TFT update

That was BMW Master Technician and yes it is a known issue and it IS an issue with the TFT software and it’s incompatibility with IOS. There is an technical bulletin about it.
There is a current beta version under test with Testbirds covering a number of the known faults at the koment

That was BMW Master Technician and yes it is a known issue and it IS an issue with the TFT software and it’s incompatibility with IOS. There is an technical bulletin about it.
There is a current beta version under test with Testbirds covering a number of the known faults at the koment

Let me enlighten you: A BMW master technician is a bike mechanic who works at a BMW dealership, nothing more. The people at the BMW factory don't really tell him anything.
It is known that iphones are not as integrated with anything that is not made by apple as they should be. People do keep buying them though, less than 30% of the worlds population use one. That means that 70% of phone users have no problems.

I have an IPhone 11 and Packtalk bold, I had the update today 020 and it still has bugs.. I think the next phone will be Android. It’s is a disappointment as I paid for the TFT 03/18 1200GSA but I do think that the issue is IOS , the problem could be that apple keep updating the software and no doubt has an affect on the TFT.
The issue I have is with the music, it speeds up like playing a 45 at 78 speed intermittently and when answering or making a call the TFT can become unresponsive and not end the call just keeps the line open.
I’m going to borrow an Android phone and try it out see how I get on.

Let me enlighten you: A BMW master technician is a bike mechanic who works at a BMW dealership, trained by BMW to their specific vehicles, software, tools and processes across a number of platforms and years to reach that status. The people at the BMW factory really do tell him lots of things.
It is known that iPhones have an issue and the current beta testing for the latest app is specifically for IOS to bug find and isolate those issues. There are just as many with android - they are just different as has already been mentioned in this thread.

FTFY.

I have an IPhone 11 and Packtalk bold, I had the update today 020 and it still has bugs.. I think the next phone will be Android. It’s is a disappointment as I paid for the TFT 03/18 1200GSA but I do think that the issue is IOS , the problem could be that apple keep updating the software and no doubt has an affect on the TFT.
The issue I have is with the music, it speeds up like playing a 45 at 78 speed intermittently and when answering or making a call the TFT can become unresponsive and not end the call just keeps the line open.
I’m going to borrow an Android phone and try it out see how I get on.

So far Android has worked well for me save information from Spotify etc which, is readily available when using Apple IOS?

BMW 'Master Technician' doesn't mean much in reality and they would have very little knowledge of the updates. BMW keeps dealers largely in the dark when it comes to information unless it's in a tech bulletin as you said. Even then, the information is scarce

I have borrowed a Samsung S9, I can’t get the albums to display in the TFT what am I doing wrong?

I have an iphone, I’ve had problems with the TFT & the Nav6, using both SENA 5 & Cardo Packtalk.

I may be one of the “30%” but frankly, the phone is fine with the car, it works fine with either of the headsets when connected directly. it works with all the Bluetooth things I have in the house, and it’s the same operating system as my iPad, which is convenient, or would be if it worked properly (ie as advertised) with the bike.

I’m sure a greater percentage of the population have iPhones than have BMW bikes.

It’s an irritation that should not get as far as customers, if BMW had done their development properly.

Blaming Apple is pointless.

I have an iphone, I’ve had problems with the TFT & the Nav6, using both SENA 5 & Cardo Packtalk.

I may be one of the “30%” but frankly, the phone is fine with the car, it works fine with either of the headsets when connected directly. it works with all the Bluetooth things I have in the house, and it’s the same operating system as my iPad, which is convenient, or would be if it worked properly (ie as advertised) with the bike.

I’m sure a greater percentage of the population have iPhones than have BMW bikes.

It’s an irritation that should not get as far as customers, if BMW had done their development properly.

Blaming Apple is pointless.

The problem is when all the 4 things are connected at the same time. In your house it would only be connected to one at a time. Saying that, I don't think it's the iPhone at fault.

Let me enlighten you: A BMW master technician is a bike mechanic who works at a BMW dealership, nothing more. The people at the BMW factory don't really tell him anything.
It is known that iphones are not as integrated with anything that is not made by apple as they should be. People do keep buying them though, less than 30% of the worlds population use one. That means that 70% of phone users have no problems.

Exactly, a BMW master technician has no inside factory knowledge in the slightest.

