Nano ceramic coating

I managed 2 coats for the body work and 3 coats on the wheels.

It took 6+hts over 2 days to clean, prep and apply the coating

By who?

Done it to your bike?

It's highly unlikely that the product that at the centre of this thread is any different to the tens of nano-coat products that have been on the market for many years. The differences in these products essentially come down to the amount and type of silica that's added to the product and which vary the product in terms of its 'harshness' protection and it's water dynamics properties. On the latter, the silica addition is either designed to be either hydro-phobic (270 degrees) or hydro-phillic (90 degrees), the former designed for body panels and the latter for wheels (to sheet or use water flow to wash brake dust away).

The amount of silica makes the product either harder or easier to apply (easier it is, the more you can avoid streaking as the product cures at a slow rate, i.e. more than a minute or so). It's also the case that silica compounds designed to provide a harshness layer will often not provide the water-repellent properties, hence kits will often come with a silica compound for the harshness layer, to be topped with a water-repellent compound.

Gyeon is acknowledged by the detaining fraternity, professional and amateur, to have some excellent products (not just ceramics), but are the many others such as gtechniq and carpro.

Most kits, depending on their mix, will cost around £50 to £90. Other than the properties you are choosing of the products what matters more is how they are applied, in terms of preparation of the surface, coverage, application (avoiding streaking vs ineffective application), and whether radiation heat was applied (if required).

£320 for a day's labour plus products seems fair to me. New car detailing will usually take two days (including a first stage polish) and cost around £550-600.

Guarantees usually require that the vehicle is returned for a maintenance cost of the top product. My experience is that whatever claims are made for products you can usually reduce that by 40-50%.

There are top-up sealant products you can use (e.g. Gyeon Cure) but my experience is that it won't prevent a natural degradation in the ceramic coat over time and that the best you can expect of even a professionally applied product is 30 months' observed effectiveness (i.e. beading).

For me, the use of ceramics on motorbikes is just an additional tool of protection. Unlike a car, there are just so many irregular surfaces and nooks and crannies that you can't cover, so ultimately your best protection is the regular use of acf50. And whilst I would pay to have a new car professionally protected, I wouldn't do so for a bike.

However, as I'm comfortable with using the products, I applied gtechniq crystal serum (harshness layer) and two coats of exov4 (repellency) to my TB, though confess it was done in the middle of winter, and so there were only so many surfaces I was going to fret over.

i polish the body work, wheels, swingarm, frame and forks with autoglym resin polish. £10 a bottle
I then use a halfords cannuba wax again £10 a pot. - also do the black plastics.
Engine is never touched with polish or wax
3 hours labour once a month.

Bike is certainly easier to clean - water beads off.

Is it as good as nano coating - no idea but i enjoy cleaning my bike in my garage with the radio on.:D

i polish the body work, wheels, swingarm, frame and forks with autoglym resin polish. £10 a bottle
I then use a halfords cannuba wax again £10 a pot. - also do the black plastics.

Is it as good as nano coating - no idea but i enjoy cleaning my bike in my garage with the radio on.:D

Aside from the fact that ceramics make bodywork look sharper, whereas a wax makes it looks shinier, the difference is that when you clean a waxed bike you remove the wax! But it will give you more time with your radio :).

I wish I had the luxury of that time alone. Sounds idyllic.

Hi Neil, the service takes around 10 hours. The clean and preparation to get the bike clean enough and back to showroom condition before the coating is a lengthy process and the coating is not applied with a spray. The kits cost more than £50 and the guarantee travels with the bike.

I am a little surprised that someone will charge £330 to spend a couple of hours applying a substance that costs £50!
Hourly rate a little high !!

Hi Neil, the whole process takes around 10 hours for a bike. The process of getting the bike back to showroom condition is lengthy and then we apply the coating by hand. It is not sprayed. It has to be applied and levelled. The kits are professional grade and much better than any off the shelf ceramic so cost more than £50.

I am a little surprised that someone will charge £330 to spend a couple of hours applying a substance that costs £50!

Ceramic protection, despite the claims made at the time, wasn't as good as they said it would be. So now they use nano-ceramic coating to make it sound better. What's the difference? That, Joe, is a very good question...

It's like the difference between each new evolution of shampoo or skin cream. I mean, who can believe we used to think panthenol pro-vitamin B5 was the best protection you could get for your hair? Now we've moved on to micellar water and hyaluronic acid, and laugh in the face of people who believe glycosamine was ever any good.

I rather suspect it's all just snake oil. Give something a tech-sounding name and splash "lifetime guarantee" over the website in big letters (and 7 years, but doesn't cover "neglect" or define exactly what neglect might mean in this context, in tiny writing at the bottom). Explain the process you'll use in complicated terms that don't mean anything (can anyone tell me how "detail cleaning of accessible areas" differs from cleaning of accessible areas?) How would you go about challenging this if you thought it wasn't done properly. What exactly is done at the "fallout/decontamination" stage?

I asked a provider if they'd do half my car (for half the cost) so I could document how it fared over the next 4 years - the guarantee time at that stage, before ceramic became nano-ceramic, obviously. They declined because they "wouldn't want to put their name to a car that hadn't been done up to their exacting standards." They did however offer to do the whole car for half the price.

"Broscience" is another way of saying "not science at all."

Ultimately, if there was a coating that retails for £300 so could be put on at manufacture stage for £150 that offered all the benefits claimed, car and bike manufacturers would do it as a matter of course. It would be a HUGE selling point, particularly for high-end 'premier' makes. Can you imagien Bentley or Aston Martin not offering it as standard on a £100k car if it was genuinely effective?

By all means pay someone to give your car or bike a damn good wash and polish. If you spend five hours washing a car with the stuff you can buy in Halfords, it's going to look fantastic.
Spend £30 and a bit of elbow grease with Autoglym polish and protector yourself and it'll last for a while too. I just don't believe that the "nano-ceramic coating" claims are well founded and, by the time you find out, your guarantee will be long gone.

The guarantee covers new vehicles up to 10 years and 7 for used vehicles. The guarantee goes with the vehicle and neglect is not carrying any cleaning on your vehicle. A little after care will maintain the coating and it will out last the guarantee period. This was on the advice of the testing carried out on the product by Boeing and SGS. The product is a very high grade Nano ceramic formula and any online research will show you how far ceramic coatings have progressed in the last 10 years. If the customer feels the coating has failed and cleaning doesn’t bring it back to life (not happened yet!) then we will re apply for free. I value my customers and would always put it right as do supremecoat and that’s another reason why I use their products. Most of the other companies give a lifetime guarantee ( eg for the time the car is in your ownership but only up to the average time Someone ownes a vehicle. 1-3years! Autoglym!) at least Supremecoat guarantee it for up to 10 without any quibbling. That’s why I use this product and not the hundreds of others out there. I’m free to choose so I tested lots and chose the best.

It was designed for aircraft and has now been brought into the vehicle market. The transition is very recent.

Yes the producers are talking to all the car/plane/train/caravan/mobile
Home/ boat etc manufacturers and it takes time to provide tests and demonstrations and for them to leave existing contracts etc. Many car companies are starting to come on board.

Detail cleaning, is cleaning to a level that you wouldn’t normally clean to. Removing the built up dirt and grime with care so as not to cause swirls and scratches in the surfaces. Use of brushes around the grills and engine, removing exhausts screens and cleaning all the bolts and rust off. Ie not just a bucket and a sponge.

Decontamination removes imbedded iron and pollutants from the surface which are not removed with a normal wash. They are also not visible
to the naked eye but become visible
When they react with the cleaners. You will instantly see the difference on any used vehicle.

The bike needs to look like it just rolled off the production line and then I’m happy to coat it in the ceramic which keeps it looking that way with minimal work or effort.

I like to get honest feedback from my customers. Never had a complaint. It’s a good 10-12 hours of work makes your bike look showroom and protects it from the elements and you when you clean it. When you sell the bike it will still look in showroom condition and demand a higher asking/trade in price.
I test the coatings on my bikes and after 40,000 miles I still marvel that my black akrapovic exhaust still looks brand new every time I give it a quick clean. No effort, no marks, no tar, nothing.

Come and see for yourself. Come and watch the process and application. See the results. Then you’ll be better placed to form an opinion. Happy to let you come and watch anytime!

This is regarded as one of the best nano caramic coating....
£59

It’s a good off the shelf ceramic. Again it’s a layered system, takes longer to apply and doesn’t have the same resilience as the professional grade ceramic. All off the shelf products are Sio2 based and therefore will not be as tough or last as long. They can also be removed with chemicals. The supremecoat ceramic cannot. It needs time with a deep cutting compound and a harsh pad on a machine polisher to remove it. They are not in the same league. Also the supremecoat ceramic covers all hard surfaces and can be applied to exhausts and callipers over decals and stickers, on Perspex and on Matt finishes. Show me another that does that! You’ll need a different off the shelf ceramic for plastics and rubber, another for wheels, and I’m not sure any of them will cover an exhaust! Then you’ll
Need the ceramic and a topper to get you anywhere near the level of protection and they don’t guarantee the life span either.

I had a quick google, but am none the wiser.
WHAT is guaranteed ? Under what circumstances could somebody claim and then what would they actually get if the claim was successful?

It is were as effective as a proper drenching in ACF-50 for each winter for 7 years, then I can see the appeal- but there's no mention of protection against corrosion that I can see?

it’s protective against all acids and alkaline chemicals. Eg salt, bird droppings, acidic rain etc Also against UV.

