Which is your preferred pannier setup

Which panniers do you prefer?

• Total voters
Theres no option for none :confused:

who would buy a bike the size and weight of a GS and not put panniers on it? what's the point in owning one except to do something that requires luggage of some kind?
The assumption is that as a GS owner you are doing miles and touring therefore you have luggage, if that were not true then surely that person would be riding a smaller more nimble more fuel efficient motorcycle?
Conversely anyone who Does have a GS and just uses it for pootling round town obviously does not have an opinion worth listening to, so again pointless option.

its just a guess

Nope dont use panniers unless im taking the missis.

Been all over Europe on the bike, if im solo i dont use them. Not even a top box or tank bag for that matter.

Either a roll bag or back pack strapped to the bike behind me is all you need (riding solo and not camping)

Of all our trips generally in a group of 10 or so bikes and none of us take panniers.

Nope dont use panniers unless im taking the missis.

Been all over Europe on the bike, if im solo i dont use them. Not even a top box or tank bag for that matter.

Either a roll bag or back pack strapped to the bike behind me is all you need (riding solo and not camping)

Of all our trips generally in a group of 10 or so bikes and none of us take panniers.

each to his own, even solo and not camping would still always take panniers as opposed to a bag strapped to the back, in fact if solo can generally manage the tent and everything else needed in panniers.
However the question was why no option for none, my answer is still the same, you are an aberration, and as such the poll is not aimed at or intended for your consumption.

After discussions on a for sale post, lets have a chat about our luggage preferences.

Actually the OP was about luggage preferences, although the thread is headed preferred pannier set up.

Actually the OP was about luggage preferences, although the thread is headed preferred pannier set up.

no no you statement that there is no option for none, my point was that its not for you or about you or relevant to you as you don't use panniers?

Hard boxes

I have a Givi Trekker outback 58ltr topbox
and 2 trekker top or full opening panniers 33 ltr (exhaust side) and 46ltr

i also use a Lomo roll top on long trips
Main reason is for security, i got the 58ltr as it fits 2 lids in around town, but carries plenty of camping gear on longer trips.

as already said, sadly security only seems an issue in UK.

Vario panniers on the GS 1200 for me. You can get 3 x 3L boxes of wine in the non exhaust side, that’s equal to 12 bottles, what’s not to like?

Hard boxes

I have a Givi Trekker outback 58ltr topbox
and 2 trekker top or full opening panniers 33 ltr (exhaust side) and 46ltr

i also use a Lomo roll top on long trips
Main reason is for security, i got the 58ltr as it fits 2 lids in around town, but carries plenty of camping gear on longer trips.

as already said, sadly security only seems an issue in UK.

I have the same Givi Trekker set up on my Multistrada but standard ally boxes on my GSA.

Love a topbox
Most useful thing on the bike
Topboxes good too, on a bike
Absolutely. Doesn’t matter what I’m doing or where im going I’ve always got locks, waterproofs, puncture kit, and room for helmet to stow once there. Plus most trips the jetboil goes in too. Oh, and a good old fashioned map, cos satnags are never to be trusted.

Depending on bike, Pan obviously has panniers too, but I have a pair of the wee givi E21 panniers that can go on the GS and S10 when needed.

Varios, no top box, Kriega 10 or 20 on the back seat and a tank bag
They work, these haven't leaked in 3 years despite Scotlands best efforts
Easy on and off...plenty of room for 10 days at least
Only on for trips away, not for a day out

Might get some chunky one's if I ever get a GSA

Attachments

• 20220425_074852.jpg
    20220425_074852.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 84
Bought my F750Gs with hard Vario panniers (but no top case), found them a bit of a pain for day rides. I have been considering fitting a BMW or other top case option but at nearly £400 I have given this a miss.

Just ordered a Kriega US10 for rack mounting to allow for some light carrying capacity for day rides whilst leaving the panniers at home, I will probably mount his with my now ancient HG 30 litre roll bag for trips way.

Hard panniers, still have not recovered from the upset of some cnut stealing a pair of brand new Adidas Samba trainers and a pair of Levi jeans out of my soft panniers on the Dover to Calais ferry crossing in May 1985.

Not that I hold a grudge mind you

Hard panniers, still have not recovered from the upset of some cnut stealing a pair of brand new Adidas Samba trainers and a pair of Levi jeans out of my soft panniers on the Dover to Calais ferry crossing in May 1985.

Not that I hold a grudge mind you

Unless going off-road a lot, I can’t see the appeal of soft luggage panniers for road riding

BMW system plastic panniers for me on the GS or alloy boxes on the Tenere 700 (although I do have some soft panniers if going off-road)

Unless going off-road a lot, I can’t see the appeal of soft luggage panniers for road riding

BMW system plastic panniers for me on the GS or alloy boxes on the Tenere 700 (although I do have some soft panniers if going off-road)

I preferred my Bumot Xtremadas to the ally Defenders.
Because of their pliable nature, you get more in them, especially anything that was an unusual shape.

But for ease of use my favourite were the SW Motech Trax panniers that I had on my 1290R.
Great, well made panniers when in use but the frames could be removed in 30 seconds to leave virtually no sign of luggage.Absolute genius if you only use panniers a couple of times a year and don’t want your bike covered in scaffolding the rest of the year !!

But for ease of use my favourite were the SW Motech Trax panniers that I had on my 1290R.
Great, well made panniers when in use but the frames could be removed in 30 seconds to leave virtually no sign of luggage.Absolute genius if you only use panniers a couple of times a year and don’t want your bike covered in scaffolding the rest of the year !!

That’s the ones I bought for the Tenere 700, superb quality and agreed they are a brilliant concept & the frames will also be fine for use with my Wolfman soft panniers

Back
Top Bottom