After 20K miles on the 1250 GS & 1250GS ADV - A honest review

But, but, but.....both the US and Mexico are currently rampant with CV19. Why were you out for three weeks riding bikes and possibly infecting loads of people?

But, but, but.....both the US and Mexico are currently rampant with CV19. Why were you out for three weeks riding bikes and possibly infecting loads of people?

Didn't you know that the virus is a conspiracy to control the masses.

I think this was a good an honest review.

Both bikes are brilliant in their own way. When it comes to their description of engine characteristics, it's probably spot on. I felt the same way when I traded my K1300 to a 1200GSA.

At the end, the two bikes offers different type of appeals.
If you want to ride aggressive with the adrenalin up to your ears, the MS will be your thing. The GS will be more attractive if you want to ride in a more relaxed pace with comfort, may be all day long. Of course the GS may be ridden aggressive, and the MS may be ridden in a relaxed manner, but that's not where either excels.

If I should guess a bit further, I think KTM should worry more about the V4 MS than BMW...

my 2c

These 1000PS are infomercials at best...Painful to watch how slow they ride and call that testing...:D
The V4 Multistrada has 30 hp more than the GS on top but also has 18 nm less torque...On top of that the MS sounds like a dough mixer...Awful:( Only 92dezibels to appease the green fascists who have closed parts of the austrian alps for motorcycles that still sound like motorcycles and want to spread that disease all over the EU...:(
Back to the MS vs GS.The MS will be 20 mph hour faster sunday morning at 6 am on a german Autobahn.Everywhere else the GS is much better ! Looks,sound,TORQUE,Telelever,driveshaft...All the GS is missing to be perfect is a top end rush to make it more exiting :thumby:
On the other hand a S1000XR is much more exiting and 2 seconds faster 0-125 mph than the MS V4...If there was no GS it would be a easy choice to get the XR which is faster and more exiting than either MS V4 or 1290 SADV...
But a more road oriented GS would make them all obsolete :thumby:

That wacky backy must be drifting on the wind in California again ....
You criticise the looks and sound of a Multi V4. Have you actually looked at your GS or listened to it ?
Quite astonishing how some people are so blinkered .

These 1000PS are infomercials at best...Painful to watch how slow they ride and call that testing...:D
The V4 Multistrada has 30 hp more than the GS on top but also has 18 nm less torque...On top of that the MS sounds like a dough mixer...Awful:( Only 92dezibels to appease the green fascists who have closed parts of the austrian alps for motorcycles that still sound like motorcycles and want to spread that disease all over the EU...:(
Back to the MS vs GS.The MS will be 20 mph hour faster sunday morning at 6 am on a german Autobahn.Everywhere else the GS is much better ! Looks,sound,TORQUE,Telelever,driveshaft...All the GS is missing to be perfect is a top end rush to make it more exiting :thumby:
On the other hand a S1000XR is much more exiting and 2 seconds faster 0-125 mph than the MS V4...If there was no GS it would be a easy choice to get the XR which is faster and more exiting than either MS V4 or 1290 SADV...

He’s still around then :blast

Arsey even in the video of these austrian amateurs the GS with the stock exhaust sounds way deeper and more aggressive than the EU castrated kitchen mixer noise the Multistrada emits...Embarrassing especially for a italian bike.My GS with the Akra-EU3 pipe sounds awesome...Deep boom with a healthy bark Manfred von Richthofen in his Fokker biplane would have been proud of :thumb
As for looks the GS still looks sharper and more modern than anything else on the road and the design is pretty much almost 9 years old except for the little cosmetic touch up in 2017...In comparison the KTM looks like some amateurish mismatch of all kinds of plastic,a lit of vagina of a headlight and a exhaust can taken off a Peterbilt truck...I guess this kind of design works if you actually ride in the dirt and crash on a daily basis but for a streetbike it looks awful...:(
And the new Multistrada looks like a fat duckling.Nothing origional or nice like a trellis frame or single sided swingarm...;)
B.t.w. the Baja trip was awesome...You should go next time and also bring Stick and your fast friend Gilles on his p.o.s. Tuono :thumb2
Who knows maybe by them we all ride the perfect bike for the road...The more road oriented GS...M 1300 GS...:thumby:
The one with 160 hp and 17" wheels...:D;)
Until then the old 1250 with sports-suspension,cast wheels and Metzeler M9 Sportec will have to do...:thumb2

Stever why should I not be around ? I was 3 weeks in Mexico and I'm back now waiting for the next trip hopefully on the M 1300 GS :thumb
- 1400 cc ;)
- 165 hp @ 8500 rpm
- 155 nm @6000 rpm
- 230 kg wet with 24 liters on board
- Underseat exhaust for 2 full size bags
- real key for ignition & tank cap
- 17' CF wheels
Yeah baby come to papa...:thumby:

Agreed the 'infomercials' are tedious at best.

