What brought you to Moto Guzzi?

I agree that the footrests look like V50 Monza ones. So is it a Monza turned into standard V50?, a standard V50 with Monza rests ? or is it called a Monza because it is 'Monza' red.?

So long as you enjoy riding it, that's all that matters really.

I guess it must be a standard V50 with Monza rests.
I’ve been through the old MOTs and a couple of them do refer to it as a V50 ii.
The others simply say V50.

I've owned this bike for 8 years and discover after all that time that it isn't really what I thought it was.
Probably a similar time span until I found out that Father Christmas wasn't real, but I managed to get over that so think I will survive.

And yes I do enjoy riding it and that is all that matters really.

I had a V50 Monza in 1984-85. I loved it - fast, revvy and handled like a dream but it was very small. I am 6’3”. The seat was like a plank. The wife (g/f then) managed about 10miles onnpillion before screaming at me to let her off. She never went on it again. I fucked up changing the oil filter and the big ends went pop. Absolute fortune to get fixed. Sold it to a mate (Dougie) in West London. Oh, the one in dispute in this thread looks nowt like my V50 Monza. Definitely a mini LeMans Sadly no pics of it.

Next brush with Guzzi was an encounter with a Nick Adams in Canada. Nick has several older Guzzis, writes for classic bike magazine and undertakes some epic trips into the outback of Canada on his 1974 guzzi Eldorado. Check his YouTube channel. It’s epic. Reading his books and just being around him for a week or two while he eulogised MGs got me thinking...., so when MG brought out the V85TT it was an easy decision to buy one. Again though a bit too small for two of us. A California beckons I reckon.

Nick Adams stuff....
https://m.youtube.com/user/nick949eldo/featured

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nick-Adams/e/B00TQ2GEVW/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

Always worth keeping an eye on Muzzi Moto

I got my T3 from them and I see they have just sold another.

They currently have this beaut for sale though :

afb529cc586ed54f7031eca3587e9b14.png

9d4476dcc5b628827e42c87c2f9f6260.png

Very nice. One of each would be lush indeed. One carby, one inj. Right colour too.
Looks like someone's put silicone spray on the seats - or margarine. That would have to come off sharpish.
They've just sold a tidy '76 T3 with big bore conversion that could have come home with me.
Arsey, did you buy that?

Very nice. One of each would be lush indeed. One carby, one inj. Right colour too.
Looks like someone's put silicone spray on the seats - or margarine. That would have to come off sharpish.
They've just sold a tidy '76 T3 with big bore conversion that could have come home with me.
Arsey, did you buy that?

No, I had mine a couple of years back.

Always worth keeping an eye on Muzzi Moto

I got my T3 from them and I see they have just sold another.

They currently have this beaut for sale though :

afb529cc586ed54f7031eca3587e9b14.png

9d4476dcc5b628827e42c87c2f9f6260.png

That looks a cracker and reasonable money too. I near lost my mind about 18 months ago when I saw a Raceco Daytona RS for sale in Dorset for £8995. Put my 996SPS on Gumtree in a moment of madness but thankfully the RS sold very quickly and I removed my advert.

I think there is space in my garage for a later 1100 Sport or a Raceco RS if I can find one at the right price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect that Guzzisti became fans of the marque for the same reasons that others got into BMs: big twin torque, shaft drive and a history that adds a degree of mystique. Plus, let's be honest, sheer happenstance. I got a test ride on an R90S just at the time that I was getting fed up of the endless toe tapping on my RD350 and was sold there and then. If the shop'd had a Guzzi T3, I might well have bought that. It was certainly on the list but lack of a test ride and some negative comments in the bike press about the electrics put me off somewhat.

As a 12 year old, me dad bought me a Polistil model of a V7, never knowing much about the mark, got int Guzzi,s when all around were into Jap bikes. Got me first one when I was about 22, a 78 LeMans which I still have along with a few other Mandello tractors. They do get under your skin, hopefully going to Mandello in Sept as long as Boris gets his act together, hotels are booked👍

I suspect that Guzzisti became fans of the marque for the same reasons that others got into BMs: big twin torque, shaft drive and a history that adds a degree of mystique. ............

Nooooooo way!

WBM's were always 'pipe and slippers', the 'gentleman's express'. Essentially uncool, efficient German tools. The bikes our dad's rode. No self respecting biker under the age of 50 that had a modicum of self respect lusted after a BWM............

Meanwhile the likes of Mark Williams were thrashing Italian bikes across the Westway at four in the morning off their tits on speed........

