Ducati Multi V4S v GS1250

So I'm a weirdO because I prefer the shaft drive over a chain :thumb

Majority my trips are 10K duration each time. . . . . Chain...... Nahhhhhh:aidan

Ah well, I'm a gay pirate because I prefer a belt! :D

So I'm a weirdO because I prefer the shaft drive over a chain :thumb

Majority my trips are 10K duration each time. . . . . Chain...... Nahhhhhh:aidan

Done many of those lately?

Trips ?
Of course ! You referring to Covid restrictions.... :D Last year was chased around Europe, as each country locked down, I moved to the next ! This year, my main trip is East to Russia, Then North to Nordkapp. Fingers crossed.....

I have owned a couple of Multistrada's and they were great fun, well balanced and L twin grunt but , on tour, especially in the Alps drank fuel at a rate that often reduced tank range to 150 miles or so. So , for example, entering the Grimsel Pass from the Furka with 150 miles range it would quickly reduce to nowt as the revs increased. I once had to free wheel down the Grimsel overtaking cars to the unmaned fuel station at the bottom. One car came in and asked if my Multi was an electric bike.

Some testers have said the mpg is 35......so this V4 has the same drink problem.

Modern chains need very little maintenance. Of course if you’re a fat old fart who can’t bend down to spray the chain it might be a faff... but the rest of the world is just fine with them :aidan

I have owned a couple of Multistrada's and they were great fun, well balanced and L twin grunt but , on tour, especially in the Alps drank fuel at a rate that often reduced tank range to 150 miles or so. So , for example, entering the Grimsel Pass from the Furka with 150 miles range it would quickly reduce to nowt as the revs increased. I once had to free wheel down the Grimsel overtaking cars to the unmaned fuel station at the bottom. One car came in and asked if my Multi was an electric bike.

Some testers have said the mpg is 35......so this V4 has the same drink problem.

My 1260 regularly returns 50+mpg over the tank full the worst i have had was low 40s on a mental blast from Invergarry to Eilean Donan

The worst thing is the range indicator which is way off track. It tells me i have 20 miles range which should be about 2 L in the tank and yet when i brim it it only takes 14L in a 20L tank ....

So having said all that the trip computer could be a load of shit and its doing nothing like 50mpg

I wondered about trip computer mpg figures on car and bikes, but they seem to stack up with very rough calculation (10 miles per litre is 45 mpg so work it out from there). My car averages about that and is always extremely close to the 10 miles per litre benchmark. Bikes always averaged more than that.

I never really minded oiling the chain on my F700GS - do it link by link with an oil can on the drive and it takes exactly the same amount of time as having a post-ride smoke. But I wouldn't want to have to carry lube around on a long tour, and whatever oil you use there is always some splatter onto the back of the bike.

Between shaft drive, no-dive front forks and reliability, it's enough to steer me away from Ducati. But I'm sure they're lovely bikes for people who can use the extra power (I can't!).

Can you remember the usage as a loop from Hotel Hof to Grimsell and the Furka and bak to the Hof is about 80 miles , hope it was not that bad ....so if you ran out ..Christ the bikes a fuel lush or did you do the figure of 8

Can you remember the usage as a loop from Hotel Hof to Grimsell and the Furka and bak to the Hof is about 80 miles , hope it was not that bad ....so if you ran out ..Christ the bikes a fuel lush or did you do the figure of 8

We typically do 5 to 10 passes a day so the issue becomes where do you fuel as you need to enter some sections with a full tank thus fill up where you can despite, say, having half full (or half empty!) tank. As we have done the Alps many times we know where the petrol is. We also only visit when the schools are back so the traffic is light. IIRC the first MTS worst tank range was 120 miles thrashing between hairpins. The DVT was better, GS is OK although the 1250 can suck juice if you try but it's so easy to ride on the torque.

We often stay in Meiringen and cloverleaf out and back. Or transit back and forth.

MOTORRAD & PS had 2 interesting comparos V4 Multistrada vs S 1000XR and V4 Multistrada vs R1250GS...To sum it up the new MS lost both comparisons for different reasons...Less sporty,20 kilos heavier and 15 hp down compared to the S1000XR...0-200 km/h 10,3 vs 8,5 sec , 254 vs 232 Kg , 165 vs 179 hp...And the MS uses a liter more petrol on 100 kilometres...The XR is the better as in more sporty streetbike !
Against the GS the MS has 30 more hp but also 14 nm less Torque.That means the MS is good for 250km/h topspeed while the GS only does 220 km/h but the GS is a little faster on-roll on 60-180 km/h in top gear.The GS stops shorter and handles better thanks to Telelever and the position of the crankshaft that builds up no gyro.Also the GS uses 40% less petrol than the MS...Ridden hard or easy the MS used 2 litres per 100 km more...I think adding the chain to the whole picture the MS won't change the rules of the game which is either 1250 GS or S1000XR depending on what you prefer.Good all around bike or harder edged 4 cylinder sportbike made rideable for the road.I mean a sportbike that does not make your back,wrists and neck ache after 60 miles,a bike that can be enjoyed 2 up,your stuff dry and secure in factory hard bags and with a practical device called centerstand so no need for a pitstand littering up the garage :thumb
The next GS will be 10 kilos lighter and will have 155 hp/nm torque and will cover All bases :thumby:
While KTM and Ducati have to convert to shaft-drive and Telelever if they want to compete and have a chance to de-throne the King of the Alps the mighty 1250 GS :D

And of course it does not do the MS any favors that the GS still sounds like a proper motorcycle while the Ducati sounds like some electric juice mixer thanks to the euro-twats in Brussels...

