How much should I pay for an R80GS Basic?

sensible price would be £7-9000 id say without seeing it.

they fetch "good" money because they are the last air-cooled GS ever made by apparently the top guys at the plant (if that's true I wouldn't know but its a nice story). they are pretty rare and probably the best looking GS :p

I SOLD a Kalahari model 18 months ago for £13750 so the prices are real. the only difference is a bigger tank. :green gri

some estimates here are frankly ridiculous. I doubt anyone has seen a basic for sale for under £6000 in the last ten years l certainly haven't . feck me a poxy old r80 cant be had for 2500 nowadays :comfort

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...gs+basic;&s=Motorbike&sfmr=false&vc=Motorbike

a bikes value doesn't just come from its sum parts it comes from many other factors that some people don't value or recognise. its a bit like art. for me it is Motorcycle Art. Possibly my favourite motorcycle of all time.:hippy:aidan I LOVE THEM !!

This..And, er, this again..Thirdly if you can afford it buy it, if not don’t.

You’ve survived a Pandemic man, celebrate life, get it bought, and ride the rubber off it, and when you’re very old and decrepit, you’ll remember the days when you were more than a motorcyclist, but, a member of a very special club, you’re almost there..:thumby:

Bit the bullet and bought one. Arriving tomorrow ����������������������

Nice bike, I love my airhead, enjoy 👍

Who is the dealer in Holmfirth? He had a dunkel blue R80 for sale last year, I would have liked that.

Appreciate the advice of the forum as to what is a sensible price to pay for a R80GS basic? I’m looking at one now with 25k miles on it, 1996, paralever, in average condition, not perfect, but not a dog. What would you say is a sensible price?

I see you are selling a fantastic and iconic KTM 990 R and getting a Basic

What’s the attraction ?

Never seen the attraction of airheads & surely the KTM is a far better bike to ride in terms of power, chassis and brakes

Easy answer, I’m getting old! I agree with everything you say about the 990 and mine is very well sorted, but l bought an 1150Adv and loved it, really smooth and relaxing to ride but also able to absolutely fly over the twisties and backroads. I did one euro trip on it last year and found it so much less tiring than any of the 990’s I’ve owned (5) but also much more characterful than the two 1200Gsa’s I’ve owned before. I likedit so much I bought a second one (both with 11k miles on them, like new). That got me thinking about whether I would actually use the 990 anymore and I concluded that I probably wouldn’t. I love having mint well maintained bikes, like many on this forum it seems, but I also like riding them and I don’t want it just sat there not being used. Hence a decision to sell it. Then I got to thinking that the 1150s were a bit OTT for riding around the Dales, Lakes, Scotland etc and that eventually led me to the idea of having a naked R80GS in the stable as well ��

Easy answer, I’m getting old!
I agree with everything you say about the 990 and mine is very well sorted, but l bought an 1150Adv and loved it, really smooth and relaxing to ride but also able to absolutely fly over the twisties and backroads.
I did one euro trip on it last year and found it so much less tiring than any of the 990’s I’ve owned (5) but also much more characterful than the two 1200Gsa’s I’ve owned before.
I liked it so much I bought a second one (both with 11k miles on them, like new).

That got me thinking about whether I would actually use the 990 anymore and I concluded that I probably wouldn’t. I love having mint well maintained bikes, like many on this forum it seems, but I also like riding them and I don’t want it just sat there not being used.

Hence a decision to sell it.

Then I got to thinking that the 1150s were a bit OTT for riding around the Dales, Lakes, Scotland etc and that eventually led me to the idea of having a naked R80GS in the stable as well ��

Ha, a bit like me then, near to the Dales with 2 1150 Adv's - they are lovely bikes to own and ride

I guess I have done a similar thing to you buying a Basic, me buying a Tenere 700 last year (albeit a modern bike) and enjoy it around the Dales for backroads and gravel trails

Enjoy the Basic and the 1150 Adv's

I know you’ve taken the plunge now, but an FYI for anyone else thinking of getting one...

I bought an R100GS-PD in the summer last year, imported it from Munich. The bike cost me £5200, plus delivery from a courier (I can’t remember how much that cost, maybe £150).

If you’re thinking of getting any airhead, it’s worth considering. There’s an app called Mobile.de which is basically the German AutoTrader. Have a scan through that and see if there’s anything worth importing.
73f099a864bc5b22061dcb52bf270161.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. Someone else put me on to the mobile.de site earlier and I had a good look around. All of the basic’s on there were way way more expensive than the one I’ve bought in the uk, which helped with the decision making ��

Thanks for that. Someone else put me on to the mobile.de site earlier and I had a good look around. All of the basic’s on there were way way more expensive than the one I’ve bought in the uk, which helped with the decision making ��

Hope your basic turns out to be a good one, sure you will enjoy it. Be good to see some pics when you get it.

Back
Top Bottom