1290 Super Adventure R

Good info ta.
The one piece Powerparts seat on the bike now is ok for height and is a standard height so I assume would be same as standard heated Ergo rider seat on low setting ?

Would suggest that you really need to sit on an S to compare the standard seat HT's in high and low and then work out whether a standard HT Ergo seat or a high Ergo is best for you.
As standard the SAS set up (pegs same HT as the R) was way too cramped for me at 6" 3". Have ended up having to lower the pegs as well as having the highest seat option to work for me.

Would suggest that you really need to sit on an S to compare the standard seat HT's in high and low and then work out whether a standard HT Ergo seat or a high Ergo is best for you.
As standard the SAS set up (pegs same HT as the R) was way too cramped for me at 6" 3". Have ended up having to lower the pegs as well as having the highest seat option to work for me.

Thanks again Paul.
I’m 6’1” with about 33” inside leg.
I’ve always had bikes with tall seats.
My 950SE with Renazco seat was something like 950mm !!! And my ATAS I always had on the tall setting…..UNTIL about 18 months ago.
My knees are a tad fucked and I suddenly found that I was better to have the seat on lower setting, especially two up as gave me more balance and stability at a stand still.
But I like the idea of the tall heated Ergo but on low setting.
I’ve decided I’m going to make my mate a low ish offer and walk away.
He may well sell it for more but if my offer is better than his part ex price than he might accept.

I’m not desperate to buy the bike but it is rather nice and if I can get it for about £4K less than what it owes him then it’ll be a good deal and offset my loss on the 701LR.

I had a good long hard look at those when Andy got the first ones in to Premier Bikes. One of the nicest they’ve made so far in my view.

And I completely get your thoughts on the previous model 1290 SAR - I couldn’t get on with mine either.

I had a good long hard look at those when Andy got the first ones in to Premier Bikes. One of the nicest they’ve made so far in my view.

And I completely get your thoughts on the previous model 1290 SAR - I couldn’t get on with mine either.

The new bike is like chalk and cheese.
Handling is so much better due to the lower c of g with the pannier tanks.But the biggest difference is the motor.Seems so much smoother.Where the old bike would cough and splutter in a high gear at low revs, the new one just pulls away.Seems gruntier too,and sounds ace with the Akra with baffle removed.

Been looking at luggage and think I might go the SW Motech route.
I’ve always liked the Bumot kit but I like the idea of the SW M’s Trax Adv panniers with the Pro side carriers so I can remove the frames when not needed.

02483200cea0eaa825ec7a861d39d2ed.jpg

fa6a051312b02d867f3a5249d48cd979.jpg

The new bike is like chalk and cheese.
Handling is so much better due to the lower c of g with the pannier tanks.But the biggest difference is the motor.Seems so much smoother.Where the old bike would cough and splutter in a high gear at low revs, the new one just pulls away.Seems gruntier too,and sounds ace with the Akra with baffle removed.

Been looking at luggage and think I might go the SW Motech route.
I’ve always liked the Bumot kit but I like the idea of the SW M’s Trax Adv panniers with the Pro side carriers so I can remove the frames when not needed.

02483200cea0eaa825ec7a861d39d2ed.jpg

fa6a051312b02d867f3a5249d48cd979.jpg

Are these SW ones mixed sizes though? Me no likey if they are. Prefer a little bit of symmetry with panniers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can never understand why the left hand side frames have to be stuck at as far as that.
All the manufactuerers seen do it, if I was getting some panniers it would be the plastic KTM ones.
But everyones different

I can never understand why the left hand side frames have to be stuck at as far as that.
All the manufactuerers seen do it, if I was getting some panniers it would be the plastic KTM ones.
But everyones different

:thumb

Went for these on my 2021 SAS after Holan stopped doing the frames for my old boxes. One of the narrower options:

.....and nice and neat when not using them which is most of the time ;)

They look quite neat but the right pannier looks tiny as it’s so sculpted out around the exhaust.
I also have some Enduristan pannier top bags which I can attach to ally panniers with hooks but obviously not to these.

All the manufactuerers seen do it, if I was getting some panniers it would be the plastic KTM ones. But everyones different

How I feel with the new model, had the Huge Givi on my 1190 / 1290 which were barely any wider than stock, but held about twice as much (our used 1090 came with panniers and they were very wide and held very little. Bough set of Holans for solo trips as they were by far narrowest and held as much as OE ones - but left bike about a foot narrower!

If only someone would tuck the left side right in yo could probably get a nice big 45L on that side with a smaller (but still worthwhile) 30L in exhaust side and keep symetric width.

They look quite neat but the right pannier looks tiny as it’s so sculpted out around the exhaust.

It was the internal shape on the last generation which meant the pannier was almost uselesss - spare visor / gloves / a few tools was all it seemed good for - not looked inside 2021 panniers but assume similarly useless.

I have the same now on my 2021 SAR, seeking to keep the width down. The best ever set for width were the Jesse boxes I has on my 1190 but they don't do the fittings for the 2021+ 1290's. The Jesse's were genuinely no wider than the bars.

