Rear brake lever and after market pegs

sj_4x4

Reaction score
Had my first proper trip on the G.S today, we needed some milk, she was a real pleasure to ride but I found the ret brake lever sits far too high and inboard for what looks like after market pegs, can anyone tell me please if there is a replacement lever available, also is the rear brake like switch standard and if so is there a better alternative?

Attachments

• 20210221_114738.jpg
    20210221_114738.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 20210221_125336.jpg
    20210221_125336.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 176
BL switch is standard,
Some one has been busy with the welder,
There looks to be plenty of adjustment on the stop screw,slacken the lock nut,and the rod adjuster,
Wind the adjuster bolt down a bit,
Then readjust the rod.:thumb

Thanks Mikey, I did wonder if the peg mounts had been lowered.

You might have a problem getting the peg low enough with lower pegs - I had so I bolted P shaped piece of checker plat to the bottom of the loop on the tip of the peg.
Apart from lowering it you also increase the length of the pedal, and consequently increase the, er, power of the brake and the P shape also gets your toes out from under the carb and reduces the chance of kicking the float bowl off.

The rear brake lever from the ST sits further out from the frame and is located in a much easier location to operate.

However looking at the way the peg hangers have been repositioned it may sit far too high even with all the adjustment taken in.

It looks like you have no adjustment left to reduce the height of the brake (like Mike mentioned) so maybe a rubber for the top of the pegs or remove and bend the brake pedal even more (looks like someone may have tried this already however).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rear brake lever from the ST sits further out from the frame and is located in a much easier location to operate.

However looking at the way the peg hangers have been repositioned it may sit far too high even with all the adjustment taken in.

It looks like you have no adjustment left to reduce the height of the brake (like Mike mentioned) so maybe a rubber for the top of the pegs or remove and bend the brake pedal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, mine was on a G/S, but that pedal looks like it is in line with the inside of the footrest.
Most of my other airheads have it around the middle as standard, and that is where I moved it over to.

Looks like there is a block of rubber(?) held onto the lever by 2 cable ties, and holding the lever down under the footrest bracket where it is welded to the frame.

Something wrong with the stop light switch. Why has it got insulation tape around it?

Thanks for all your comments guys, I've had a proper look at it now, the block of rubber cable tied to the arm appears to have been someone's idea to limit the pedal travel, I have removed it and wound out the stop screw as far as I dare and it has reduced the height of the lever just about enough but it's still sitting to close to the frame, does the ST one sit further out and/or have a wider pad if so does anyone have one for sale ?

Back
Top Bottom