Posting photos

John Roberts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I thought I'd got this sorted a few days ago. Well, bollocks, I haven't. I had another go at posting again in the "Test" section, and here's what happened, it's a quote of my post to save me writing it out again. God, I'm pissed off.
Another photo test, parts of a shaper this time, let's see how this one works out ....

Oh bugger, it says " This BMP image has the incorrect file extension" What the f**k does that mean??? I feel old. So old. Sigh.

It's a jpg file, and that usually works fine, why does it say in the Manage Attachments drop-down window that it's a BMP image? :nenau
I've highlighted my question, please can somebody help?

Have you established that the file extension on the image you're trying to post is .JPG and it hasn't been changed to .BMP?

Please follow these steps: :comfort

1. Ensure you're signed on;
2. Select new post;
3. Type your written narrative as appropriate;
4. Click on advanced (bottom right corner);
5. Click on the "Paper Clip" icon;
6. A pop-up window will appear, then select choose file to attach the relevant files;
7. Then select upload;
8. Once complete (if required) either click on preview post (to review what the post will subsequently appear) or to merely click post to complete.

Hope this helps. :thumb2

Attachments

• 173793_524517.jpg
    173793_524517.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Posting photos 3.JPG
    Posting photos 3.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Posting photos 2.JPG
    Posting photos 2.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Posting photos 1.JPG
    Posting photos 1.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 90
Have you established that the file extension on the image you're trying to post is .JPG and it hasn't been changed to .BMP?
Yes, the little box with the photo I that click on after I select Choose file shows that it is a jpg, and it is this that is puzzling because the drop-down window is saying that it's a BMP file and presumably that is why it cannot download the file (a picture in this case). By the way, is jpg the same as JPG ?

oddjob: I honestly think that this sequence is what I did follow, see my reply to Schtum as to where it goes tits up. Item 4 in the list (re 'Advanced') was helpful; it explained why the paperclip icon was missing sometimes e.g. in the "Quick Reply" mode. :)

EDIT
And thank you oddjob: for going to a lot of trouble in you reply; appreciated. :thumb2

Last edited:
You're most welcome. :beerjug:

Would you please advise when (or if) you've achieved a successful resolution.

Bye for now.

PS; I discovered the esoteric :ukgser "attachments" process through trail and error;
pps; perhaps the mod's could highlight this thread for future reference and consideration by other members?

Oddjob; To be honest all this could be my fault, the annoying thing is that a year or so ago I could post pictures without any bother but for some reason I seem to have hit a brick wall. It may well turn out to be me doing something silly, it has been known. :blast :D

This is the .png file you were attempting to upload, John. As you'll see, it's not a .jpg but .png files are also supported for upload as attachments on here.

It was indeed a .png file when you e-mailed it to me but it becomes a .jpg when it's uploaded. I suspect the answer to why you're not succeeding in uploading it lies in there somewhere.
Perhaps someone who's more au fait with file extensions than I am can elucidate.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 76
Well, for some reason I seem to have cracked it, everything works fine now, I tried a couple of other jpg's in the 'Test' section and it all worked just fine. Well, I say I've cracked it; the thing is I have no idea how, it just started working for me for some reason. It seems to be just that one image playing silly buggers. Heartfelt thanks to all concerned. :beerjug:

Just to prove it, another couple: Yep, they're OK. No idea why they are so big though, sometimes pics are big, sometimes small. :nenau Never mind, they'll do me. Anyway, since it seems I can post pictures once more I may post these and others in a thread in the B & B if anyone's interested, they are pics of work I did on one of the boilers on the locos of the Welsh Highland Railway. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_2798.jpg
    IMG_2798.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2807.jpg
    IMG_2807.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 75
Sorry Schtum, I've only just seen you reply above, it must have appeared after I started writing my post. Anyway, all very mystifying to me as the wretched thing was initially labelled as a jpg. I'm not sure of the sequence of our emails/PMs/posts but I'm wondering if my suggested explanation in my last email made any sort of sense.

Anyway, thank you so much for your time and interest, very kind of you. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom