Shifting down - issue

Bayram

Reaction score
Hi, has anybody else had issues with their gearbox when shifting down? I could not get my bike to go down through the gears the other day, particularly into 4/3/2. I stopped and wiggled the shift lever a bit (I mean, I really didn't know what else to do by the side of the road!) and it seemed OK for a bit but then started again. Shifts up OK but shifting down the lever just feels loose and unresponsive. Any ideas?

Hi, has anybody else had issues with their gearbox when shifting down? I could not get my bike to go down through the gears the other day, particularly into 4/3/2. I stopped and wiggled the shift lever a bit (I mean, I really didn't know what else to do by the side of the road!) and it seemed OK for a bit but then started again. Shifts up OK but shifting down the lever just feels loose and unresponsive. Any ideas?

could very well be the linkages need cleaning and lubing......common problem

When was the last time you changed your gearbox or clutch fluid,

That said, how many miles has the bike done and what is the state of the clutch plate ??

When was the last time you changed your gearbox or clutch fluid,

That said, how many miles has the bike done and what is the state of the clutch plate ??

Forgive me for asking, but what would any of the above have to do with the problem?

could very well be the linkages need cleaning and lubing......common problem

Easy place to start looking. From your description it seems this is the problem . Muck in the linkages where they go through the frame can stop the gear lever returning so you then cannot select the next gear.
I have had the same problem on my TL before and thought the gearbox was fubar. A clean up and regrease of the pivots and all was sweet again.

I’ve never owned a 1200 so don’t know if the set up is similar but had this a couple of times on 1150’s and an 1100 I’ve owned. Each time it was a result of grime and the like gumming up the gear lever linkage, especially at the point where it pivots on the foot peg hanger.

Friction has a habit of welding things together;)

Just as lubrication is important too.

Well: Oil doesn't age or degrade when not overheated or exposd to combustion products, worn clutch plates make changing easier but may not transmit power properly.
Where is the friction you are talking about occurring?
Seriously, though, a previous poster suggesting linkage seizure is probably near the mark.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE ABOVE HERE... they are all wrong , i'll do you a favour , and take it away from you , i will leave( in exchange ) my lovely r1150gs ,high mileage , raced and rallied , driven in the rain , not cleaned , PLUS ....i have thrown it up the road ...with and without panniers. :D

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE ABOVE HERE... they are all wrong , i'll do you a favour , and take it away from you , i will leave( in exchange ) my lovely r1150gs ,high mileage , raced and rallied , driven in the rain , not cleaned , PLUS ....i have thrown it up the road ...with and without panniers. :D

This is by far the best advice you'll get!!.

Yes, I think this might have been it! I got under the bike and sprayed all the moving parts with some grease/lubricant and it seemed much better... we shall see!

Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciate the help. I have a new (engine-related) issue, so I'm going to start a new thread on that!

Yes, I think this might have been it! I got under the bike and sprayed all the moving parts with some grease/lubricant and it seemed much better... we shall see!

You really need to take the linkage apart, ball joints etc and properly clean them :rob

you need to remove the linkage where it goes through the frame,clean and lubricate job done,you have just delayed it happening again with loads of lube in the wrong place attracting dirt!

Gear lever off, you can work the rest out as you go along.

Back
Top Bottom