm & 877mm as seat height

The Seat itself get approximatly 20mm adjustment so you end up with

GS - 825mm 845 865mm & GSA 857mm 877 907mm theoretically

Except !

The LC models have a 60mm wider seat at it's narrowest section

so it effectivly wipes out the height reduction by speading your legs wider - net result you still will be tippy toes / one flat foot

The ultra low seat was made by Kahedo , but he is no longer doing seats, so TT believe have bought the tools / rights

this takes the low seat down by another 20mm so you then end up with

GS 805mm 825 845mm & GSA 837mm 857 987mm

I had a lowered hexhead 30mm on the shocks & a low seat came in at 790mm i think no worries at all when it came to junctions & stopping

The Factory low with ultralow seat is good, but i'd like the ability to get just a bit more of my feet in contact with the ground

You still have that dab down cross check whenever you stop

I have same leg and have the 1200GSA low with the standard seat. It works just fine with either both pad of feet down or full flat foot. I test rode a 1250 GS low and it was too low for me. So if it’s GS you go for try out a standard with a low seat and if it’s GSA try out a low with either standard or low seat.

BTW I now believe that it is tue that you get used to it and do not need both feet down.....I had always thought otherwise but have changed my opinion based on the GSA and on my next bike I will be much less concerned about seat height.

Thanks for the replies.
I'm still trying to work out if a lowered GSA with pillion package has a lower seat height than a lowered GSA with low seat on the 2021 bike? Dealer seems as confused as me.

Back
Top Bottom