Guzzis (and other Italian makes) were/are the epitome of cool. What self respecting 20 year old gave a stuff about shaft drive and torque? We just wanted to tear around on an exotic Italian bike and shag the hordes of women we were gonna pick up riding one :)

Same appeal as a MBW, my arse :D

Andres

As a 12 year old, me dad bought me a Polistil model of a V7, never knowing much about the mark, got int Guzzi,s when all around were into Jap bikes. Got me first one when I was about 22, a 78 LeMans which I still have along with a few other Mandello tractors. They do get under your skin, hopefully going to Mandello in Sept as long as Boris gets his act together, hotels are booked��

How long ago was it when you bought the LM Andrew?

Hi Oldrat
Funny how memory goes as we get older, just got log book out, tis a 1978, I got it in 88, so I would have been 25😳

Nooooooo way!

WBM's were always 'pipe and slippers', the 'gentleman's express'. Essentially uncool, efficient German tools. The bikes our dad's rode. No self respecting biker under the age of 50 that had a modicum of self respect lusted after a BWM............

Meanwhile the likes of Mark Williams were thrashing Italian bikes across the Westway at four in the morning off their tits on speed........

Guzzis (and other Italian makes) were/are the epitome of cool. What self respecting 20 year old gave a stuff about shaft drive and torque? We just wanted to tear around on an exotic Italian bike and shag the hordes of women we were gonna pick up riding one :)

Andres

I totally agree, I was thrashing a Lemon around in the earlier 80’s in a manor that would be frowned upon in today’s pc, namby state!
(Un)fortunately I suspect most of us “bikers” :barf are now over 50 and a dad. I’ll even own up to having a pair of slippers! :eek:
Most riders seen at any meets nowadays look to be 40+yo.
I’ve had a BM 1150GS, very efficient for a big numb heavy beast but lacked any soul stirring attributes. :hide
Guzzi’s on the other hand..... :cool

Arsey, did you buy that?

Should I buy this Si for our trip to Genoa? Or should I stick to the GSA so I have room to carry the spares fr your 1100 Sport :D

Guzzis (and other Italian makes) Tear around on an exotic Italian bike and shag the hordes of women you are gonna pick up riding one :)
Andres

Slightly amended - Not sure if that's marketing or advertising, but I bet that it would sell a few.....:D

First noticed Guzzis in the early-mid 70s when I used to chat to a chap that had a T3 (I think)

He always seemed to be tinkering with it. I had a T150 at the time which appeared a wee bit more modern back then, never thought about getting a V twin.

Fast forward about 15 years when I’m out for a ride with a mate, he had a MKII Lemon, I had my own V twin, a CX 650 Turbo. At some point during the day we swapped bikes... Fek, what a difference, that ride pretty much consigned any thought of getting a Guzzi to the ‘no can do’.... :eek:

Fast forward another 30 plus years when I’m looking for something a bit ‘different’

Quite fancied a Guzzi slushbox. I had a Hondamatic 400 so thought the addition of the Guzzi would start a trend...:)

Ash of this parish had one around that time and said to him if he was ever thinking of selling it, let me have first refusal. “Sorry buts it’s a Keeper” he says...umm....:augie

So I started to look around for one and found what appeared to be a well fettled example in California.

Few weeks later it arrived in Southampton docks...

Had it resprayed and changed the wheels (still got the originals of course) and a few other bits and that’s that, a tidy mutant pollutant (it’s a wee bit thirsty) :eek::)

Nice to bimble around the lanes on, riding on a wave of slippery torks...

Needless to say, Ash went and sold his not long after I got mine...Doh! :blast:D

It makes me smile when out on it which is what it’s all about really, oh, and it’s a keeper...:thumb2:)

Nooooooo way!

Andres

Calm down dear! :D

I didn't say the same appeal. I said the same reason. QV "factors", "issues" etc. On top of that, there's the appeal that's unique to the brand. I was an avid reader of Motor Cyclist and Dave Minton (who is still around, I believe) tested quite a few Guzzis which I fancied, but reliability and practicality have always been great factors for me. I just never had the opportunity to ride a Guzzi whereas the first BM I rode was the 90S. It was very far from being a pipe n slippers bike. :drool: I couldn't afford one but the R60/6 that I could afford was still a great bike and could lift its skirts when required, especially over a decent distance.

It's a mistake to compare the "character" possessed by bikes, I think. There are basic qualities such as power and how its delivered, handling etc but the rest is mixed up with all kinds of personal experiences and cultural back stories and good natured piss taking. Take Harleys for instance ... PLEASE! TAKE HARLEYS!!!! :D

Anyway, as the wifie said: "There's some as likes puddocks and some as likes kale. It's a' a maitter o taste!" :D

A visit to the factory and a trip around their museum when I was on hols in the area did it for me. It was shocked by what I saw. It was like travelling back in time, and I don’t mean just the museum bit! :D

First noticed Guzzis in the early-mid 70s when I used to chat to a chap that had a T3 (I think)

He always seemed to be tinkering with it. I had a T150 at the time which appeared a wee bit more modern back then, never thought about getting a V twin.