MOTORRAD & PS had 2 interesting comparos V4 Multistrada vs S 1000XR and V4 Multistrada vs R1250GS...To sum it up the new MS lost both comparisons for different reasons...Less sporty,20 kilos heavier and 15 hp down compared to the S1000XR...0-200 km/h 10,3 vs 8,5 sec , 254 vs 232 Kg , 165 vs 179 hp...And the MS uses a liter more petrol on 100 kilometres...The XR is the better as in more sporty streetbike !
Against the GS the MS has 30 more hp but also 14 nm less Torque.That means the MS is good for 250km/h topspeed while the GS only does 220 km/h but the GS is a little faster on-roll on 60-180 km/h in top gear.The GS stops shorter and handles better thanks to Telelever and the position of the crankshaft that builds up no gyro.Also the GS uses 40% less petrol than the MS...Ridden hard or easy the MS used 2 litres per 100 km more...I think adding the chain to the whole picture the MS won't change the rules of the game which is either 1250 GS or S1000XR depending on what you prefer.Good all around bike or harder edged 4 cylinder sportbike made rideable for the road.I mean a sportbike that does not make your back,wrists and neck ache after 60 miles,a bike that can be enjoyed 2 up,your stuff dry and secure in factory hard bags and with a practical device called centerstand so no need for a pitstand littering up the garage :thumb
The next GS will be 10 kilos lighter and will have 155 hp/nm torque and will cover All bases :thumby:
While KTM and Ducati have to convert to shaft-drive and Telelever if they want to compete and have a chance to de-throne the King of the Alps the mighty 1250 GS :D

How long did it take you to find a review where the GS actually comes out ahead of the Multi V4S ??
And the only one you could find was a German mag that always sucks up to BMW.
Are you sponsored by BMW to constantly spout such utter bollox or have you sustained a head injury in the past ?
BTW, some people actually think the GS sounds like a wet fart,which is probably about right.
BMW have been tweaking and fettling the motor for 40 years and it still makes the least power of nearly all its rivals.
Even the new Harley Pan American makes something like 20bhp more and that’s the first incarnation.
The development of the Boxer engine is coming to an end.You can only polish a turd for so long :)

How long did it take you to find a review where the GS actually comes out ahead of the Multi V4S ??
Are you sponsored by BMW to constantly spout such utter bollox or have you sustained a head injury in the past ?
BTW, some people actually think the GS sounds like a wet fart,which is probably about right.
BMW have been tweaking and fettling the motor for 40 years and it still makes the least power of nearly all its rivals.
Even the new Harley Pan American makes something like 20bhp more and that’s the first incarnation.
The development of the Boxer engine is coming to an end.You can only polish a turd for so long :)

Coprolite to you sir.

You don't have to polish a turd. You can roll it in glitter. Worked for KTM... :D

I think the current and 1200/50 Boxer has more than enough power. It is what it is. And I like it.
Will probably buy a MR1300 GSA though :D

Arsey as always as opinionated as clueless :thumb2
The BMW 2 cylinder boxer with shift-cam is more modern and puts out more Torque and uses 30-40% less fuel than the latest VW/Ducati V4 engine...The old 1260 V2 was faster and sounded better than the new V4 that has to be geared so short to overcome the torque deficit and thus is so thirsty for cheap petrol...;)
The turd comes from Bologna , not Berlin...:D
And no the development of the boxer engine is not coming to an end...Neither at BMW or Porsche who have released their latest GT3 masterpiece...Translated to 2 cylinders the next GS could/should have 1350 cc , 167 hp and 115 lb-ft of torque :thumby: Good enough for fast road-riding even for the jaded ones who get bored easily...:thumb2
But the real turd is the Afrika-Twin boring even beginners to death...:D

MCN came to the same conclusion :thumb

Attachments

• AB2A3A03-3B12-4E86-BB81-FCB89E200661.jpg
    AB2A3A03-3B12-4E86-BB81-FCB89E200661.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 336
Sven you shut up Arsey quick...:D
MCN must be another german publication or simply fake news...;)
Looks like if Ducati wants to sell the new MS the should give Foggy one for free to flog it in the next episode of king of the jungle...;):D

MCN came to the same conclusion :thumb

Sven you shut up Arsey quick...:D
MCN must be another german publication or simply fake news...;)
Looks like if Ducati wants to sell the new MS the should give Foggy one for free to flog it in the next episode of king of the jungle...;):D

Yes, I know MCN gave the nod to the GS, as I produced the full review here two weeks ago !

But Boxerlust obviously hadn’t seen it ,otherwise his desperate search for a review where the GS beats the new Multi wouldn’t have led him to only find a mag printed in German with close allegiances to his beloved BMW ! :blast

I just don’t get why someone would buy GS after GS and continually dismiss every rival as being inferior.The GS may well be the best large adventure bike out there for most people but there are alternatives and they all have their merits.
Since the advent of PCP, and the decrease in build quality, people seem happy to simply trade in for the newest model every 3 years, to tie in with the end of the warranty and current PCP.
I guess it’s easier to return to what you know rather than fancying a change......

Back
Top Bottom