How much should I pay for an R80GS Basic?

Mad Hatter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Appreciate the advice of the forum as to what is a sensible price to pay for a R80GS basic? I’m looking at one now with 25k miles on it, 1996, paralever, in average condition, not perfect, but not a dog. What would you say is a sensible price?

Once word gets out its a basic the price goes up

What a Blue frame and slightly upgraded suspension ever did to deserve that Kudos I don't know

Average condition ??

£2,500 -3K ish

better able to "guess" how long this bit of string is, with photos to judge authenticity and originality

It's a dangerous place to venture into

Don;t forget they are getting on for 25 years old now so Expect Maintenance required

Thankfully they don;t "Need" sent to experts if you have a pair of hands and a brain you can use!

Once word gets out its a basic the price goes up

What a Blue frame and slightly upgraded suspension ever did to deserve that Kudos I don't know

Average condition ??

£2,500 -3K ish

better able to "guess" how long this bit of string is, with photos to judge authenticity and originality

It's a dangerous place to venture into

Don;t forget they are getting on for 25 years old now so Expect Maintenance required

Thankfully they don;t "Need" sent to experts if you have a pair of hands and a brain you can use!

I think you’ll find a basic that is in a box of bits costs more than your estimate (I use cost rather than worth), depending on your view of what “average” means, probably closer to £5-6k.

R80G/S (81-86) and Basics fetch silly money for no good reason imho.

The Basic was conceived to use up parts in stock once the airheads were obsolete and oilheads had already come on line

Yes, I’ve researched that, a bit of a parts bin clear out. What’s your view on how much to pay for one?

You’d pay £5-6k for a good R100GS so maybe a grand more for a really good Basic and more again for a Kalahari. Any restoration/refresh is going to cost at least £2k so in average condition I’d pay £4k max.

Appreciate the advice of the forum as to what is a sensible price to pay for a R80GS basic? I’m looking at one now with 25k miles on it, 1996, paralever, in average condition, not perfect, but not a dog. What would you say is a sensible price?

sensible price would be £7-9000 id say without seeing it.

they fetch "good" money because they are the last air-cooled GS ever made by apparently the top guys at the plant (if that's true I wouldn't know but its a nice story). they are pretty rare and probably the best looking GS :p

I SOLD a Kalahari model 18 months ago for £13750 so the prices are real. the only difference is a bigger tank. :green gri

some estimates here are frankly ridiculous. I doubt anyone has seen a basic for sale for under £6000 in the last ten years l certainly haven't . feck me a poxy old r80 cant be had for 2500 nowadays :comfort

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...gs+basic;&s=Motorbike&sfmr=false&vc=Motorbike

a bikes value doesn't just come from its sum parts it comes from many other factors that some people don't value or recognise. its a bit like art. for me it is Motorcycle Art. Possibly my favourite motorcycle of all time.:hippy:aidan I LOVE THEM !!

Thanks, really appreciate the reply. The ‘classic’ bike market is crazy at present. I just want to make sure that if I spend say £7k on a bike and another couple getting it mint, that I’m not going to lose a big wedge if I choose to sell it later on

value often comes with originality especially with paintwork. its nice getting it mint if that's what you enjoy but maybe be careful if your think about painting the frame or tank maybe as it could reduce value and appeal if that's important . its only original once and all that.

BUY IT !:D

Great bikes

In my opinion, what do I know, the Basic is the easiest of the airheads to live with. The 800 is a very smooth engine and the rest of the bike just works.
The one on the right belongs to my pal, and is for sale. It won’t be cheap, but it is fully sorted, so you won’t be spending on it once you get it home. It will be sold with the standard tank and not the Kalahari tank.
If you are interested drop me a PM and I will hook you up with Steve.

Attachments

• 11641E47-D028-4B84-966C-D3366C105071.jpg
    11641E47-D028-4B84-966C-D3366C105071.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 336
  • FF229068-43EF-4A65-91A0-AF5E4CCEAEC2.jpg
    FF229068-43EF-4A65-91A0-AF5E4CCEAEC2.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 357
I agree that the 800 engine is nice if a little underpowered but, apart from the blue frame and some minor subframe differences, is the Basic any better than an R80GS? I know the R80’s are not that common but they can be had for a lot less money.

Thanks, really appreciate the reply. The ‘classic’ bike market is crazy at present. I just want to make sure that if I spend say £7k on a bike and another couple getting it mint, that I’m not going to lose a big wedge if I choose to sell it later on

Cost you much more than £2k to get it mint. Save your time and cash and buy this, better bike imo and completely sorted ready to go:
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/550296-BMW-R100GS-1988-8135-miles

value often comes with originality especially with paintwork. its nice getting it mint if that's what you enjoy but maybe be careful if your think about painting the frame or tank maybe as it could reduce value and appeal if that's important . its only original once and all that.

BUY IT !:D

Agreed. It's one of the last and will always be special. From the photos it looks not bad. Assuming that it's okay mechanically you should buy it and use it. You can't lose money on it. Not worth restoring it until you've had good use out of it. You can still buy the big tank from BMW to turn it into a Kalahari version. About £1,500 in primer.

sensible price would be £7-9000 id say without seeing it.

they fetch "good" money because they are the last air-cooled GS ever made by apparently the top guys at the plant (if that's true I wouldn't know but its a nice story). they are pretty rare and probably the best looking GS :p

I SOLD a Kalahari model 18 months ago for £13750 so the prices are real. the only difference is a bigger tank. :green gri

some estimates here are frankly ridiculous. I doubt anyone has seen a basic for sale for under £6000 in the last ten years l certainly haven't . feck me a poxy old r80 cant be had for 2500 nowadays :comfort

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...gs+basic;&s=Motorbike&sfmr=false&vc=Motorbike

a bikes value doesn't just come from its sum parts it comes from many other factors that some people don't value or recognise. its a bit like art. for me it is Motorcycle Art. Possibly my favourite motorcycle of all time.:hippy:aidan I LOVE THEM !!

I love your comment 'the top guys at the plant' I worked for BMW AG in the early 90's, albeit at the 4 cylinder building in Munich. If the Berlin bike factory is the same as the car plants, the 'top guys' will be Turkish guest workers.

Cost you much more than £2k to get it mint. Save your time and cash and buy this, better bike imo and completely sorted ready to go:
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/550296-BMW-R100GS-1988-8135-miles

I absolutely get what you are saying re how much it takes to bring one up to scratch, and your mates is an absolute beauty, but I just can’t get past the look of the seat for some reason, it just looks wrong to me. Eye of the beholder and all that 🙁

I absolutely get what you are saying re how much it takes to bring one up to scratch, and your mates is an absolute beauty, but I just can’t get past the look of the seat for some reason, it just looks wrong to me. Eye of the beholder and all that 🙁
Change the seat then.:augie
That was easy,
the invoice is in the post:D

I absolutely get what you are saying re how much it takes to bring one up to scratch, and your mates is an absolute beauty, but I just can’t get past the look of the seat for some reason, it just looks wrong to me. Eye of the beholder and all that ��

If the basic seat is anything like my ST was (and my GS) then it will need remodeling or changing also. Was fed up with trying to constantly re-arrange me bits :blast until I put a Corbin on! If you are thinking of the basic for aesthetic reasons only then you may need deep pockets, the bike is 25 years old. If you have never ridden an airhead you need to ride a few before buying.....my opinion :thumb.

Back
Top Bottom