After 20K miles on the 1250 GS & 1250GS ADV - A honest review

GSian...You were there and definitely knew what happened before on the road...Space Cadet...for sure :thumb
Flipfly...Sounds like Stick is the most interesting man in the world with skills like Carl Fogarty in his best days...I for sure would like to ride with him !
Shaun...What you call adventure does not interest me running into some washed up characters that killed for the interest of the elite of their respective countries or being in remote areas without decent infrastructure.
I like to go to Mexico because compared to the U.S. or EU it is still free...You can ride fast,have good food,friendly people,sunshine and great roads.That's all !
And yes I will change my tune when BMW comes out with the XR version of the 1300 GS ; The one with 160 hp and 17" wheels...Arsey knows what I'm talking about and I think Reggie and Stick too :thumby:
And for you pipe smokers who like to take pictures who think 136hp is enough you'll love the 24 L tank and bigger bag volume on the right side so your misses can bring the hair dryer & make up bag too ;)
And a R1300S as a modern version of the R1100S would be even more exiting !
I hope someone @ BMW is listening before they waste more time and money on Harleys with boxermotor nobody wants...The only stuff that sells here is the 1250GS,S1000XR and the S1000RR and the new M1000RR was already sold out in 25 minutes !!! The M1300GS will do the same if it gets 160 hp and 17" wheels :thumb

OK, I accept we have different ideas of adventure. I also enjoy riding in a spirited manner and don’t object to some of your ideas. I sure as hell don’t want panniers for high speed trips. Travel light is best for me and the bikes handling.

However it gets very monotonous hearing the same wish list a million times. Give us a break please.

How do you do trips without panniers ? A bike without factory-panniers is useless unless we talk about a track-bike ! Of course a track-bike does not need a center-stand either,a street bike does.The manufacturers have to design the bike that is handles easy in the twisties & still is stable enough to run 155mph top-speed with bags attached.It can be done...See the S1000XR ! But a lot of people included myself prefer twins to screaming & nervous 4 cylinders that need to be shifted constantly,shaft drive to the chain and Telelever to the outdated fork for obvious reasons...
As also why loosing a couple of gallons of space to the routing of the exhaust ? That is just stupid.And a 20 liter tank is too small even for the smallest bladder...:D 24 liters would be the perfect compromise !
That is how I see it to make the GS even better :thumby:
As for tires the next sets will come from Metzeler ; First the new Tourance Next 2 and then the M9RR made in GS sizes :thumb2 Will be interesting to see how much mile penalty you pay for a sportier ride...Might even take the GS to the track and grind off the HP footpegs from Gilles...:D
Should be an interesting season despite the scam-demic lingering on in the fake news...
Is Stick on vacation...;)
Here is to you brother :beerjug:

How do you do trips without panniers ? A bike without factory-panniers is useless unless we talk about a track-bike ! Of course a track-bike does not need a center-stand either,a street bike does....;)

If I'm not camping i can get everything I need for a couple of weeks in a roll bag strapped to the rear seat. Much more aerodynamic than a set of panniers stuck in the wind. Also better than a top box stuck high out back at high speed.

When I rode to Mongolia and was carrying camping gear, food, water, tools, oil. oil filters, air filters, bike spares plus my own personal stuff for a 2 month trip, I managed with a set of soft throw over panniers, a roll bag and a small tank bag. People just carry too much shite. I only had this much stuff as I had to be completely self sufficient as frequently in the middle of nowhere. No centre stand either.

If I'm not camping i can get everything I need for a couple of weeks in a roll bag strapped to the rear seat. Much more aerodynamic than a set of panniers stuck in the wind. Also better than a top box stuck high out back at high speed.

When I rode to Mongolia and was carrying camping gear, food, water, bike spares plus my own personal stuff for a 2 month trip, I managed with a set of soft throw over panniers, a roll bag and a small tank bag. People just carry too much shite. I only had this much stuff as I had to be completely self sufficient as frequently in the middle of nowhere. No centre stand either.

Boxerlust, Now you believe this as being genuine, as do I and most likely everyone else. As far as your fantasy exploits, which are "fake news" I don't believe. NO PICTURES, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!

I bet Boxerlust has a penis pump, bigger is better........shame he used it on his nose :D

It’s all bollox.
Boxerlust is supposedly the launch customer for the forthcoming Colove 800X.

He’s going to love it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0LEh3a9vE9w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How do you do trips without panniers ? A bike without factory-panniers is useless unless we talk about a track-bike ! Of course a track-bike does not need a center-stand either,a street bike does.The manufacturers have to design the bike that is handles easy in the twisties & still is stable enough to run 155mph top-speed with bags attached.It can be done...See the S1000XR ! But a lot of people included myself prefer twins to screaming & nervous 4 cylinders that need to be shifted constantly,shaft drive to the chain and Telelever to the outdated fork for obvious reasons...
As also why loosing a couple of gallons of space to the routing of the exhaust ? That is just stupid.And a 20 liter tank is too small even for the smallest bladder...:D 24 liters would be the perfect compromise !
That is how I see it to make the GS even better :thumby:
As for tires the next sets will come from Metzeler ; First the new Tourance Next 2 and then the M9RR made in GS sizes :thumb2 Will be interesting to see how much mile penalty you pay for a sportier ride...Might even take the GS to the track and grind off the HP footpegs from Gilles...:D
Should be an interesting season despite the scam-demic lingering on in the fake news...
Is Stick on vacation...;)

FFS! Can we block this buffoon? He is living on Fantasy Island and the closest he has ever got to a bike was his mother!

You gurlz need to come riding with me or dream on...Either Baja and you better bring some bikes faster than a GS in a straight line because I don't have a lot of patience or CSS @ Streets of Willow on the S1000RR :thumb
GSian...It does happen if if I don't take pictures to post them on some "ADV" forum and yes BDG soft bags are better in the dirt but I live for PAVED roads where you can go FAST...Dirt riding is not my cup of tea but if it was I probably would be on a Honda XR 400 with a bigger tank but that sound already boring thinking about it ;)
Stick...100 mph wheelies on a GS ? You are the man...:thumb2 You need to teach me...:D

Look there are really only 4 bikes for the road in 2021 as I see it...

The 1250GS with sports-suspension and slightly lighter cast wheels is the best for obvious reasons;
TORQUE and power up to 8000 rpm...Telelever that SEPARATES suspension and Anti-Dive forces like no fork can.
Drive-Shaft and Boxer engine that protects your legs and bike :thumby:
What's missing is exiting Top-End Power and maybe a gallon more in the tank as also the right bag should have the same volume as the left one...160hp/150nm :thumby:

The S1000XR has the power but needs to be shifted and you have to deal with the chain and fork that dives and does not suspend hard on the brakes.

The KTM 1290 SADV-S and new MS V4 are both 2 seconds faster than the GS 0-200Km/h but then still 2 seconds slower than the XR.On-roll 60-180 km/h in top-gear the GS beats them all.(numbers taken from MOTORRAD magazine)
So it really come down to the GS or XR for 2021 !

You forgot to mention the greATASt adventure bike of them all !!
More haste less speed . Slow down and enjoy the view . You might enjoy it :)

Arsey I have plenty of time to slow down when I look at the top of the lid of my coffin...:D
B.t.w. the greatest adventure bike of them all was the 1987 BMW R100GS...Had lots of fun on it;in the alps,to greece,to alaska and my first trip to mexico :thumb2
It was simple,a shaft that had no torque reaction as also tubesless spokes that were real innovations then...great times !
Would I ride one today ? No...no power,no brakes !
As for the Africa Twin...I rather have a 2012 aircooled GS...Same power but much better bike as in better handling,more fun to ride and T-L and driveshaft :thumb2
But what we really need is 160hp and 17" wheels on the GS so even the XR becomes obsolete and the GS is the only street-bike that matters :thumby:

When I rode to Mongolia and was carrying camping gear, food, water, tools, oil. oil filters, air filters, bike spares plus my own personal stuff for a 2 month trip, I managed with a set of soft throw over panniers, a roll bag and a small tank bag. People just carry too much shite. I only had this much stuff as I had to be completely self sufficient as frequently in the middle of nowhere. No centre stand either.

Is that a small bike (what make?) or you are a 6'9" monster :eek::D

You gurlz need to come riding with me or dream on...Either Baja and you better bring some bikes faster than a GS in a straight line because I don't have a lot of patience or CSS @ Streets of Willow on the S1000RR :thumb
GSian...It does happen if if I don't take pictures to post them on some "ADV" forum and yes BDG soft bags are better in the dirt but I live for PAVED roads where you can go FAST...Dirt riding is not my cup of tea but if it was I probably would be on a Honda XR 400 with a bigger tank but that sound already boring thinking about it ;)
Stick...100 mph wheelies on a GS ? You are the man...:thumb2 You need to teach me...:D

Look there are really only 4 bikes for the road in 2021 as I see it...

The 1250GS with sports-suspension and slightly lighter cast wheels is the best for obvious reasons;
TORQUE and power up to 8000 rpm...Telelever that SEPARATES suspension and Anti-Dive forces like no fork can.
Drive-Shaft and Boxer engine that protects your legs and bike :thumby:
What's missing is exiting Top-End Power and maybe a gallon more in the tank as also the right bag should have the same volume as the left one...160hp/150nm :thumby:

The S1000XR has the power but needs to be shifted and you have to deal with the chain and fork that dives and does not suspend hard on the brakes.

The KTM 1290 SADV-S and new MS V4 are both 2 seconds faster than the GS 0-200Km/h but then still 2 seconds slower than the XR.On-roll 60-180 km/h in top-gear the GS beats them all.(numbers taken from MOTORRAD magazine)
So it really come down to the GS or XR for 2021 !

Fecking stoopid septic tanks :blast. It’s exciting, not exiting. FFS :blast

After 20K miles on the 1250 GS &amp; 1250GS ADV - A honest review

Boxertissues , if going fast is the be all and end all for you , why don’t you get something that makes real power and goes fast , rather than stick with a GS ?

You gurlz need to come riding with me or dream on...Either Baja and you better bring some bikes faster than a GS in a straight line because I don't have a lot of patience .:D

!

If you are riding a GS why would we need to bring something faster !? : nenau

A bike without factory-panniers is useless
:

Another load of piffle...

I did 3 months around the US and I was also camping so I took panniers but for a long weekend away , even camping , I don’t need panniers and a week or two in hotels is easily doable without them. My “useless” ADV bike came with a 3 box set , the panniers are still in the loft in bubble wrap , the first owner never used them and neither have I despite going on many trips . A tankbag and a roll bag are enough unless you want to carry loads of stuff you don’t really need.

On a trip to Portugal a few years ago my pannier laden companion was struggling massively in the really windy conditions , battling to stay in his lane as the wind took him sideway , whilst I romped off into the distance.

Is that a small bike (what make?) or you are a 6'9" monster :eek::D

It’s a KTM 690 RFR (ex Dakar race bike)
BDG is short for Big Daft Geordie, an insult from my mates. In a nutshell the bike is tall and I’m a bit bigger than average.
Nowhere close to 6’9” though.

Arsey obviously you don't know much about the art of cornering...On the road,not straight road,but twisty and often with less than perfect pavement where you go maybe 120 mph max there is nothing faster than a 1250GS with 20 mm taller and slightly stiffer sports-suspension !
The only bike faster would be a GS with 1400 cc and even more TORQUE and lets say 160 hp and 17" wheels...:thumb
A S1000XR is faster between turns for sure as it will do 160 mph but then you go at speeds where you have to be very good and lucky not to end up in the hospital or grave...;) O.K. going to and then riding on the 'Ring the XR would beat the GS but only until the one with 160hp and 17" wheels comes out :D
Save your time & money for the next Baja trip come October :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom