What brought you to Moto Guzzi?

I've managed to arrange a short test on Friday on an 850 V7 Stone. I'm hoping I'll like it, the more I've recently read and watched on Youtube about these bikes, the more I am drawn in. I expect I'll buy a used 750 though, but who knows?

.....and just another thought Khulu, all T3 Calis have a lot of slop in the linkage for the heel/toe but in all honesty yours is one of the least sloppy I have ever riden......mine must have an inch or more movement between changes :D

Johno and I had a discussion about it after he bought the bike and he tracked down a firm in the States that does modified bushes and stuff to tighten up the action so there is a way to do it if you feel the need. Personally I wouldn't, I love the way it encourages slow, lazy (yet assertive) gear changes. It just suits the vibe of the whole bike :)

Oh and incase you didn't know, your is a 'Merkin import and all the better for it, it's been really well look after and there is not a spot of corrosion anywhere so I'm guessing it came from a 'warm, dry' state. IMHO it's one of the nicest, original, ones out there so do it justice dude :)

Andrees

.....and just another thought Khulu, all T3 Calis have a lot of slop in the linkage for the heel/toe but in all honesty yours is one of the least sloppy I have ever riden......mine must have an inch or more movement between changes :D

Johno and I had a discussion about it after he bought the bike and he tracked down a firm in the States that does modified bushes and stuff to tighten up the action so there is a way to do it if you feel the need. Personally I wouldn't, I love the way it encourages slow, lazy (yet assertive) gear changes. It just suits the vibe of the whole bike :)

Oh and incase you didn't know, your is a 'Merkin import and all the better for it, it's been really well look after and there is not a spot of corrosion anywhere so I'm guessing it came from a 'warm, dry' state. IMHO it's one of the nicest, original, ones out there so do it justice dude :)

Andrees

Thanks for the encouragement Andres. :beerjug::beerjug::beerjug::beerjug:

My '95 H-D isn't exactly the slightest gearbox either; or the linkage inst't the most positive in the World.

Guzzi use shitty Clevis joints in their gear linkages with tons of slop, especially in the Cali with extra linkages.

On my old V7 Cali, I replaced it all with home made link rods and rose joints. Didn't cost much and all the slop disappeared.

Guzzi use shitty Clevis joints in their gear linkages with tons of slop, especially in the Cali with extra linkages.

On my old V7 Cali, I replaced it all with home made link rods and rose joints. Didn't cost much and all the slop disappeared.

Rose joints are definitely better than clevis.

Heel toe's great when you get used to it, sort of suits Cali riding.

I once owned three different bikes at the same time with heel/toe gear change.

My 1978 Cali, old harley electraglide and 1970 Honda Monkey bike.

I still have the Cali and Monkey.

Looking back through this thread reminded me of another Guzzi experience.

Summer 1986.
Midnight and very warm, riding my BMW along the embankment in London going to collect some 10x8 sheets of film from a night shoot in the city.
Very little traffic around, heading east i pulled up at the traffic lights at the junction with Vauxhall bridge next to a T3 Guzzi.

A couple were on the bike, we looked at each other and i gave them a nod. Then i noticed the girl on back was wearing only a beige cardigan.
I said laughing "what's that all about ?" She said her boyfriend had dared her to go for a late night ride wearing only the cardigan, and here they were.
Lights changed and off we went, i followed them along to Westminster bridge not hitting any more red lights, they carried on over the bridge and i turned left to carry on along the riverside.

That mere two minutes riding experience has stayed with me for 35 years. :D

She must be 60 plus years old now. Could be one of those moaning old woman in the queue at the supermarket or bus stop and maybe having similar trouble with her joints as Cookie and Khulu.

I saw something or other for sale on Facebook marketplace locally. Popped round and the chap had a mint V7 sat in his garage. Never really been up close before but it was lovely...vaguely heard him say he was trading it in for a V9 Bobber the next week. I went back that afternoon and bought it.

No idea why I sold it, now I'm lurking in the Guzzi section daily :D

Polistil Model

Mum bought me a model of an 850GT when I was about 12, (still have it) got the real thing about 5 years ago.

Attachments

• 65C869B2-DEC9-4E88-A775-4C2E961330A7.jpg
    65C869B2-DEC9-4E88-A775-4C2E961330A7.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 183
A particularly unusual combination of people.

This young lady in 1981, followed by Baldrick in about 2018. Not often those two will crop up in the same conversation, greatest respect Baldrick.

You lot will probably know this, but having enjoyed all of the long legged ads in the 80s I only recently appreciated that their (1950s?) racing single, the Gambalunga, translates as 'long legged' so their long legged ad campaign in fact had proper historic roots.

Attachments

• Clipboard12.gif
    Clipboard12.gif
    160.4 KB · Views: 99

Back
Top Bottom