This KTM set is about 2" wider than the bars each side, I would guess. I've paired them with the Perun Moto rear rack, to which I've added the Givi Monkey kit, so I can mount my existing Givi Trekker 52 or put a roll bag of some sort on there. I have found (mentioned elsewhere) that a top box gives a bit of a head shake so I'll plan to use something like my Mosko Moto duffle on trips, and use the top box when I'm just local

:thumb

Went for these on my 2021 SAS after Holan stopped doing the frames for my old boxes. One of the narrower options:

.....and nice and neat when not using them which is most of the time ;)

I have the same now on my 2021 SAR, seeking to keep the width down. The best ever set for width were the Jesse boxes I has on my 1190 but they don't do the fittings for the 2021+ 1290's. The Jesse's were genuinely no wider than the bars.

This KTM set is about 2" wider than the bars each side, I would guess. I've paired them with the Perun Moto rear rack, to which I've added the Givi Monkey kit, so I can mount my existing Givi Trekker 52 or put a roll bag of some sort on there. I have found (mentioned elsewhere) that a top box gives a bit of a head shake so I'll plan to use something like my Mosko Moto duffle on trips, and use the top box when I'm just local

Used the AltRider plate with added Givi fittings - no issue with head shake on my SAS using the 52L Kappa/Trekker top box.

Reference the KTM plastic luggage - the exhaust side pannier obviously looses a fair bit of space but still has a fair usable capacity:

....and the full size one:

As always different options suit different people :)

Used the AltRider plate with added Givi fittings - no issue with head shake on my SAS using the 52L Kappa/Trekker top box.

Reference the KTM plastic luggage - the exhaust side pannier obviously looses a fair bit of space but still has a fair usable capacity:

Ta for the pics .

The last time I had plastic luggage on a KTM was this :

c707870e1f684aa5a3e8a115be0168de.jpeg

Seem to recall they had an internal cavity in each pannier wall with a filler and a tap and you could fill with 2 litres of water.
Made by Hepco and Becker I think.

Going back to the current placcy ones, don’t think they’ll suit my 1290R.

Jury is out between

KTM Powerpart (Touratwat) black ally jobbies

0166539d392a574ab1f42cc2c4820844.jpg

f256bf73b6a1816238821e4c7a8366f1.jpg

5f9ca7ed316571d39a1cfc4f0fd985e4.jpg

SW Motech Pro Carrier/Trax Adv black panniers

6d1cb67c2cdc152a8bc652abe262a4a2.jpg

8fce2616fc83738419aadb00446568a2.jpg

Bumot Defender EVO :

b413bba4a3dab7924e16eef28a206fa5.jpg

38f852277913baf9c7884ed43f321627.jpg

I’ve had Bumots on my old 1290R and then ATAS.Loved them and never leaked a drop but the frames are quite solid and scaffoldy.I also love the tool box as perfect for a lock and chain lube. I think they look better than the Touratwat frames,especially as the latter are silver and stick out more !! (Yes I know I’ve shown an SAS in the pics but the KTM configurator is not loaded with an SAR for 2022)

But I’m only going to need the panniers a couple of times a year at most so like the idea of the SW Motechs where the frames are quick release.

That’s answers a question, which is “does a helmet fit”

I got the inner bags, which kind of divide the pannier into two. I reckon the exhaust side one I can fit stuff I don’t need to access much and leave it in the inner bag, then fit shoes and a wash bag in the lid area. It’s hard to use that space without the inner bag.

The head shake seems to affect the R, not so much the S. Wheel size, maybe?

Ta for the pics .

The last time I had plastic luggage on a KTM was this :

c707870e1f684aa5a3e8a115be0168de.jpeg

Seem to recall they had an internal cavity in each pannier wall with a filler and a tap and you could fill with 2 litres of water.
Made by Hepco and Becker I think.

Going back to the current placcy ones, don’t think they’ll suit my 1290R.

Jury is out between

KTM Powerpart (Touratwat) black ally jobbies

0166539d392a574ab1f42cc2c4820844.jpg

f256bf73b6a1816238821e4c7a8366f1.jpg

5f9ca7ed316571d39a1cfc4f0fd985e4.jpg

SW Motech Pro Carrier/Trax Adv black panniers

6d1cb67c2cdc152a8bc652abe262a4a2.jpg

8fce2616fc83738419aadb00446568a2.jpg

Bumot Defender EVO :

b413bba4a3dab7924e16eef28a206fa5.jpg

38f852277913baf9c7884ed43f321627.jpg

I’ve had Bumots on my old 1290R and then ATAS.Loved them and never leaked a drop but the frames are quite solid and scaffoldy.I also love the tool box as perfect for a lock and chain lube. I think they look better than the Touratwat frames,especially as the latter are silver and stick out more !! (Yes I know I’ve shown an SAS in the pics but the KTM configurator is not loaded with an SAR for 2022)

But I’m only going to need the panniers a couple of times a year at most so like the idea of the SW Motechs where the frames are quick release.

If you go for the KTM/TT ones I’ve a set of frames for sale over in the for sale thread.

Came on the bike but I’ve gone for a plastic boxes.

Back
Top Bottom