My First Airhead

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have taken the plunge and purchased my first air head a 1976 R75/6.
I am sure there will be lots of noob questions so thanks in advance for any answers.
Some pictures of the bike below:

Attachments

• IMG_2484.jpg
    IMG_2484.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_2486.jpg
    IMG_2486.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_2487.jpg
    IMG_2487.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_2491.jpg
    IMG_2491.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 447
Lovely wee thing. Hope you get some good runs on her. Had a few airheads. Quirky but addictive.

Ex police bike?
As shown by the tank, and the longer front mudguard?

Those who know airheads better than me w I’ll be along to confirm/deny my comments I’m sure

OP; enjoy your new toy.

Through my whisky laden eyes, I always thought the red line area on the clocks was hollow and not all red. Maybe I'll think different in the morning !:D

Lol.
The clocks are the right period,with the main beam light in the tachometer..
I’ll take a look at the other bikes I have over the weekend to confirm.

Haven't got access to my 1975(ish) 75/6 to have a look but from memory these look right - white numerals, indicator light at the bottom & brake at the top. Apparently some of the earliest bikes also had a white ring around the clock faces, omitted on the later bikes. Hadn't noticed the hollowed out 'bloodline' on the later bikes - every day's a schoolday.
It's the details like this that some people obsess over...

Nice looking bike, the front mudguard intrigues me it looks too low or too big. It'll be nice to hear how it rides when you get a chance.

Nice looking bike, the front mudguard intrigues me it looks too low or too big. It'll be nice to hear how it rides when you get a chance.

It's an ex Polis bike. All the /6 cop bikes had deeply valanced front guards. I think that changed in the 80s. The clocks are correct by the way. This bike probably had an Avon fairing and a single seat originally. The dual seat looks like a /5 seat but I'd not be too worried about that.

This bike probably had an Avon fairing and a single seat originally. The dual seat looks like a /5 seat but I'd not be too worried about that.

Mine is a Sep 73 with the same seat (which I know was standard). Bit of a spooky setting !!

Attachments

• IMG_8614.jpg
    IMG_8614.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 328
Your cieling needs painting and while you're up there you might release the bike and put it on the ground before it falls down.

It's an ex Polis bike. All the /6 cop bikes had deeply valanced front guards. I think that changed in the 80s. The clocks are correct by the way. This bike probably had an Avon fairing and a single seat originally. The dual seat looks like a /5 seat but I'd not be too worried about that.

The deep valanced "Authorities" mudguard was phased out with the /7. 1977 bikes had the deep model. These are 1978 bikes.

Attachments

• 1978 Paul Mellor Brian Leighton,  & Bob Stewart R.jpg
    1978 Paul Mellor Brian Leighton, & Bob Stewart R.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 238
Everoak GP, certainly. I cannot recall the make of goggles. Personally, I liked the later Scott or Oakley's......

Here is my R75/6 of Dec 1975 vintage.
Lovely little thing to bimble around on, but front brake crap as it is cable operated to the
master cylinder under the tank which has leaked for the third time.
Planning to site one on the handle bar and have it 100% hydraulic.

Cheap motoring, annual insurance £47 and NIL road tax as hsitoric vehicle status.
Could well be for sale later in the year at which time I will post on this forum.

Sorry about the sideways on photo.

Attachments

• B4461DDA-4394-48E4-8E3A-814FFB8F6ECC.jpeg
    B4461DDA-4394-48E4-8E3A-814FFB8F6ECC.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 124

Back
Top Bottom