ACF50 will ruin any modern bike with water based paint. We see it all the time. It’s abrasive and is hardly ever washed off properly. It’s sticky and dirty and ruins painted finished and plastics. Yes it’s better than nothing and in 1950 would have helped protect your bare metal engine but technology has moved on and now 1 application of ceramic protects fully for years and looks clean is easy to keep clean and prevents fading with full UV protection and stops the swirls and scratches caused by less than perfect washing techniques.

It’s like when you past your test the DSA line is in the middle of your lane. Great. Until you discover that actually there are better options!

It’s a good off the shelf ceramic. Again it’s a layered system, takes longer to apply and doesn’t have the same resilience as the professional grade ceramic. All off the shelf products are Sio2 based and therefore will not be as tough or last as long. They can also be removed with chemicals. The supremecoat ceramic cannot. It needs time with a deep cutting compound and a harsh pad on a machine polisher to remove it. They are not in the same league. Also the supremecoat ceramic covers all hard surfaces and can be applied to exhausts and callipers over decals and stickers, on Perspex and on Matt finishes. Show me another that does that! You’ll need a different off the shelf ceramic for plastics and rubber, another for wheels, and I’m not sure any of them will cover an exhaust! Then you’ll
Need the ceramic and a topper to get you anywhere near the level of protection and they don’t guarantee the life span either.

You'll see from my post that I think you charge a fair price for your services, so this isn't a knock. (Though I'd like to know how you actually coat the most vulnerable parts of a motorcycle, which is neither the painted surfaces nor the exhaust).

But most professional and enthusiast products use sio2 or polytetrafluoroethylene, albeit in different concentrations for either usability or, I suspect, for reasons of a sales structured business model that backs the products. If neither of these, what is the base of your protectant. And yes I would be a wee bit disappointed if you said it was a trade secret, as letting us what the base compound is in no way comprises the mix you have ordered from the chemical supplier. (This information is freely available for all the well-known products, used up and down the land by professionals).

the drit just lifts off... using lotus flower nano technology.... by which the acceptance angle of dirt is reduced to less that 270 degrees... and that inspiation came from nature as lotus flowers don't get dirty...

apparently...

Slightly off topic but my Mrs thinks her farts smell like Lotus blossom ................. carry on.

:hide

Slightly off topic but my Mrs thinks her farts smell like Lotus blossom ................. carry on.

:hide

cool.... how many lotus blossoms has she smelt to compare them...?

You'll see from my post that I think you charge a fair price for your services, so this isn't a knock. (Though I'd like to know how you actually coat the most vulnerable parts of a motorcycle, which is neither the painted surfaces nor the exhaust).

But most professional and enthusiast products use sio2 or polytetrafluoroethylene, albeit in different concentrations for either usability or, I suspect, for reasons of a sales structured business model that backs the products. If neither of these, what is the base of your protectant. And yes I would be a wee bit disappointed if you said it was a trade secret, as letting us what the base compound is in no way comprises the mix you have ordered from the chemical supplier. (This information is freely available for all the well-known products, used up and down the land by professionals).

We use an applicator pad to apply the coating? It is applied to all surfaces. We coat the whole bike and we have methods to reach hard to get to areas. We remove bits that we think will benefit from being removed to get to areas that are hard to reach but easily get dirty. All hard surfaces except the leather which we use a fabric protectant and sealant.

The base is polysilazane, it has a high silica content. Other than that you’ll have to go direct to supremecoat and ask them. All I know is it’s a patented formula and no one else has caught up yet! It covers all hard materials, doesn’t damage decals, paint protection film, wraps, stickers etc it can be used on Perspex without melting it or discolouring. It’s temperature resistant so can go on exhausts, shocks, springs. It will also coat brake lines, callipers and wires and connectors.

Hope that helps.

We use an applicator pad to apply the coating? It is applied to all surfaces. We coat the whole bike and we have methods to reach hard to get to areas. We remove bits that we think will benefit from being removed to get to areas that are hard to reach but easily get dirty. All hard surfaces except the leather which we use a fabric protectant and sealant.

The base is polysilazane, it has a high silica content. Other than that you’ll have to go direct to supremecoat and ask them. All I know is it’s a patented formula and no one else has caught up yet! It covers all hard materials, doesn’t damage decals, paint protection film, wraps, stickers etc it can be used on Perspex without melting it or discolouring. It’s temperature resistant so can go on exhausts, shocks, springs. It will also coat brake lines, callipers and wires and connectors.

Hope that helps.

Hello,
Are you affiliated with an organisation called "Hilltop" by any chance:D

It does. Sounds like a good service, and in my view good vfm.

Hope that helps.

Is there a you tube link we can refer to as I am interested or a possible discount for members.

Back
Top Bottom