Tyre Advice

Mackem1959

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am looking for advice re tyres for my 2018 R1200GS TE.
At the moment it has Metzler Tourance tyres fitted at times I find the front a bit vague.
I have ran Metzler Road Tech 01 GT's which were excellent on my previous bikes KTM Superduke Gt and my 2 Honda VFR 1200's .
I know tyre choice is subjective and I tend to stick to a type and brand so looking for a change.
I will be riding mainly on roads and touring planned hopefully this year in Europe.
Any advice appreciated.

I stuck Avon Trailriders on mine,

I had them on the hex head previously, and cant praise them enough

obvioulsy in bigger sizes, they are a lot more expensive

I have been running CTA3 now, and cannot praise them enough. Really transformed my 2018 GS https://www.motorcyclenews.com/advice/parts/continental-contitrailattack-3-tyre-review-/
Please could I ask you Martin did you notice if the CTA3 front tyre was any quieter on the front than the previous tyre you had on ?
People seem to rave about the Conti TA3's... but the top of my wish list would be an improvement on the godawful racket the front tyre OE Bridgestone A41 makes. I have a Puig screen fitted and the racket from the front tyre must be reflected back at the rider it's absolutely horrendous above 20 mph through to about 70 mph when the wind roar starts to take over.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

My tyres of choice are the Pirelli Scorpion trail 2s. Very good handling, low road noise and fairly long lasting...

Based on 10 years of using Tourance on a 2008 GS and then swapping to Road 5 Trails and Roadtec 01s, my personal view is that the pressures you need to run the different tyres at are not the same. The Tourances initailyl came out when the old GS was listed as needing 32-36, and they work wonderfully at those pressures. However, at those same pressures the newer tyres have very poor wear patterns which noramlises at 36-42. So my guess is that if you try new Tourances with lower pressures then you may find the front end feel changes significantly. But, like i said, this is my own personal experience and I could be completely wrong

On my second set of CTA3's having started with Anakee Adventures. The CTA3 is brilliant in every respect - apart from noise. The front is definitely noisier than most bikes I ride but not so bad that I'd want to swap to some other tyre.

I’ve always used Trail Attacks Tony. I’ve got new TA 3s on at the moment. I’ve not been able to use them’ in anger’ but they seem as good as worker versions.

Hope all is well
:beerjug:

Please could I ask you Martin did you notice if the CTA3 front tyre was any quieter on the front than the previous tyre you had on ?
People seem to rave about the Conti TA3's... but the top of my wish list would be an improvement on the godawful racket the front tyre OE Bridgestone A41 makes. I have a Puig screen fitted and the racket from the front tyre must be reflected back at the rider it's absolutely horrendous above 20 mph through to about 70 mph when the wind roar starts to take over.

I’m not Martin but you are dead right about the unbearable noise. My 2019GSA came with Michelin Anakee which were awful for noise. I next had Michelin Pilot Road Trail 5 and they were quieter but the Conti TA 3 is the quietest I’ve used so far.
Cheers.
Doug

Best tires for the GS if you want to attack the twisties have tires that can handle the rain and last are the Conti TA3 and Pirelli ST2 in that order...I say in that order because both tires feel almost the same ,the Conti a **** hair more stable at speeds above 115 mph and a little longer lasting than the Pirelli...But still I wouldn't put any of these on and try the new Metzeler Tourance Next 2 that is all new for this year and probably setting the new standard until Conti retaliates with the TA4 in 3 years...:D

Hmmm...yes. I had Annakee III before, and they WERE NOISY (Capitals because I had to shout :))!

CTA3 is quieter, but there is still a little hummmmm at certain speeds, on smooth tarmac, but I wear earplugs almost always, so don't notice (but I could still hear the Annakee III with plugs in!). Once speeds 50mph plus, I don't notice any noise other than the motor and the wind ;)

My cornering speeds went up significantly with CTA3 (frequent lean angles over 40 degrees now). Not that the Annakee's ever let go, but they just didn't inspire confidence (they felt "wooden") like the CTA3 does :okay So far, wear rates seem fine

Dougie Danger I think the CTA3 is quieter than the PST2...Buy a louder pipe :thumb Like I said both very good tires all the way to 52 degree lean if the Nav 6 did mot lie...:thumb2 The Conti is a little cheaper to run because it lasts longer.Also more stable @ high speeds while the ST2 a ****-hair more agile...Blindfolded on the bike on backroads I probably would not be able to tell the difference except for Both being very good & fun to ride which is all that matters or not ? Can't go wrong with either !

I’m not Martin but you are dead right about the unbearable noise. My 2019GSA came with Michelin Anakee which were awful for noise. I next had Michelin Pilot Road Trail 5 and they were quieter but the Conti TA 3 is the quietest I’ve used so far.
Cheers.
Doug
Thanks for the reply Dougie, looks like it's CTA3 for me next then .

Back
Top Bottom