However, do you buy a bike for the engine or exhaust noise? For me it's irrelevant.

For me, the GS is a perfect, fun all rounder. I can easily ride reasonably quickly by myself, or load it up with the wife and luggage for a week or two away.

The extra performance of the XR or MS or a KTM mean nothing to me and I can see me rarely using the additional performance that is often quoted, by you and others.

I don't believe the average GS rider want's what you keep banging on about.

Stever why should I not be around ? I was 3 weeks in Mexico and I'm back now waiting for the next trip hopefully on the M 1300 GS :thumb
- 1400 cc ;)
- 165 hp @ 8500 rpm
- 155 nm @6000 rpm
- 230 kg wet with 24 liters on board
- Underseat exhaust for 2 full size bags
- real key for ignition & tank cap
- 17' CF wheels
Yeah baby come to papa...:thumby:

:blast:blast

Mr Bean...I agree with you except for one point...It is like having TV with 1000 programs.Just watch the ones you like ! Same with 96 hp in 2021 ECO mode , 136 hp or 165 hp...Just open the throttle as far as You want ! No need to go balls to the wall but it would be nice if the GS had a XR like top-end :thumb2 It would make it more EXITING and the competition from KTM or Ducati OBSOLETE...That's all.
To be honest what I expect from BMW is that the all new 2023 GS will still be like the current one but they probably offer an XR version with 17" front wheel that is totally road oriented as 90 % of GS riders like myself never take the GS off road.It will like Ducati ditch the trellis frame for cast aluminum pieces that are cheaper to manufacture and are a little lighter.It will have around 1300 cc as the trademarked name "M1300GS" suggests and it will probably have around 150/155 hp/nm which is fine with me...That is probably a realistic outlook on what to expect ! Of course it still will have Telelever as Telelever is way superior to any fork being able to separate suspension & diving forces what even the idiots from the press with their idiotic "lack of front-end feel" since 1993 with the R1100RS start to appreciate !
And I hope BMW will also will make another R1100S on base of the R/GS-XR for people who like a less upright seating position and sportier looks like last seen in the R1100S :thumb2
I modern R1100S would be awesome and sell because between the upright GS and the full on RReplicas there is a huge gap in the market...The RS sucks for various reasons.Fork and not enough ground clearance if you want to go fast and the RT as capable nice & comfortable as it is it is as upright and even heavier than a GS...Enough said !

Mr Bean one more thing...Exaust sound is very important.Not Harley LOUD but a good noise.I love the boxer sound with the Akra EU-3 with inserts removed.Good sound and loud enough :thumb2 I love V-8 sound or the sound of a flat-6 Porsche.That is why electric cars/motorcycles will never excite gearheads and will be regarded as throw away products like all consumer electronics.No sound,no soul no emotions...Ducatis and Guzzis used to sound glorious...The V4 MS might appease these green eco fascists in Brussels but on an emotional level strike a big fat ZERO.And the Moto Guzzi TT85 has louder noises from the primary drive than what is coming out of the exhaust...sad & pathetic if you compare that with what LeMans 1 Guzzis used to sound with stock Lafranconis...

Bloody hell its a motorbike forum , can’t we please just have ONE thread about motorbikes without mentioning Covid. :blast

Boxerlust might be mostly speaking bollox , but at least it’s bollox about bikes :thumb

Most of this Boxerlust hot air is bollox. Some of it a agree with but it’s always the subjective stuff that amounts to less than 10% of the content of his posts.
Boxerlust, some of the stuff you say is childlike or Trump like ranting about something you think. Or something you do, always better than someone else on your bike that’s better than every other bike. And only riding in Mexico. I don’t believe that you do any of this shit at all, and certainly not without you or your buddy taking pictures etc. Yet I’ve never seen you post a picture of your Baja exploits or your scraped pegs or your shredded tyres (tires). Pictures or it didn’t happen. But I suppose you would just be a passing blur.

Mr Bean one more thing...Exaust sound is very important.Not Harley LOUD but a good noise.I love the boxer sound with the Akra EU-3 with inserts removed.Good sound and loud enough :thumb2 I love V-8 sound or the sound of a flat-6 Porsche.That is why electric cars/motorcycles will never excite gearheads and will be regarded as throw away products like all consumer electronics.No sound,no soul no emotions...Ducatis and Guzzis used to sound glorious...The V4 MS might appease these green eco fascists in Brussels but on an emotional level strike a big fat ZERO.And the Moto Guzzi TT85 has louder noises from the primary drive than what is coming out of the exhaust...sad & pathetic if you compare that with what LeMans 1 Guzzis used to sound with stock Lafranconis...