Fast forward about 15 years when I’m out for a ride with a mate, he had a MKII Lemon, I had my own V twin, a CX 650 Turbo. At some point during the day we swapped bikes... Fek, what a difference, that ride pretty much consigned any thought of getting a Guzzi to the ‘no can do’.... :eek:

Fast forward another 30 plus years when I’m looking for something a bit ‘different’

Quite fancied a Guzzi slushbox. I had a Hondamatic 400 so thought the addition of the Guzzi would start a trend...:)

Ash of this parish had one around that time and said to him if he was ever thinking of selling it, let me have first refusal. “Sorry buts it’s a Keeper” he says...umm....:augie

So I started to look around for one and found what appeared to be a well fettled example in California.

Few weeks later it arrived in Southampton docks...

Had it resprayed and changed the wheels (still got the originals of course) and a few other bits and that’s that, a tidy mutant pollutant (it’s a wee bit thirsty) :eek::)

Nice to bimble around the lanes on, riding on a wave of slippery torks...

Needless to say, Ash went and sold his not long after I got mine...Doh! :blast:D

It makes me smile when out on it which is what it’s all about really, oh, and it’s a keeper...:thumb2:)

In a different life / time Ash would never of sold it.
Especially after all that work I did. :blast

But it was bought primarily to ride to Mandello Del Lario, but after a couple of rides I realised I couldn't ride it 4 long, as amongst other problems, I have busted legs & I just couldn't get on with the footboards.
I did buy a set of bottom frame rails & footpegs off a T4, to try to change to Footrests but the gear / rear brake linkages just didn't work on the convert.
And I was running out of time to finish it, if I was going to ride it to Italy September 2017...
Plus as I can't work I just couldn't afford the fuel 30ish MPG on the convert..
So very sadly it had to go... :tears

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201116-235106.jpg
    Screenshot_20201116-235106.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 233
What brought you to Moto Guzzi ?

The 64,000,000 $ question..

My touring / riding buddy has & has had 4 twenty odd years a MK5 Le Mans..

Circa year 2001 /2002, at the time had a Honda Super Blackbird . :drool woooooooosh. :D
( And a few other bikes - BMW R1100RS, Honda CBX1000, Laverda Diamanté 668, Honda CB900F, ST1100 )

We were on a way back from a ride out to the south coast & we decided to swop bikes for a while.

What a complete bag of shite was the MK5 Guzzi was, other than the wallop of power you got when you snapped the throttle..
It handled like a cart horse, the frame was made of putty.
Weaved & bucked all over the place & prefered to go through a bend, rather than around it at speed.. :yikes
It was far too fast for the power.
The brakes were good, but other than that it was pants..
( bear in mind my bike was a new Blackbird )

But the Guzzi had something, couldn't explain what though..

Now I had ridden a Guzzi b4, as I test rode a brand new Centauro a few years earlier at 3X in Dorset, although it was gorgeous.
The fueling on the early models made it near impossible to ride.
I had a Kawasaki GPZ900 R at the time, so Guzzi's weren't on my list of bikes I'd own.
Especially after that disastrous test ride.

Back to my ride on the MK5..

As I said it had something..

One Saturday I was in the local bike shop in Newbury ( premier bikes ).
The Laverda was just to small & the throttle was either full on or full off. :(
So was looking to trade it.
In the corner of the bike shop was a 1989 Guzzi SP3 at a bargain price.
Now I was good friends with the guy that owned the bike shop & he offered me a great price against the Laverda.
And he said take the Guzzi home for a few days to try it.
( as I'd told him how much I didn't like the MK5 )

So like a lamb to the slaughter, he had me hooked.. :blast
And after a few rides, a carburettor & throttle set up.
( throttle cables were frayed, so notchy throttle response + out of balance)
I rather liked the Guzzi SP3, so she joined the other bikes in my now rather full garage...

We rode both Guzzi's to the factory in August 2003..

Piccy one - at the Guzzi factory late August 2003
Piccy two - just after I got her...

When we were at the factory in 2003, we met an old man in a pizzeria in Mandello & he said to us.
" Guzzi's pick you, not the other way around " in his Italian accent..
And I think he was correct... ;)

PS..

I still fink Guzzi's are a bag of shite. :rob
But the darn fings get under your skin.. :blast

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210112-020304.jpg
    Screenshot_20210112-020304.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Screenshot_20201116-235324.jpg
    Screenshot_20201116-235324.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 231

Back