Old Style Metzler Tourance Tyres

gsman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience of Metzler Tourance (old Style) on a 1250 GSA?

Anyone have any experience of Metzler Tourance (old Style) on a 1250 GSA?

I have on a 1200 GSA. They were very good, I preferred them to the later generation. Can't see why they would be any less accomplished on a 1250.

I have them on my LC Gsa 1200, to be honest I don't like them that much. I've used them on my TC gsa and previous models and they were very good. On the LC handling is vague and they are awful in the wet but they are very hard wearing. Mine are only half worn after about 6000mls. One advantage though over some tyre brands though is that there is very little road noise when riding...

Great tyres, grip is top even in the wet, handling you can't ask for better. plenty of feedback....I will be buying them again for sure

My 04 1200 came fitted with Tourance from new, 70 K later it’s still is. I can only remember two potentially serious incidents, on both occasions the tyres did what you hope they will.

I had trailriders on the hexhead, couldnt get them again so went to the tourance

took fecking ages to scrub in, once they did , as good as the trailriders

However as ohthers have said, very hard wearing, (but takes ages to scrub in)

Typical Metzeler , they were the same on my NSR

Ive had them on my 1250 for two years bloody love them, plenty of grip and the pair fiited for under £200 :okay

The michelin anakee adventure shite were noisy as hell that come standard :blast

Why would you put the old style Tourance on your bike if the Tourance Next is already old since it was new in 2012...In spring Metzeler/Pirelli have the all new Tourance Next 2 that should be even better than the Pirelli ST2 that came out in 2015 which was longer lasting and quicker steering than the Tourance Next...Also I think the old Tourance comes from China or Brazil and not Germany...:(

The old style Tourance tyres that I have on my LC are made in Germany. When the LC was introduced this particular tyre wasn't made in the sizes required and I think that Metzler made them due to popular demand. However the Tourance tyres that I last bought for my previous TC 1200 adv were made in China and did seem inferior to the German made ones...

They WERE made in Germany but now they make the cheaper stuff in China since Pirelli sold a lot of their stock to a big chinese chemical company...:( I try Not to buy chinese stuff because I already work cheap enough as it is ! Also it was not nice to release the Wuhan flew costing milllions of people their jobs while china is back producing cheap junk...

As a reference to above reply, ... Perhaps the place of manufacture may have changed recently but the set I bought and fitted to my LC 8mths ago were German made...

Why would you put the old style Tourance on your bike if the Tourance Next is already old since it was new in 2012...In spring Metzeler/Pirelli have the all new Tourance Next 2 that should be even better than the Pirelli ST2 that came out in 2015 which was longer lasting and quicker steering than the Tourance Next...Also I think the old Tourance comes from China or Brazil and not Germany...:(

Have you heard the old saying "If its not broke dont fix it" the old tourance do everything for me, in the wet, dry ,salty , muddy theyve never let me down. The only time they go a bit squirmy is at stupid speeds 120mph+ and i dont do that on purpose very often.
There made in Germany and China my tyre fitter did show me how to tell the difference but ive forgot :blast Ive got virtually same milage out both sets

Great plodding tyre set , especially when two up as the mileage is good . As a set for , let’s say , more spirited riding they do give way as the compound is hard . Like I say a great set but the do get overwhelmed when pushed.
IMHO of course .

+ One for the old standard Tourance, had them on my Varadero 1000 for years & will be putting them on my V Strom 1000 when the original Bridgestones need replacing,
I'm pritty shore there all made in china now ! It will say "made in china"on the tyre.
Plus's you can pick a pair up for around £140 & on my Varadero I could get 10,000 miles easily out of a rear .

Ian.

The Tourance Next that came out when the R1200GS-LC came out is a good tire.Problem is the Pirelli ST2 that came out 3 years later is better when it comes to quick steering and less wear.Since Pirelli/Metzeler is one company I expect the all new Metzeler Tourance Next 2 being better than the PST2 since it is 5 years newer besting the older designs...My next tire to try and then the M9RR...My favorite tires for the GS are PST2 and ContiTA3...The Conti being a little longer lasting and more stable @ speeds above 120 mph with bags...

I had a set of old style tourance's on my 1200lc gsa and they are the best tyre I've come across. 100% quieter than the anakee 3s and twice as much grip in the wet and dry.

Hot them from fwr for £165

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I have had the old Tourance on my 1150GS for 50K miles and number of times I had scares I can count on my one hand. And all of them myself was to blame. Every time the bike and tires got me out of it. Riding over Bealach na ba while snowing and then an ice ring at the top and not coming down was enough to convert me for ever. Most of my rides is in wet weather and I found it handles standing water also very well.

End of the day they must still be a top seller to be around this long... plus a few new bikes are coming with them standard now :thumby:

Old Tourance on my TC, nothing better IMHO. Better than the Trailriders and Anakee's (3 and adventure), tried both, went straight back to Metzeler Tourance, the Tourance Next is very good too but I prefer the originals, never looked at where they were made though, never bothered me.

Back
Top Bottom