And here we go...

My post was written based on personal experience so I fail to see why it was deemed 'shit advice'.

Having bought many fairly new cars from dealers without driving them or problems previously I bought a two year Golf from a VW dealer.

Sadly it turned out to be a pile of abused shite so I sought advice and was informed that because I'd bought from a dealer I had 30 days or 1,000 miles to return it for a full refund for no reason other than I didn't want it.

My thoughts on reading of the failed switch problem and that the suppling dealer hadn't yet agreed it would be covered by guarantee was to suggest returning the bike for a refund.

If the bike was returned for a refund the dealer would need to repair and resell it so I would bet on them agreeing to repair it so as not to have it back.

Shit advice? I don't think so.

I agree with everything you said above, I can't argue with it in principal nor would I want to. BUT, it seems a little drastic to be weighing up the option of returning it before giving the dealer ample chance to rectify the issue. BMW's are (as far as I'm aware) notorious in recent years for switchgear issues and I suspect the dealer refused to state it WOULD be a warranty job purely in case they got the bike in to find he'd been dicking around with stuff and actually caused the problem himself. I'm just assuming.

Obviously if the dealer says it's not covered then the route of rejecting it would be totally acceptable (in my humble opinion). I've found so far the dealer network to be quite good when it comes to warranty work.

I thought it was shit advice too. How to piss off a dealer that might have bent over backwards for you is to spit your dummy before they even get a chance to look at it. Mechanical things go wrong, new or otherwise and shit happens but it’s how they are resolved ( or not) that should dictate your response.

I thought it was shit advice too. How to piss off a dealer that might have bent over backwards for you is to spit your dummy before they even get a chance to look at it. Mechanical things go wrong, new or otherwise and shit happens but it’s how they are resolved ( or not) that should dictate your response.

Exactly this. It’s all about building relationships not dictating what happens when. I had a call from Vines today to talk through the issue so they could start ordering parts. Initially they thought it was a switch on the clutch that sometimes gets jarred and can knock out the cruise control, but it has no impact on the heated grips, indicators or headlight. A loan bike is being provided so I can get home and we’ll see what the techs investigation reveals.

My 2014 gsa had two left switch units and one right one during the initial 2 year warranty period and another left hand one at 34 months old during the extra one years free warranty given to me by BMW. All on a bike with less than 13,000 miles on the clock and garaged.

The switches are indeed cheap Chinese made crap , but the ones from 2016 or so onwards seem less troublesome (touchwood)

Exactly this. It’s all about building relationships not dictating what happens when. I had a call from Vines today to talk through the issue so they could start ordering parts. Initially they thought it was a switch on the clutch that sometimes gets jarred and can knock out the cruise control, but it has no impact on the heated grips, indicators or headlight. A loan bike is being provided so I can get home and we’ll see what the techs investigation reveals.

All very odd considering the latter two are operated from the left hand switch pack and, as you originally said, it was the left hand heated grip that had also failed :rolleyes:

My post was written based on personal experience so I fail to see why it was deemed 'shit advice'.

Having bought many fairly new cars from dealers without driving them or problems previously I bought a two year Golf from a VW dealer.

Sadly it turned out to be a pile of abused shite so I sought advice and was informed that because I'd bought from a dealer I had 30 days or 1,000 miles to return it for a full refund for no reason other than I didn't want it.

My thoughts on reading of the failed switch problem and that the suppling dealer hadn't yet agreed it would be covered by guarantee was to suggest returning the bike for a refund.

If the bike was returned for a refund the dealer would need to repair and resell it so I would bet on them agreeing to repair it so as not to have it back.

Shit advice? I don't think so.

I never said it was shit advice, I just asked for clarification if the comment was in relation to rejecting a warranty claim or for rejecting the bike.

I never said it was shit advice, I just asked for clarification if the comment was in relation to rejecting a warranty claim or for rejecting the bike.

Reading the post I gained the impression that the dealer was giving a bit of negative response towards the problem being covered by guarantee.

I consider myself to be a very reasonable person who always gives the benefit of doubt, accepts things go wrong, hates the wants something for nothing/compensation culture etc but if treated badly will fight my corner.

The Golf I bought was nothing like promised by the VW used car sales patter and was in a sorry state.

I've never rejected a vehicle before even though I must have bought more than 500 in my lifetime and with the VW offered to buy a different car if they had something similar.

If you'd spent a substantial amount of money on a bike from a dealer, a fairly expensive component failed in a very short time and in the first telephone conversation with the supplying dealer about the problem you're informed that it may not be covered by guarantee, I think it's only reasonable to consider how you're going to deal with the problem.

Reading the post I gained the impression that the dealer was giving a bit of negative response towards the problem being covered by guarantee.

I consider myself to be a very reasonable person who always gives the benefit of doubt, accepts things go wrong, hates the wants something for nothing/compensation culture etc but if treated badly will fight my corner.

The Golf I bought was nothing like promised by the VW used car sales patter and was in a sorry state.

I've never rejected a vehicle before even though I must have bought more than 500 in my lifetime and with the VW offered to buy a different car if they had something similar.

If you'd spent a substantial amount of money on a bike from a dealer, a fairly expensive component failed in a very short time and in the first telephone conversation with the supplying dealer about the problem you're informed that it may not be covered by guarantee, I think it's only reasonable to consider how you're going to deal with the problem.

I think most people would agree with you in those circumstances but I don’t believe that’s what the dealer said, just that they can’t judge something they can’t see via the phone. That’s standard practice for a seasoned service guy/gal. Otherwise it could turn up and show obvious signs of tinkering or accident damage and you get into the muddy waters of verbal contracts.

Particularly with used bikes/cars you have to consider that no inspection in the world will pick up previous damage or potential failures that are hidden and not showing symptoms. So although the bike is new to him, it could have been jet washed regularly and blasted grit into the switchgear etc. That’s still a warranty issue as they are guaranteeing the bike as sold but an example as to why a failure can happen at any time without any negligence on the part of the dealer. At face value I can’t see any chance that Vines won’t happily sort him out.

Sounds to me as though you didn't activate your legal right to reject the goods as not fit for purpose; that may well have followed or been an option, but you had an additional clause in your purchase contract that allowed you to swap within a certain time period, which they had little choice but to agree with, so formal rejection didn't become necessary.

If I were a dealer I would go to reasonable lengths to assist a customer who had a problem with goods I'd provided. That would of course include honouring the Ts&Cs of the purchase contract and warranty arrangements. But if a stroppy customer came to me after the first minor problem, didn't at least give me a chance to fix it and started talking about rejecting the vehicle, I'd probably become far more defensive and might well adopt an approach of "see you court."

Fortunately my days of being in a primarily customer service environment have passed! If I have to deal with members of the public who are being a pain in the arse these days, I adopt a very strict and "to the letter" approach which protects my colleagues and me from any claims of unfairness and tends to result in a much less pleasant experience for the member of the public. :D

Sounds to me as though you didn't activate your legal right to reject the goods as not fit for purpose; that may well have followed or been an option, but you had an additional clause in your purchase contract that allowed you to swap within a certain time period, which they had little choice but to agree with, so formal rejection didn't become necessary.

If I were a dealer I would go to reasonable lengths to assist a customer who had a problem with goods I'd provided. That would of course include honouring the Ts&Cs of the purchase contract and warranty arrangements. But if a stroppy customer came to me after the first minor problem, didn't at least give me a chance to fix it and started talking about rejecting the vehicle, I'd probably become far more defensive and might well adopt an approach of "see you court."

Fortunately my days of being in a primarily customer service environment have passed! If I have to deal with members of the public who are being a pain in the arse these days, I adopt a very strict and "to the letter" approach which protects my colleagues and me from any claims of unfairness and tends to result in a much less pleasant experience for the member of the public. :D

https://www.confused.com/buy-a-car/tips-for-buying/your-rights-when-buying-a-used-car
Your rights when buying a used car from a dealership

If you’ve bought a used motor from a dealership, you have the right to return the car within the first 30 days of purchase.

From the initial conversation with Vines this morning the response I got was ‘We can’t say if it’s covered by the warranty over the phone’.

It’s a 2019 with 6800 on the clock and I got it from Vines 4 weeks ago.

So I’m hoping that was just a blanket statement by the guy on the desk.

Can't see how you're ever going to be expected to put your hand in your pocket for that because, even if it weren't covered by the two-year approved used warranty (which it switches are covered), it will surely be covered under the 3 year warranty from new that the bike will still be under.

And that's before the whole issue of having had a problem only 4 weeks after buying a bike from them and their customer care should just deal with it anyway.

The thing that pisses me off with the 2 year AUB Warranty (which I found out last year) is that lights are not covered on used bikes. Whereas previously, they'd specifically exclude consumables like bulbs (which you'd expect), they now don't cover lights at all. So you'd better hope your expensive LED or Adaptive headlight doesn't fail as it's going to cost a fortune!! Even the tail light on my bike (which failed due to water ingress), was quoted £600 for replacement with labour!!! (its a K1600 unit). I'd bought the bike 4 months previously from Wollaston BMW and they agreed to cover the cost themselves after I went slightly ballistic!!

I'd bought the bike 4 months previously from Wollaston BMW and they agreed to cover the cost themselves after I went slightly ballistic!!

You could have just acted like an adult and stayed calm and got the same result.

What was wrong was righted. Gave me a 40th edition 850 as a courtesy bike which was a bit of a giggle.

well, I could have done but, as you don't know the problems I had with the bike with Wollaston and the salesman lying to me about carrying out a service on the bike which I found out hadn't been done and so on, means that going ballistic was entirely justified but thanks for your helpful remark which I'm sure has added much to the original thread. Feel free to randomly help out again anytime with your stupendous expertise....

You could have just acted like an adult and stayed calm and got the same result.

Back
Top Bottom