ENGINE MANAGEMENT WARNING LIMP HOME AND CUTTING OUT

ssplant

Reaction score
Hello fellow GSers. I haven't posted on here for a few years now but could do with some help. Went out on Sunday to take advantage of the fine weather but failed to get back under my own steam. After about 50 miles warning light and engine management symbol cam on on my F700GS, seemed to be running OK so decided to press on and try to get home. About 10 miles on engine cut out totally without warning, locked up the back end briefly and I pulled over. Turned ignition off and on all seemed well so set off again, another 4 miles achieved warning on 1 mile further cut out again, on restarting this time engine sounded flat, guessing we are now in Limp home mode. Managed another mile or so then the cut outs were too frequent to make it worth carrying on.
Home in the back of a van, anyone got any ideas? is this common? this is my first small GS so don't know them well enough yet. Is there anyone near Stourbridge that has a GS-911 fault reader I could hire/borrow? I welcome all your thoughts and advice, whilst the bike now starts and runs nicely in my garage with no faults showing I don't want to get stuck out again I would like to know what the fault was.
Cheers Simon

Hello fellow GSers. I haven't posted on here for a few years now but could do with some help. Went out on Sunday to take advantage of the fine weather but failed to get back under my own steam. After about 50 miles warning light and engine management symbol cam on on my F700GS, seemed to be running OK so decided to press on and try to get home. About 10 miles on engine cut out totally without warning, locked up the back end briefly and I pulled over. Turned ignition off and on all seemed well so set off again, another 4 miles achieved warning on 1 mile further cut out again, on restarting this time engine sounded flat, guessing we are now in Limp home mode. Managed another mile or so then the cut outs were too frequent to make it worth carrying on.
Home in the back of a van, anyone got any ideas? is this common? this is my first small GS so don't know them well enough yet. Is there anyone near Stourbridge that has a GS-911 fault reader I could hire/borrow? I welcome all your thoughts and advice, whilst the bike now starts and runs nicely in my garage with no faults showing I don't want to get stuck out again I would like to know what the fault was.
Cheers Simon

If it was me I would be popping down to my local mottorrad dealership. You would then have the peace of mind its right and all updates have been done.
Just as an absolute off the wall did you release the fuel filler cap. Early F650/F800’s were plagued with venting problems due to vapour lock. This led to rough running and if I remember bike recalls. Im not sure it would have resulted in the engine management light coming on, but fuel starvation might trick the ecu ?

Steve

You need to check what fault codes are stored.

I'm in Stourbridge........

and I have the latest GS911

Happy to assist with scanning it at your place (socially distanced of course) for a small donation to a charity of my choice....

Message me and we can sort something out. Ah, just seen you're not a subscribed member so you can't message me.. maybe leave your number or an email address?????

Roger.

This Limp Mode seems to be getting very popular, My GSA 2017 went into limp mode Sunday but as I was off road I wasn't travelling at speed, I have ordered a GS911 so will check codes when it arrives, I read on other forms of it happening on the fast lane in the US and having to coast to the hard shoulder, not good for BMW again as it seems all too common now.

I'm in Stourbridge........

and I have the latest GS911

Happy to assist with scanning it at your place (socially distanced of course) for a small donation to a charity of my choice....

Message me and we can sort something out. Ah, just seen you're not a subscribed member so you can't message me.. maybe leave your number or an email address?????

Roger.

This bloke is a real diamond geezer, anything to help. Well Done Roger.

or dont go out during lockdown.

Some people have no option but to 'go out' during lockdown. The rules don't stop people going out during lockdown or going out to work if you can't work from home.

Some people are so very presumptuous and have no idea if I'm in business offering a breakdown service.

Some people eh?

Carry on.....

Some people have no option but to 'go out' during lockdown. The rules don't stop people going out during lockdown or going out to work if you can't work from home.

Some people are so very presumptuous and have no idea if I'm in business offering a breakdown service.

Some people eh?

Carry on.....

Guys, lets not go down this road FFS we are all grown men, circumstances determine what needs to be done, it's a genuine offer to help, someone needs it lets leave it there please?

Got bike sorted, replaced throttle grip sensor, all good again. The fault codes on the GS911 were 3A13D2 and 3A13D7, Also for a short while before complete failure the engine would run at a higher RPM at start up for maybe 20 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom