What's your "go to" lid?

• Open face

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Flip front

Votes: 69 65.1%
  • Full face

Votes: 30 28.3%

• Total voters
Don't rule out HJC RPHA range.......fantastic helmets.

RPHA 11 or 70 if you want full face or RPHA 90 if you want flip-up.
I had a RPHA 11 Carbon before my current Shoei GT-Air II and I had a Neotec before the HJC.

I have a hankering for a flip-up again and my default choice would have been the Neotec II but I am very tempted by the RPHA 90S

(sorry about that.......sometimes I ramble on)

S20 5G sent this......

Flip front lids for years although if Kangol Gladiators and Griffin Clubmans full face buckets were still available new who knows .........

Always had Arai full face before I got the GS. Chose to try the Shark Evoline and found it to be brilliant, great to go open face in the warm weather.

Convinced myself that the C3 Pro would be an improvement, it wasn’t, I was hoping it would at least not be louder than the Evo3 but it was...

Might be back to a Shark next time.

Full face. I did go and buy a Neotech 2 but the sun visor was shit and distorted my vision so may as well not have been there and since most passport control points have started to tell you to even remove flip front helmets rather than lift the front I’ve stopped using it.

Doesn't the peak catch the wind at road speeds?

I’ve never had that problem with the Tour X. Although for me road speeds are up to about 80mph, those that go faster may suffer.

I've got an Evo One 2 - the one that doesn't scratch the pillock when you open it. I like its convenience but I've never really trusted the mechanism, it gets stuck with the chin bar behind too often for my liking. Probably just ham-fisted user error...

I've never had any of mine stick with the chin bar at the back of the helmet, every now and again I have the opposite problem in releasing the chin guard catch when it is in the front position. I've learned not to try and force it....DOH!

I have a RPHA 11 full face & 90 flip, really good helmets and well made, Helmet City are doing some good deals on both models at the moment.

Al.

Smallest, lightest open face helmet is the safest IMO. Cheapest too.

tried on the evo one two and really wanted to like it. Couldn't get the opening/flip up to work on several occasions. Tried different shops, different batches I hope. Nope. Had to pass on it.

Other options to the shark (chin piece all the way back) are
LS2 Valiant
Scorpion EXO Tech

Doesn't the peak catch the wind at road speeds?

It's a valid question. I wear a Touratech Aventuro with a peak and would have had concern, unfounded as it happens. Don't notice any untoward drag from the peak, max cruising speed 140 KPH.

After years of Arai RX7s went for the Shoei GTAir, more comfy than the Arai for me, had 3 of them, still using the latest
Fancied a flip front for Spanish tours so tried the LS2 Valaint, good helmet but found it very heavy so it has sat at the back of the wardrobe for a couple of years
Got a Shark Evo one 2 now for the holiday tours and when it gets warmer. Flip works fine, feels good on but had to squash the polystyrene a few mils to get the Cardo JBL speaker to fit flush

Arai FF for the last 35 years , tried some others , but my head fits Arai lids well . i have never spent more than £300 on a lid .

Me too

Also in the market for a new lid, struggling to dig through the options given requirements below. Any assistance in decision making much appreciated.

The Shark Explore R (since discontinued) has done me so well in all respects for well over 5 years, small adjustment of sun peak was needed to ease the neck strain came by drilling a couple of extra holes in peak plastics to bring it down.

Must haves:

Adv style from good brand
Sun visor
Sun peak
Micrometric ratchet chin strap

Preferably carbon
Would consider modular over full face if can still combine all of the above.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

Thanks Fez.

Just bought the Shoei Neotec 2 very comfortable helmet the shape suits my noggin.

Attachments

• A38AD73B-45EB-492E-AFD5-CB759C244DEB.jpeg
    A38AD73B-45EB-492E-AFD5-CB759C244DEB.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 149
tried on the evo one two and really wanted to like it. Couldn't get the opening/flip up to work on several occasions. Tried different shops, different batches I hope. Nope. Had to pass on it.
There’s a knack to closing it. You sort of push the chin bar in as oppose to just pulling it close.

Back
Top Bottom