Exhaust Wrap

Why would you do that? All it’s going to do is trap dirt and moisture which will make the exhaust rot. For no benefit.

Don't do it.

It looks shite even on a rat bike and when it's been wrapped correctly.

As Mad Hatter says it rots your exhaust. I wrapped up my exhaust on the XT 660r (2 into 1 conversion) as I needed a bit of extra protection for my leg. All looked good and done the job well but when removed to re-import it back to Aus, (any hint of asbestos including brake pads and the bike would be doomed) there was considerable rusting underneath.

I’m not a fan. Serves no useful purpose and my first thought upon seeing it is what’s that hiding? JJH

I like it.

It doesn't improve the power output, but magically improves the fueling, much more mid-range torque. Completely transforms the bike.

I did my Ginetta 4 into 1 exhaust. I wanted to keep the heat in the exhaust and away from the fibreglass body. I also coated it with high temperature exhaust paint. It looked fine when I first did it but it soon looked a bit scruffy. Wasn't too much of a problem as it was under the bonnet but I don't think I'd have liked it on show.

Did it on my airhead hipster type bike when I had it, exhaust system was a custom job in stainless steel, as others have said; when the wrap was removed the headers were a mess, no amount of scrubbing and cleaning would put a shine back on them. If you do it there is no going back the headers will never look the same again.

Always reminds me of the Holts Gun Gum Exhaust Repair Bandage which we used to use on our old bangers when we couldn't afford a new system

Just considering wasting more money on the GS whilst we’re in lockdown and seen exhaust wrap. Does anyone have any experience of this ?

EG: https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-3129-heatshield-exhaust-wraps.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have wrapped the exhaust on one I am transplanting.. It was easy do.. I did it mainly as the pipes pass quite close to other bits n bobs. In honesty I don't like it on bikes. I think it will catch dirt and retain moisture.. Although I see the attraction of hiding the discolouration of the exhaust,, , they stay shiny for all of 20mins..

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

It's the hipster cappachino Moto legends bike argument against a UKGSER scuffeista... My experience is to avoid bikers wanting to talk about the finer points of exhaust wrap... 🤣 Each to their own tho...🙄😁

if you insist on doing it ,

buy the 1 inch roll , it's easier to get a good fit . Have a mate help you , do it in a vice , not on the bike, allow 50% overlay , buy twice as much ,as you think you need. get some really good lock wire and lockwire pliers.

when it's on , go for a slow ride , it will take a while for the smoking to stop , try not to breathe it in. AND petrol stations won't sell you fuel if it is smoking.

Thanks for all the replies... I get a feeling there are more negatives than positives, so thank you for stopping me wasting time and effort :)

Back
Top Bottom