Manifold stud removal - what else can be done?

I’m not saying any of the above advise is wrong or owt like that ,
However ,I/we know nothing of your skills,if you attempt to drill the studs out and make a hash of it,you will just make the job far harder for an engineer to sort,
I’ve seen it all,broken drills,broken taps and eazyouts,
Unless you have the experience,and the proper tools,,,step away from the black and decker.:D:augie

However ,I/we know nothing of your skills,if you attempt to drill the studs out and make a hash of it,you will just make the job far harder for an engineer to sort,
Unless you have the experience,and the proper tools,,,step away from the black and decker.:D:augie
What he said

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Take the head off and take it to a good engineering firm or welders, get them to put it across ma higurrent welder rod end on the stud and earth to the head (obviosly) and run it till the stud is hot. Allow it to cool and you will find it will unscrew, and before all the armchair mechanics rise up this works and have seen the results several times.Yhingking about it if your ging to try welding a nut on the stud it may have the same effect.

This is my mechanicking chair. I find the arms very useful for when I'm thinking about problems encountered....
c11775031d364d93cc5e71542e3d6b59.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

If you remove the heads and send them up to Cheshire, I'll take a look at them..... providing there is not a pissed-up hole or broken stud extractor stuck in them.

Having spent a lifetime learning the hard way I've now finally learnt to accept my limits. :D

Welding a lever on is something I am prepared to undertake (subject to the owner of the machine accompanying the lend of it ;) ) but drilling and tapping it in situ isn't something I'd trust myself to do.

This level is ok:
C1971F49-AE6D-4034-A6F7-4CA08D1C47C7_1_201_a.heic

But even then it was a lesson learnt: that not all M10 bolts have the same thread pitch...

1052160C-797F-4264-B8D5-E25261E44641.heic

:blast

R

If you remove the heads and send them up to Cheshire, I'll take a look at them..... providing there is not a pissed-up hole or broken stud extractor stuck in them.
Thanks for the offer, I'll see how the welding goes first.

R

Drilling studs out is a job that the more you do the easier it gets but I hate doing them on aluminium castings. I’ve got a broken screw to get out of a 350LC front master cylinder for my brother in law and it’s going to be done properly using a vice on my mini mill because he’ll never let me forget it if I make a mess of it.

Loads of great thoughts, I do all my own servicing and repairs, but have learnt to pass on certain jobs to people with the equipment, knowledge and experience to fix. This would be such a job... Take the heads off and get them to someone experienced etc.
My GS has about 125,000 on the clock, the downpipes are dinked and shabby so this is a job I'll be facing one day.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

i also have been in the shit as you with snapped studs,i took the heads off and took them to an engineering shop to be sorted.i think the biggest expense was the two head gaskets i had to buy

Also before you start drilling get a new stud and measure how many threads are on it that screws into the head then measure the same and on the drill bit mark it so that you don't drill too far into the head

Back
Top Bottom