1150 gs milage on a tank

motojohn

Reaction score
i have a small problem with my new GS its a 2001 1150 but the fuel gauge is not working so i was going to just use the trip meter to work out fuel stops , so i need to know how much i can get to a tank full with out having to push it home , it has the fuel light but do not know if it works yet .
any help will be appreciated.

Work on about 10miles/litre and you won’t go far wrong :thumb

I've had about 190 miles out of mine, possibly more, but I was desperate to find a petrol station at that point.

By the way, if you do go into the tank to look at the gauge, it may be worth changing the innards as the petrol pipe may start to perish after time. I think there's something else in there too, someone will follow up with details I'm sure.

Work on about 10miles/litre and you won’t go far wrong :thumb

It can vary greatly depending on riding style, but this ^^^^^^ is about right for most, and was what I always worked on when commuting.

Say that, I’ve burned through 30l in my GSA tank in 160 miles a few times... :green gri

Brim the tank and zero the trip. Ride a good distance such as 150miles and then brim the tank again. Divide the number of litres put in, into the mileage and you have your miles per litre. On most of my bikes I seem to get 10miles/litre. The R1150GS has a 22litre tank which will give you a range of 220miles. I used to fill my bike when it got to 190 miles on the trip with usual on road use.

Run it out of petrol, then lay it down on its right hand side for a minute. Pick it up and go another 5-10 miles to the petrol station.

I don't think this'll work on the adv. with the cross-pipe between the lobes.

thanks for all the advice , im not going to worry about fixing the gauge as i have never had one before and just used the low fuel light , bit like the old days with a reserve switch on the petrol tank .

Back
Top Bottom