I gave up worrying about exhaust note at the age of 18, when the packing had blown out of the Piper 3-1 exhaust on my old GT750 Suzuki - 1978 from memory.... Gave the police around 1 mile of notice that an eejit would in sight soon.

ps, you're wrong on just about everything in the previous post too... :p

Mr Bean...I agree with you except for one point...It is like having TV with 1000 programs.Just watch the ones you like ! Same with 96 hp in 2021 ECO mode , 136 hp or 165 hp...Just open the throttle as far as You want ! No need to go balls to the wall but it would be nice if the GS had a XR like top-end :thumb2 It would make it more EXITING and the competition from KTM or Ducati OBSOLETE...That's all.
To be honest what I expect from BMW is that the all new 2023 GS will still be like the current one but they probably offer an XR version with 17" front wheel that is totally road oriented as 90 % of GS riders like myself never take the GS off road.It will like Ducati ditch the trellis frame for cast aluminum pieces that are cheaper to manufacture and are a little lighter.It will have around 1300 cc as the trademarked name "M1300GS" suggests and it will probably have around 150/155 hp/nm which is fine with me...That is probably a realistic outlook on what to expect ! Of course it still will have Telelever as Telelever is way superior to any fork being able to separate suspension & diving forces what even the idiots from the press with their idiotic "lack of front-end feel" since 1993 with the R1100RS start to appreciate !
And I hope BMW will also will make another R1100S on base of the R/GS-XR for people who like a less upright seating position and sportier looks like last seen in the R1100S :thumb2
I modern R1100S would be awesome and sell because between the upright GS and the full on RReplicas there is a huge gap in the market...The RS sucks for various reasons.Fork and not enough ground clearance if you want to go fast and the RT as capable nice & comfortable as it is it is as upright and even heavier than a GS...Enough said !

Every village has an eejit . His village has a complete one. :p

That wacky backy must be drifting on the wind in California again ....
You criticise the looks and sound of a Multi V4. Have you actually looked at your GS or listened to it ?
Quite astonishing how some people are so blinkered .

It’ll never sound better than the quad turbo, twin supercharged nitrous injected 650 Dakar I built. It did 120mph in 2nd gear and would wheelie up to 150mph!

I know it sounds unbelievable....but it was bored out to 1400cc and used ceramic pistons and valves.

Should never have sold that bike, apparently the guy who bought it lives in 2036 and has now fitted it with a Tesla car starter motor and a hyperdrive :D

GSian...you make me laugh...I don't take or post pictures because I don't have the time or better patience for it and taking pictures distracts from riding.But like I invited Arsey show up for the next ride and you can see how real it is for the last 20 years :D
Go west or better south...;)
And the reason I post here I hope someone from BMW is reading and listening what their customers want...I think they are in the business of selling bikes :D
Look forward for the M1300GS and R1300S if they get their heads out of their azzes and make some new version of the R1100S instead of wasting their time and money on junk neither Harley or BMW riders want like their boat-anchor named R18...
Otherwise I wonder about the lack of enthusiasm here about all things BMW on a BMW GS Enthusiast forum...Must be the rain,the bad food and the lack of sunshine that got to you guys or you are just getting too old...;)
What else am I wrong about...:D
:rob If the thought of a 160 hp boxer with TL can't get you salivating maybe you should give up riding or ask your wife for her estrogen patch...

Stever you must have a white beard,flip up helmet and ride a 1981 R80 G/S...Best bike in the world :D
More than 50 hp is too much.ABS only for people who can't ride and fuel injection the work of the devil...If someone would have said then that 30 years later BMW would make 4 cylinder superbikes beating the japanese in their own game it would have been "hot air bollox"...:D
You guys crack me up ! Time has moved on since then...If someone wants a bike in the spirit of the original and wants to travel for a year through Africa he/she is better off on a T-7 which is the wrong bike for people who ride on road for obvious reasons...And of course people who buy these bikes for image wanting to be like Evan & Charlie 136 hp is plenty but lots have moved on from sportbikes to a GS and love the bike for what it is...But nothing is as good that it couldn't be improved on as also a simpler / lighter GS in spirit of the original for the few who actually go off road or go overlanding would attract new buyers who are not taken by the F750/850/900 series especially since they have chinese made engines...:( Almost as bad as Triumphs made in Thailand Peopl;e are not stupid especially since they have to pay premium when it comes to price...

Back
Top Bottom