Exactly, a BMW master technician has no inside factory knowledge in the slightest.

A BMW Master Technician who has had training at BMW HQ in Germany?
Really? You’re trying to say that their training is substandard to the bikes they are TRAINED to work on?
You don’t think that they are trained on each new model when there are changes?

A BMW Master Technician who has had training at BMW HQ in Germany?
Really? You’re trying to say that their training is substandard to the bikes they are TRAINED to work on?
You don’t think that they are trained on each new model when there are changes?

Go and worship your BMW Master Technician god if you want but there is nothing special about them. The factory do not send them special insider information about the updates for bikes.

Believe whatever you want though.....

I think my problems are as much as with my packtalk slim as they are with the tft/iphone. If I have to reconnect more than a couple of times it no longer offers phone channel 2 unless I perform a completely reset. Same thing today. Not worth any of the effort.

I think my problems are as much as with my packtalk slim as they are with the tft/iphone. If I have to reconnect more than a couple of times it no longer offers phone channel 2 unless I perform a completely reset. Same thing today. Not worth any of the effort.

My packtalk bold only needed pairing with the bike once. The next time I had the packtalk switched on and switched the bike ignition on, it just reconnected as it remembers the pairing. Okay so you have to wait a short while, but in that time I put my gloves and helmet on.

Has anyone paired the Nav as a phone on channel 2 apposed to a gps. If you had did it make a difference. Maybe there is a sequence we need to do for connecting the damn thing.

Has anyone paired the Nav as a phone on channel 2 apposed to a gps. If you had did it make a difference. Maybe there is a sequence we need to do for connecting the damn thing.

Yep, that's what I do.it works ok for me.

Hi I did not use the GPS pairing tried it and it didn’t work, use 2nd phone pairing for comms, I have iPhone 12 and with latest software all works quite well with connected App, Garmin Link etc, stream live radio without issue, have ITunes music on phone and SD card on Nav 6, all work. Negative side the TFT music selection using wonder wheel is poor and not particularly user friendly

Been enthralled with this thread and the great opinions so thought I may add to the debate since my second video of incompatibility with iOS and the state of play today (29/7). Since the update to the TFT I had in April (022_007_020) a few things improved dramatically

1) My iPhone 11 Pro (iOS 14.7.1) and Sena SRL (v1.1.2) now BOTH connect to the TFT 99% of the time for Phone/music

2) The volume for phone calls in particular has a much louder ‘top end’ and you almost hear that ‘click’ louder when the call connects and starts ringing

3) The calls and music are pretty flawless given the phone is moving in terrain where you would probably lose it in a car

4) The connected app connection (This runs the Nav function ONLY in the TFT and is independent of the phone/media connection) is still very poor and pretty much exactly as the video. This fault is acknowledged by the developers as being introduced when iOS 13.2. I have tried via comments to the video and my own testing to fix it and identify the combination that makes some successful and others not. Obviously I have all the settings for the app ‘on’ (Always On, Precise Location, Network access, phone not switched off and permanently powered, etc). Here’s what I’ve tried to identify any issue. Phone mounted on handlebars right by TFT. Deleted all other pairings from phone so it only has TFT connection, different iPhone 11 Pro, different SRL, No Nav 6. (See delete all other BT connections). Each time I make a test change I reset all connections (TFT, Phone, Sena) and re-pair. Android phone (borrowed) just works.

5) Because the media/phone are connected even if the connected app disconnects from the TFT (I lose turn by turn and MPH square) I still get ‘called’ directions through the media channel that is still connected but often when the app is actually disconnected this can ‘lag’ by several miles meaning The instructions are ‘late’

Something I’ve discovered is that they have throttled the BT range back to conserve battery. In my eyes that is not needed as powering phone from usb or power bank would be no issue but if you run connected app on iPhone without power and leave phone on (as advised by BMW) it’ll suck juice

Finally BT is a mature tech. It should work. BMW should be praised for building a motorcycle orientated app (eg not CarPlay or similar) but this could raise doubt on what other electronics don’t work? I’d love them to fix this. I’d love to help but for those who just say ignore it and enjoy the ride. If this was a VW car there’d be a class lawsuit

Hope I’ve added to this debate and mostly, just hope in some update (iPhone, App or TFT) this just starts working. I love the app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom