Ducati Multi V4S v GS1250

DS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has been fortunate enough to try Ducati’s new offering and if so, how does it compare (in the real world) to the GS. Watched a few YouTube reports and it’s certainly appears to be a strong contender!

Admittedly, comments without having ridden it are a bit suspect, but I think the motorbob vid probably gets to the heart of the matter. You are either wanting the revvy power of an Audio R3 or the low-down torque of a bmw m240i. I've seen comments that the heating issue hasn't been quite resolved, and I wonder if you still sit on the bike, rather than in it? But if I wasn't already 'invested' in a GS in terms of accessories, I'd certainly have given it a test ride.

I think it will take as many sales from the s1000xr as it will GS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDH1Xnogpnk&t

I think it has a drink problem according some videos with tank range well below 200 miles......but Ducatis all drink fuel, certainly the ones I've owned......fuel is power

I think it has a drink problem according some videos with tank range well below 200 miles......but Ducatis all drink fuel, certainly the ones I've owned......fuel is power

Some also drink quite a lot of oil.

It's an impossible comparison.

The Ducati is a race bike with long suspension and a tall screen. I adore the Multistradas. They are one of my favourite bikes of all time.

The GS1250 is boxer being stretched to it's absolute limit to try and keep up with other engine configurations.

If you're talking about reliability then they're probably in the same league but for different reasons.

They're both fantastic bikes to ride though. Just different.

The Ducati would be a consideration if it (i) didn't use so much fuel, (ii) had a shaft drive and (iii) had telelever and paralever suspension :D

I agree, If it had shaft drive I'd seriously consider it :thumb

The Ducati would be a consideration if it (i) didn't use so much fuel, (ii) had a shaft drive and (iii) had telelever and paralever suspension :D

Shaft Drive!!, how many time do we see posts re: splines stuck rusted, UJ’s seized. With a chain if you take care of it you can get 15000 miles out of it. Most GS’s don’t get near 15k before swapped in. Chain maintenance is max 30 min every 1000 miles.

Shaft Drive!!, how many time do we see posts re: splines stuck rusted, UJ’s seized. With a chain if you take care of it you can get 15000 miles out of it. Most GS’s don’t get near 15k before swapped in. Chain maintenance is max 30 min every 1000 miles.

Plus the extra weight and power loss.
Just so you don’t have to lube and clean a chain occasionally.

I think it's only the really old duffers that think it's an issue these days, they grew up with old skool chains that needed lots of looking after. Much like a lot of other things in their life they haven't moved on, haven't moved with the times.

I have no issue with shaft drives but for it to be a consideration for why you wouldn't buy a bike [1] I find just plain weird :nenau

Andres

[1] Unless of course you want a performance bike in which case you'd only ever want chain drive.

Sorry but that's absolute crap....... Compare the number of issues that have been raised to the number of units sold and you'll understand. Loads of GSs about with well over 50k miles on them with no SD issues whatsoever....! That's just a 'jump on the bandwagon statement'...

Sorry but that's absolute crap....... Compare the number of issues that have been raised to the number of units sold and you'll understand. Loads of GSs about with well over 50k miles on them with no SD issues whatsoever....! That's just a 'jump on the bandwagon statement'...

Very true.
There are some high mileage GSs but they tend to be 1150s or even 1200s.
I doubt there are many 1250s with even 25000 miles on, let alone 50000 because it seems NOBODY keeps a modern GS out of warranty because they don’t trust it to be reliable.
Plus the PCP bandwagon is geared to making you replace the bike just as the warranty is expiring.....and that’s why BMW still sell so many GSs.
If they built them like the 1150s with proper paint finish and non-rusting bolts etc, and sorted reliability, they would sell a lot less,so there’s no incentive ....

While I do agree that a chaindrive is not in any way unacceptable (I have both), it is very nice when touring to not in any way worry about any thing but filling the fuel tank when it comes to dealing with the bike.

As for 'all the problems' with shaft drive flooding the internet, that is Internet for you. Most riders never experience any issue with their shaft drive.
The powerloss compared to a chaindriven bike is also acceptable. A bit of Googeling and comparing dynoruns reveals that the difference for all practical purpose is negligible. And the extra weight? Well, I think that the most of us, the biggest potential for a weight saving on the bike is found on top of the seat...

So.. while a chaindriven bike is not a hopeless case, neither is a shaft driven bike.

And when the day of riding is over, when your mate is fiddling with his lubing, you may say 'Do you mind if I pop a cold one while you are doing your chores?'

While I do agree that a chaindrive is not in any way unacceptable (I have both), it is very nice when touring to not in any way worry about any thing but filling the fuel tank when it comes to dealing with the bike.

As for 'all the problems' with shaft drive flooding the internet, that is Internet for you. Most riders never experience any issue with their shaft drive.
The powerloss compared to a chaindriven bike is also acceptable. A bit of Googeling and comparing dynoruns reveals that the difference for all practical purpose is negligible. And the extra weight? Well, I think that the most of us, the biggest potential for a weight saving on the bike is found on top of the seat...

So.. while a chaindriven bike is not a hopeless case, neither is a shaft driven bike.

And when the day of riding is over, when your mate is fiddling with his lubing, you may say 'Do you mind if I pop a cold one while you are doing your chores?'

Yes but a modern chain needs little lubing unless you are riding in torrential rain all day long.
On a 10 day trip I’ll probably lube the chain before I set off and again midway through the trip.
If I get a day of heavy rain then I’ll lube it that night.
Takes 30 seconds to stick it on main stand on arrival and lube whilst chain is still warm.
If you need to do that every night then you’ve planned the wrong holiday or been very unlucky with the weather....or live in Norway ! :)

But yes, shaft drive is more convenient when on a trip...

With all the comments on shafts and chains I can see all angles and cant see an issue with either , its just the going back to forks again that's the issue . I hope Ducati have developed the skyhook better than it was as the last one i rode was , lets say , adequate . All these reviews swing back and forth but at the moment the Ducati does seem good . 3 hour test ride will perhaps answer a few questions , not ideal , but i'm sure you would soon work out if it would suit or not.

Chain maintenance is a pain in the arse if you ride all year round.

Chain maintenance is a pain in the arse if you ride all year round.

I have no desire to go back to chain driven bikes, but they aren't that bad if you use a Scottoiler. Yes, you get an all year round anti-corrosion treatment for the back wheel, but adjusting the chain shouldn't be more than once a year - or it wasn't on my Blackbird, covering around 8k miles per year.

The vacuum ones (that I had) can be a bit fiddly to set up though.

So I'm a weirdO because I prefer the shaft drive over a chain :thumb

Majority my trips are 10K duration each time. . . . . Chain...... Nahhhhhh:aidan

Back
Top Bottom