Fuel Pump Question

Disaster Area

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
After sitting for a couple of years I tried to start the 1100GS. No sound of the pump priming.
Long story short, I have replaced the pump, filter and the little green mesh screening thing.

I put everything back together and...

....still nothing.

Will I hear the priming of the pump if the tank is completely empty?
Could I have connected the + and - wires the wrong way around? (I took photos before I dismantled, but it's a bit indistinct on them).
Which of the wires in the rectangular block are for the fuel pump and can I connect them directly to a battery to see if the pump spins?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to try?

As ever, thanks in advance!

The pump should turn. It’s a timed function, but not a good idea to run it for long without fuel.
Brown negative
Green/white positive.

Yes you can connect directly to a power source

Try swopping the fuel pump relay

You’ve blown the fuel pump fuse, 4 or 5, I’ve forgotten which.

Or the most common cause, the relay
DAMHIK...........:augie:augie:augie

Or fuse 6.............:D

That’s the one :D ... if the fuel pump seizes the fuse blows.... fit a new pump and it still doesn’t work, as per the OP’s problem. You wouldn’t believe how many phone calls I get or bikes that get dropped off on a trailer after the owners have replaced the seized pump and then think it must be some other major problem.... yes, it is, the fuse. :D

That’s the one :D ... if the fuel pump seizes the fuse blows.... fit a new pump and it still doesn’t work, as per the OP’s problem. You wouldn’t believe how many phone calls I get or bikes that get dropped off on a trailer after the owners have replaced the seized pump and then think it must be some other major problem.... yes, it is, the fuse. :D

As ever, I hope that you are correct - it would be nice for it to be so simple to fix.
The symptoms appear to fit, but the only detail that might be relevant is that the low fuel light came on - not sure if that is controlled by the same fuse/relay.

I'll have a look and report back.
Many thanks,
DA

As ever, I hope that you are correct - it would be nice for it to be so simple to fix.
The symptoms appear to fit, but the only detail that might be relevant is that the low fuel light came on - not sure if that is controlled by the same fuse/relay.

I'll have a look and report back.
Many thanks,
DA

The low level fuel warning light is just a switch to earth inside the fuel tank. Provided you have a good earth to the tank which it sounds like you do then both the fuel gauging and the low fuel light should work.

The power to the tank just runs the pump.

All I can say is, if it is just the fuse, as Steptoe suggests, then your forum handle is appropriate........:D

My pump failure traced to corroded electrical connector under tank (R1150)

All good possibilities - I had a quick look last night and I couldn't see any blown fuses.

I also couldn't see any external problems with any of the relays, so I will have a more detailed look over the weekend.

All good possibilities - I had a quick look last night and I couldn't see any blown fuses.

I also couldn't see any external problems with any of the relays, so I will have a more detailed look over the weekend.

You won’t see anything external with the relay. The problems if any will be inside. High resistance contacts will not allow enough voltage through to power the pump. Swop the fuel pump relay (small black one) with the horn relay.

Well the good news is that the fuel pump now appears to be working!

Now I just need to fill her up with some petrol and see if she runs.

Many thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom