Why are they all automatic?

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Now I remember the days when Lambretta scooters used to have gears operated from a twist grip on the left hand side. So why is it all scooters these days are automatic regardless of manufacturer? Why have they all taken this decision, what is the reasoning behind it?

Just curious.

A few reasons. I’m sure it’s to make them more user friendly and easy for a novice or a non biker to operate. In the same way as the Honda 50 didn’t force the new rider to learn the use of a clutch lever. Worked for them. I’d imagine that it’s cheaper to produce a gearless transmission too. JJH

A few reasons. I’m sure it’s to make them more user friendly and easy for a novice or a non biker to operate. In the same way as the Honda 50 didn’t force the new rider to learn the use of a clutch lever. Worked for them. I’d imagine that it’s cheaper to produce a gearless transmission too. JJH

Not far wrong ;)

Plus its cheaper in terms of maintence & to produce

Twist and go - aimed at the average car driver / novice

The other thing is a well ridden Burgman 400 or Tmax 500/550 will leave most sports bikes in there wake on acceleration from the lights upto 50/60. In the case of the tmax probably more. Even my lowly Piaggio 4 stroke 125 would leave all cars standing from the lights upto 35, then you get mullered!

The auto boxes or variomatic on the Piaggio means power is delivered constantly no gap between changes

Because changing gear is a fag if you’re wearing flip flops or have a coffee in your left hand...

With a scooter you can wear and hold the above and still scorch all others away from the lights

Back
Top Bottom