Ring outdoor security cam any good?

keep reading about how folks hack into'em and spy on the users...

so if your into naked sunbathing there could be a chinese dude rubbing one out over you....! bear that in mind, obviously if your an exhibitionist all the more reason to buy one...!

Ha! That's brilliant! I had no idea.

Well, yes, I will deffo while away the hours of lockdown putting on a few shows for far eastern voyeurs, no probs. :D

Other than that, they can look at my shed door as much as they want. :thumb2

perhaps they've a fetish for shed doors...?

it takes allsorts I guess... :)

I have a couple of their floodlight cams and really like them.

I have very few issues and it is really useful to get notifications when they are activated. The range of sensitivity and sensor area is superb (presume it will be the same for the External camera) and the video/sound quality is good.

the only drawback I have noticed is if the wireless/broadband is playing up the live video feed can lag, but it still records ok

I've gone wired CCTV, installed a few systems for folks on here and for mates.... POE (power over ethernet) is really simple and with a web portal you cna fullfill your own needs to look at your shed door as and when you like....

my mate has a wireless solution whcih send him a text when someone is breaking into the garage... they all seem to work to a degree...

I’ve got the ring wireless camera at the front door and pleased with it - pings me when someone comes on the drive and wide lens covers my whole drive and garden.
I’m also linked to a wireless camera at my mother’s front door with same results as above.
Videos of both are very clear.

Thanks everyone. That was useful - I've ordered a camera.

Anyone who really wants to see my shed, give me your details and I'll send the info...!

hi Paul,

installed one on the garage front after my car got nicked. it is a great piece of kit. however last week i noticed it stopped operating and thought it was the wifi connection. on closer inspection there was a scortch mark on it which would indicate an electrical fault at 15months old and out of warranty. i am going to replace it with the same.

Barry

OK if anyone’s also considering these, here’s my feedback.

The unit is well made and in operation it’s very good.

But... the instructions were rubbish (ikea style wordless ones that leave you with lots of unanswered questions until the app kicks in and takes over the set-up) and more importantly, although the instructions show you how to mount them vertically or horizontally, the software is incapable of rotating the image that they generate.

I was able to make a bracket to change it to a vertical mount, but the Ring customer forum is swamped with infuriated people, esp those who mounted them under soffits and are left with upside down images.

Apparently there was once a feature that allowed you to toggle through different orientations but it has been withdrawn. The speculation is that it’s to do with weatherproofing issues if the cameras are not vertical.

I have a wired system with eight cameras , including one in the garage covering the doors and bikes.

It is linked to my internet and can be viewed via any of our phones and tablets / computers.

Great peace of mind , especially when away on holiday and the 28 day recorded loop has come in handy when items have allegedly been delivered ,yet no one had been near the place that day

I've got 11 Cameras scattered around my place, really useful at times. All external facing, none in living spaces.

10 x Tplink Kasa KC200 outdoor cameras on a 28 day Cloud recording platform for £99 subscription per year.

1 x Ring Doorbell Pro on a power wired connection

All have been brilliant and very reliable over the past 2 years, especially the outdoor cameras subjected to minus degree temperatures, rain, storms, wind, direct summer sun, ... all have been faultless so far.

You can just see them mounted in the decorative woodwork.

Very pleased with it all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210310-074628_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210310-074628_Gallery.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 176
However, I don't see mine as 'security' as such. I think thieves nowadays don't give a shit.

If they're onsite planning a determined burglary then cameras won't stop them.

Hell, nowadays they fucking video themselves in 4K Colour and post it on social media taunting the Police, so your grainy night video won't be any use :D

I've even had full video footage of a crime, they had a full face screenshot and the Police weren't interested once the Insurance company are involved. That was a £12,500 payout as well.

I like my cameras for monitoring deliveries/parcels, work being done onsite, weather events, wildlife roaming around, and lastly piece of mind knowing all my stuff is tucked away and locked up at night (no open windows or doors).

If anything I'll just have a recording of the event.

You need to back up the cameras with decent physical security, physical security that slows them down and makes life hard work is what you need :thumb2

Thanks for that. Crikey, your place looks secure.

I do believe that the real value of these Ring cameras is not so much the ability to present video as evidence afterwards, but more the sight of a little blue LED if anyone sticks their nose over the fence.

I do believe that the real value of these Ring cameras is not so much the ability to present video as evidence afterwards, but more the sight of a little blue LED if anyone sticks their nose over the fence.

Yep, might work if they see it in time :thumb2

I tend to go a bit over the top, but keeps me happy :D

Attachments

• 20201022_165844.jpg
    20201022_165844.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 20201022_165826.jpg
    20201022_165826.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 104

Paul does your ring have the ability to sound a siren. I recon even a hardened baddy isnt going to want to hang around with a siren blaring away.

Back
Top Bottom