Pannier lock removal without key

blues n twos

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve got a set of the BMW ally panniers from a 2018 GSA.

The cases are unlocked but there is no key :( is there any way to remove the barrels without a key so I can code them to my main key?

I’ve tried various google searches but they all explain it with a key available :(

Cheers

Jon

Put your key in the lock. It won’t turn but will hold the lock wafers in place as you remove the lock barrel by depressing the bottom locking wafer as per the instruction you have previously mentioned.
Alan R

Put your key in the lock. It won’t turn but will hold the lock wafers in place as you remove the lock barrel by depressing the bottom locking wafer as per the instruction you have previously mentioned.
Alan R

Thanks Alan :beerjug: I also found a video showing how to remove barrel without a key for a touratech (bmw) ones :thumb:thumb

Thanks Alan :beerjug: I also found a video showing how to remove barrel without a key for a touratech (bmw) ones :thumb:thumb

Ideally the key/lock needs to be in the locked position (with the clasp open...) to allow access to the locking wafer. You might still be able to release the wafer if you can insert something thin and flexible.

Ideally the key/lock needs to be in the locked position (with the clasp open...) to allow access to the locking wafer. You might still be able to release the wafer if you can insert something thin and flexible.

They are open and locked as I believe that’s the only way to get the keys out on the frame locks. Lid locks open but I’m unsure if they are locked. :confused: Will find out Monday when I pick them up :thumb2

Jon

They are open and locked as I believe that’s the only way to get the keys out on the frame locks. Lid locks open but I’m unsure if they are locked. :confused: Will find out Monday when I pick them up :thumb2

Jon

Aye that's true, the frame locks need to be in the locked position to get the key out. Obviously you can open the clasp and then put the lock to the locked position. The release wafer is then easy to see and push inwards.
Hopefully the seller still has the keys and can put all of the locks in the right position...

Aye that's true, the frame locks need to be in the locked position to get the key out. Obviously you can open the clasp and then put the lock to the locked position. The release wafer is then easy to see and push inwards.
Hopefully the seller still has the keys and can put all of the locks in the right position...

No keys I’m afraid :( but I’m fairly confident all will be ok. I may just need different numbered wafers once I’ve got the barrels out and start coding to my key.

It will be fun! :eek::blast

Lock pics.

A few pics to show the issue with the release wafer.

First pic--With the lock in the un-locked position you can only see the wrong end of the slot that the wafer lives in.
Second pic--In the locked position, turned 90°, you can see the end of the wafer that needs pushing inwards with a thin blade.
Third pic-- thin blade inserted and then some gentle pressure on the end of the barrel will make it pop out. Be careful because the springs and wafers will make a bid for freedom if you allow them to slide out of their slots.... A dab of grease will control the little buggers.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20210301_113341.jpg
    IMG_20210301_113341.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_20210301_113405.jpg
    IMG_20210301_113405.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_20210301_112642_1.jpg
    IMG_20210301_112642_1.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_20210301_113453.jpg
    IMG_20210301_113453.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 436
Thanks Steve, really appreciate that :beerjug: I collected the panniers today from a film studio in north London and they belonged to George Clark from Amazing spaces :eek:

I have a set of celebrity panniers :D

Update... thanks for all who gave advice and messaged me with top tips :thumb

I’m pleased to say that all 8 locks have been recoded bar one wafer as I didn't have enough number 1’s but they are inbound thanks to a mate :thumb

Side case lid locks were left in the unlocked position so I was unable to access the locking wafer, thankfully by unbolting the lock clasp from inside allows you to get access once it’s taken apart.

I’m very pleased as these were on eBay well below normal price as no key etc :thumb

Cheers

Jon :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom