Introduction to 1150 GS (bolt issue)

Missenden Tim

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been cleaning up an 1150 GS from 2003 I bought and there was a bolt that was rusty which was annoying me which is the one fixing on the right footrest hanger. it cleaned up well but i can't get it to screw all the way back in now is just keeps turning - any tips please (photo attached)

Make sure the whole hanger mounting is loose. Then try by doing that one up first.

That. Assuming the thread on the bolt is OK, if you've tightened all the others, the top one may be slightly misaligned. Start over.

The Subframe has dropped !

You need to raise the subframe a few mm until you can get the bolt to engage in the threads!

WARNING If you don't get it started without the weight of the subframe pressing down on it?

It will be REALLY in and you will gall the threads and make it worse

I've got these out on mine at the moment. The rear frame will drop slightly when you take them out and by the looks of things you possibly aren't actually engaging the threads in the case becasue the bolt holes arent properly lined up. The bolt is pushing up against the case, just (literally just) below the bolt hole (if that makes sense).

1. Don't force it. If its not going in, its not going in for a reason.
2. Remove the bolt and make sure it is absolutely clean. WD40 them clean. If you galled the threads on the bolt, then suggest taking a bit of time to clean them up again. Its an M10 x 45 bolt so if you have an M10 nut handy, you may want to run the nut down the thread to make sure the threads are good. if you have damaged the threads and can't clean them up, have a bit sigh and a talking to yourself, and order some new ones.
3. With the bolt removed, just make sure the subframe and case holes line up properly. You may have to lift the subframe slightly to do this (I do on mine - by about 5mm or so). I think this is probably the real issue.
4. Possibly loosen off (but don't remove) the other two bolts holding the foot peg bracket in place (as Flatdog suggests)- allowing that a bit of movement may take the pressure off the M10 bolt you are trying to insert.
5. if you have also removed the other bolt on the other side, you may have swapped them over and weirdly, one will go in one side, but doesn't fit the other side so well.
6. If you have mullered the case, nows the time to remove the bolt and go and get an M10 tap to recut/cleanout the thread really, really carefully, whilst some of it still exists...

Hope that helps.

H

Just a touch - so the bracket can move a bit. It might help.

The real issue is that the subframe has dropped and you need to lift it slightly whist inserting and screwing the bolt home. Carefully.

I was just changing a valve cap - be careful - one bolt leads to many more coming out - you can end up in all sorts of trouble....

Attachments

• IMG_9688.jpg
    IMG_9688.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 237
The funny thing is as far as i can see the threads look in the right place. I only undid the r/h one. It's on its centre stand by the way

So undo the 2 lower smaller bolts then try doing the top one first?

How do i lift the subframe?

Step away from the tools:blast

Are you related to the Missenden Flyer?

You have been given explicit instructions by others, on what to do, follow them - hope the subframe is just misaligned and you have stripped the thread in the gear box casing, as that's a whole world of pain:blast..............but at least your footpeg hanger bolt is shiny:D

First rule, make sure all 3 bolts are threaded properly and are loose, before tightening them all up in sequence

BTW - what torque settings are you using for those footpeg bolts, they are safety critical?

Step away from the tools:blast

You have a point!

You should just be able to lift the subframe up slightly with one hand, using the other to screw bolt in. It only needs to go up by a few mm.. there will be very little movement in it.

I don't think I explained very clearly let me be a bit more detailed.

Took the bolt out to make it shiny (twat)

Didnt undo or move anything else.

Put it back in and it seemed to be turning in nicely using my short handled socket spanner then kept turning as if i'd stripped the thread but it didnt go in any more.

Took it out, went on ukgser

Tried running the bolt through a stainless nut. it was a bit stiff in parts the first time then loosened up.

Dipped the bolt in ACF50 and tried putting it in again

It screwed in by hand perfectly about halfway then got a bit stiff so put short handled socket on it and it turns but won't go in any more as if i'd stripped the thread but i haven't as it cant be pulled out just unscrewed, and it unscrews smoothly.

I've not torqued anything yet as ive only tightened the lower bolt hand tight and the upper one isn't seated so no torquing opportunities as yet

I dont think the subframe has moved

Latest pic as follows

There is a chance that there is thread lock in the blind hole that you are battling with, is there any sign of thread lock on the bolt? if so this could explain the bolt going tight half way in. If this is the case some direct heat into the hole with a hair dryer of hot air gun will soften the thread lock.

I think BMW used a loctite when they put the bolts in originally, so you could be coming up aginst that. So a little heat may be useful just to reanimate it. (as just suggestd by Ian)

Failing that, and i cant see why it should have got so tricky, it sounds like you need to clean the threads in the case - I'd use an M10 Tap to do this, because I've done it on loads of other threads and holes in cases. If you havent done this, then make sure you have taken:-

1. brave pills
2. a short course in meditation to clam and centre your tapping hand - becasue you don't want to be cutting a new thread, just cleaning out the old one.

Back
Top Bottom