Overly hot exhaust

what have i done

Reaction score
After running new fuel lines I ran my engine (Its in a van for those who didn't see my last cry for help ) now I have a strong suspicion that one exhaust is running hotter than the other..
I haven't ran the engine long (it's in a garage, and ventilation is an issue). But I ran it for a minute or so yesterday (just to boost moral after a week of wiring /making brake pipes etc) but i am convinced one header was glowing red..
I have ordered one of those lazer thermometer things and when it arrives I will do a timed comparison with my bike (if I can extract it from behind all the citroen bits it shares its covid isolating space with).

The engine was sold to me as lowish milage and cosmetically it was as good as any I have seen (I soda blasted and painted it anyway) and the oil I drained wasn't manky.. So it seems genuine enough. I checked and adjusted the tappets, fitted a new HES (old one absent so only factory marks to go by). New plugs new leads new coil..
Throttle bodies from the same seller but not original to the engine.
So in the video I posted of its first start up. I had flames in the exhaust. Tbh I wasn't surprised the throttle bodies were loose no air filters etc..
The engine starts fine and will idle almost immediately (unlike my bike). And I can see oil movement in the sight glass.
Hopefully I am worried about nothing but I have a gut feeling I have a flame in one of my headers..
The injectors are untested (save for the fact it runs and idles) initially I surmised one was dripping and due to the "wasted spark) igniting on the exhaust stroke.. But it doesn't sound plausible..
I know its impossible to diagnose just on the information provided. But I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues. ( It has a citroen flywheel so timing marks are imaginary)

Cheers

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Would that be an overly lean fuelling state?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Would that be an overly lean fuelling state?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I hope so.. Until I figure out where I can squeeze an air filter I won't know.. I really hope its something like that. I know my bike ran like a sack of ##it (backfiring etc) after I removed the cat. Sealing the exhaust joints with paste made a remarkable difference.. So I know little things can make a massive difference. And the exhaust on the van steps up to 2" to try and compensate for its torturous route.. Like I say I was just "reaching out". I will rig up some extraction by the time my thermometer comes and try do another vid.

When I suspected a hot exhaust I got one of those IR temp monitors, the type that various shops and hospitals take your forehead temp with.

It was only supposed to read to something like 400ºC but whether it was accurate at 600º or not, it did enable me to do comparison between left and right exhaust outlets, they were pretty close so I was comforted by that.

That was a couple of years ago and I have seen similar monitors on sale for ridiculously low prices since including at Aldi and shell petrol stations.
If you suspect flames in the header, perhaps look at valve timings and clearances
HTH

Try fitting the air intake torque tubes. They will smooth out the airflow through the throttle bodies and might help with better combustion.

Try fitting the air intake torque tubes. They will smooth out the airflow through the throttle bodies and might help with better combustion.
I would if I had some . I am really trying hard not to canablise my bike for bits.. I will try sourcing some suitable tube.. Cheers

Would some short lengths of plastic plumbing waste pipe be any good ?
I have seen any of the appropriate dims.. I think I will order some Silicone hose. I hasome cone air filters but the bore is too big so I will measure up and try order some over the weekend. But I really wanted a proper airbox. To look more "factory" and keep noise down.. But space is getting tight.
Cheers for idea though

Hi all
My little Gs powered van is road legal..
https://youtu.be/MEGdA0LkfDE

It's very loud. And the fuelling is "off" its a bit jerky in traffic..

My thinking is that the overly long induction pipes the lack of cat and the long 2"bore exhaust is confusing the ecu. (along with other motorists ).

I have the "tills de" (sorry I might be misremembering the proper name) injections fitted so a "John's chip" isn't an option. I am wondering about a "power commander" would fitting this allow some tweaking? I presume a rolling road would be needed.

I have tone down the exhaust I am way too old to put up with the racket. And since I plan to move it to Spain next month it will need homologation so the exhaust will have to go. Fingers crossed everything else will be OK.

Sadly my Gs may have to be sold.. The import costs compared to what I can buy one there for don't add up.. But I won't find one like mine again (but we all think that don't we)

Back
Top Bottom