1290 Super Adventure R

So they are! I missed that, thanks. How are the KTM panniers, they used to be really flimsy and leaky - are they sorted now?

One advantage of the normal hoop racks is they’ll fit my Kriega Overlander softcases, but for road touring lockable is definitely more convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really used the new KTM ones in anger yet - but appear to be well made and very solid. Whether they are waterproof - time will tell but can see no reason why the would not be so long as you do not overload them and distort the lid.

I went for the Akrapovic and the full touratech black aluminium luggage. Only have the topbox on at the bike mo though.
Love the KTM after loads of BMWs. The 1290 SAS is epic.
Whipped out the DB killers on the can too obviously. ;-)

Attachments

• DDD4339B-4255-4CC1-8515-C7C0C3F517D9.jpg
    DDD4339B-4255-4CC1-8515-C7C0C3F517D9.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 37EE5EB0-CAA2-476B-9545-F6FBD6B1630F.jpg
    37EE5EB0-CAA2-476B-9545-F6FBD6B1630F.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 152
  • A805051A-120F-4786-AE28-D3A8218C4972.jpg
    A805051A-120F-4786-AE28-D3A8218C4972.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 92CDBFD7-49F4-4067-B621-1939EBC232F8.jpg
    92CDBFD7-49F4-4067-B621-1939EBC232F8.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 153
Bumot !!

Then keep the panniers when you change bikes.

The old 1290R on Bumots website is mine . He never asked to use my pics ! Naughty Asen!

Bumot !!

Then keep the panniers when you change bikes.

The old 1290R on Bumots website is mine . He never asked to use my pics ! Naughty Asen!

I think the Bumot rails are straight hoops too, again gives me the flexibility to switch between the Kriega soft bags or the tin boxes.

I think the Bumot rails are straight hoops too, again gives me the flexibility to switch between the Kriega soft bags or the tin boxes.

Exhaust side is still stepped to allow for cut out in the pannier.

On my 1290 R I’ve just had a set of the Bumots in grey - will post up once I’ve got them on

Exhaust side is still stepped to allow for cut out in the pannier.

Hmm. So they are, I wonder if Kriega do an adaptor plate - I know they do one for the BMW stepped rails.

Anyone have a better sat nav Mount option than the KTM one? Seems a bit flimsy.

Attachments

• 01_373_5415_0_03_c9b1-7139045312.jpg
    01_373_5415_0_03_c9b1-7139045312.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 370
Find the KTM one on the (17-20) 1290 pretty good, the 1190 one was pretty poor, stuck with it as it did the job, but would not recommend it, but not able to complain about the 1290 affair as done 9k now and not really thought about it, which suggests it is acceptable (to me anyway).

Have they made it shit again?

Find the KTM one on the (17-20) 1290 pretty good, the 1190 one was pretty poor, stuck with it as it did the job, but would not recommend it, but not able to complain about the 1290 affair as done 9k now and not really thought about it, which suggests it is acceptable (to me anyway).

Have they made it shit again?

Nothing wrong with the KTM mount itself, the problem is where it's positioned between the upper windscreen supports. I have a 2021 1290 SAS and a TomTom Rider 550 satnav. Like most adventure bikes, the windscreen vibrates over rough surfaces or at speed but not exceptionally so. The problem is the TomTom mount pushes the unit out from the support so that it acts as a pendulum and any screen vibrations are magnified, annoyingly so. This may not be such a problem with the SAR's smaller screen, although the supports are identical, or with any satnav (Garmin?) with a more compact mount which should create less of a pendulum effect.

The Touratech mount eliminates the excessive vibration problem as it is fitted to the back of the instrument panel support and, as it's cheaper than the KTM mount, I think it's a no brainer.

Nothing wrong with the KTM mount itself, the problem is where it's positioned between the upper windscreen supports. I have a 2021 1290 SAS and a TomTom Rider 550 satnav. Like most adventure bikes, the windscreen vibrates over rough surfaces or at speed but not exceptionally so. The problem is the TomTom mount pushes the unit out from the support so that it acts as a pendulum and any screen vibrations are magnified, annoyingly so. This may not be such a problem with the SAR's smaller screen, although the supports are identical, or with any satnav (Garmin?) with a more compact mount which should create less of a pendulum effect.

The Touratech mount eliminates the excessive vibration problem as it is fitted to the back of the instrument panel support and, as it's cheaper than the KTM mount, I think it's a no brainer.

That looks the ticket. I got the KTM one as it was thrown in but the TT one looks better.

I had a problem with the KTM one wobbling too much and then realised one of the bolts going into the middle "barrel" bit had come loose. Tightened it and all good again with BMW 4 button mount :D

A bit heretical, I know, but my SAR is not going to do any serious off road, gravel tracks only, so I'm thinking of changing the 21/18 wheel set to a 19/17 wheel set.

Is this doable? I assume the electronics can be reset so the speed etc. reads right since the SAS has 19/17? I was looking at Haan wheels, Woody's being a bit mad in terms of import costs. Then'd need to swap over brake discs, ABS rings, (front and rear) - anything else?

A bit heretical, I know, but my SAR is not going to do any serious off road, gravel tracks only, so I'm thinking of changing the 21/18 wheel set to a 19/17 wheel set.

Is this doable? I assume the electronics can be reset so the speed etc. reads right since the SAS has 19/17? I was looking at Haan wheels, Woody's being a bit mad in terms of import costs. Then'd need to swap over brake discs, ABS rings, (front and rear) - anything else?

You will have Arsey and Cookie hunting you down for suggesting such heresy :D

Would check with your dealer that they can alter the ECU for different sized Wheels otherwise you will have the same problems as Andres has had putting SM wheels on his 701.

Mmmmmm...... you could be the guinea pig for this.

I have a set of 17" wheels that go on my MY2021 Husky 701 Enduro. They have thrown out the speedo and the MTS/ABS don't work along with the yellow engine light coming on. The EMS is shared between the SM and Enduro 701s so you'd think there is a way of switching it via diagnostics or some such but fecked if I could find out how.......

Much research later and the only answer has been to get custom made 'tone' (ABS) rings to compensate for the change in wheel ODs. I found a guy via Adv Rider who makes them for 790/890s for people doing just what you're thinking of doing so can PM you his details if you're interested.

BTW I'm the guinea pig for the701/690s and have yet to fit them (lack of time) so don't know if it works yet.

Andres

Back
Top Bottom