Ducati Multi V4S v GS1250

Onahi - Beautiful picture.That could have been me 21 years ago as then I had a yellow R1150GS & black R1100S...Good times that are even better today :thumb2 Just wished BMW would have a modern R 1100 S in their model line - That would be awesome !!!

Arsey I have a friend who has a 1200 Crosstourer DCT...The only reason he bought is that he is very cheap as the local Honda dealer had 2 and could not give the other one away...Despite getting it brand new for half what a GS would have cost him he hates riding it...Very (top) Heavy !
But You as a proper Honda man will probably love it like you do your A-T...:thumb2
Same with another guy who bought a new A-T 1100 the one with the big tank and tubeless wheels which he loved...He asked me if he could ride my GS.I said yes but if you crash you bought it...When he came back he did not say much.A couple weeks later he said I got a new bike.I said why because you did not seem that impressed by saying not much.He said I had no idea how much easier it was to go faster than I would have dared on my Honda...
I do just fine on the very "top heavy" Crosstourer........never mind Baja..dust off your passport, pop over to Ireland and you can try and follow me and my top heavy Honda through Wicklow and Wexford.
00f07890b24d788bcbd8d2a502f16914.jpg

S20 5G sent this......

Onahi - Beautiful picture.That could have been me 21 years ago as then I had a yellow R1150GS & black R1100S...Good times that are even better today :thumb2 Just wished BMW would have a modern R 1100 S in their model line - That would be awesome !!!

Some very fond memories of the 1150GS :thumb

My brother had an R1100SS BCR, He toured everywhere on that, If they bought a new one out now he'd instantly buy one. The Pictures are on our Africa trip.

Attachments

• Morocco 08 067.jpg
    Morocco 08 067.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Morocco 08 068.jpg
    Morocco 08 068.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 267
Arsey I have a friend who has a 1200 Crosstourer DCT...The only reason he bought is that he is very cheap as the local Honda dealer had 2 and could not give the other one away...Despite getting it brand new for half what a GS would have cost him he hates riding it...Very (top) Heavy !
........He said I had no idea how much easier it was to go faster than I would have dared on my Honda...

The Crosstourer is very heavy, it’s biggest vice. The GS is much better balanced at very low speeds and it’s easier for him to throw his GS around on really twisty roads with consistent , quick changes of direction. Also , like I said before , the GS flatters an average rider.... such as myself. It IS sometimes easier to go fast on a GS but I’m not sure a good rider , on the road , could really go any faster on a GS than a Multi/KTM/my CT. If you are riding to your vision then you can only go ‘so fast’ anyway and the CT will happily keep up and I imagine the top speeds are similar so it will probably keep up in a straight line too. Nobody , not even yourself i’m sure, rides flat out on the roads for very long and in the UK , given the type of roads and the traffic, it’s definitely not possible for huge swathes of time.

I ride mostly with my best mate who has a 1200GSA. We ride together regularly and do two 4-5 day trips together every year . On long fast sweeping sections the bikes are evenly matched , he can go quicker than me but only because he is a better rider and also is prepared to barrel round corners at speeds that I think are too fast to be safe. But it pisses him off that is much easier for me to ride quickly on the CT towards the end of long day on roads where the speed is varying up and down a lot thanks to the extra power I have and the DCT. He really has to stir the gearbox to try to keep up and I just downshift manually on the Paddle and then let it auto shift on the way up. On a big day I’m fresher at the end of it than him. When we go balls out for a little while he’s less stressed than me.

They are both good bikes, after all there aren’t many ‘bad’ bikes anymore :thumb2

Randy Mamola. Nice bike. Met him at Brands once.

Rushy,Onahi,Arsey...This pictures brought back good memories.Back in the day I rode often with my brother and other friends to Mexico...We both had 1100GS,1150GS,1100S @ later 1200GS & 1200S bikes.I also had a few R1200R' bikes.Loved the R1100S :bow Good memories riding hard on the devils backbone between Mazatlan & Durango .One of the best roads on this planet with lots of altitude change and more than 3000 turns on 130 miles ! All the 1100 S needed was a bigger tank and the 2010-14 DOHC engine and it would be still great for today.What a good looking,fun and capable bike for Road & Track :thumb2 I wish BMW would make some thing like this today R 1300 S :bow
But the R1250GS-HP with sports suspension is even better and faster...Only flaws it needs more power & more high speed stability as also 24 liter tank and 2 bags with the same interior volume to be perfect...:thumby: But the R 1100 S Boxercups still look as sexy as when they were new almost 20 years ago...Such good bikes for backroad blasting...Funny thing the R 1200S even 20 kilos lighter and 20 hp more never was as good or felt as right as the R1100S...Had 2 R1100S 1999 and 2004 I put 60K miles on each...The R1200S I sold after 6K miles...We never gelled ! I almost have the same feelings for the R1250GS with sports-suspension as I had for the R1100S...The R1100S was my all time favourite bike.Would I still ride one today ? No.Not enough power and to much vibration in the pegs on long trips...Also tank range is too small.But still a looker :thumby: And Boxercup races where highly entertaining...They should bring em back !!!

Arsey there is a reason I like you as the 75 anniversary GS and 2003 Boxercup are both very looking nice bikes , even today :thumb And even still rideable in a vintage kind of way...:D While bikes like the R90S which are still gorgeous looking are very slow and have terrible brakes by todays standards.Same about the Moto Guzzi Le Mans 1 which still looks and sounds great...Or the original CBX ! I guess a Ducati 916 could still give you some riding pleasure despite the committed riding position...but it still looks fresh and much better than anything coming out of Italy since...

Ok, I’ll say this only once....I’M 56, NOT 16.I DON’T ONLY RIDE A BIKE TO GO FLAT OUT EVERYWHERE.I don’t want a bike that is easy to go fast on.I want a bike that brings a smile to my face when I ride it.No modern GS does that....for me.
We are all different.You can’t see past the BMW range.I can. The end. :doris

Arsey, have you tried a Hypermotard? That brings a massive smile to my +50 year old face!

For me the GS is a tool, a very effective one.
I have never opened the the garage and stood and stared at it or just gone out there to twiddle and polish. I have sorted to be as efficient for my needs and thats it. Most of the fun is going away for few days with a few friends.

However this is a different kettle of fish. This is fun.

Attachments

• GT650 Stinger.jpg
    GT650 Stinger.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 367
Double fun.....

You miss the point, they are both efficient tools. If something more efficient came along, eg boxertissues dream bike, you would be on it in a flash.
Your fun is adrenaline the tool gives you not the fun of owning the bike.
for it's own sake.
The RE is never going to win any races, it wins on looks alone.

You miss the point, they are both efficient tools. If something more efficient came along, eg boxertissues dream bike, you would be on it in a flash.
Your fun is adrenaline the tool gives you not the fun of owning the bike.
for it's own sake.
The RE is never going to win any races, it wins on looks alone.

Not really missed the point as I do go into the garage and polish and twiddle ,as you put it , the GS , the other bike is a tool that gets abused and washed ( the last one was worn out ) , both are great fun. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the RE does nothing for me and would not waste polish on it , sorry.
You could not get more different bikes than a GS1200 and a 250 EXC-F . I own bikes as I have a passion for them and always have both in ownership , and fun , so your opinion is pointless and to be honest a bit a waste of typing. Also you comment was a bit aggressive with no reason behind it. Chill man , take it easy i was adding not winding you up ffs
I am always willing to try new things as this is why I love bikes and have owned , ridden and raced loads and have always pointed out (for me) the issues I have found with them.

Not really missed the point as I do go into the garage and polish and twiddle ,as you put it , the GS , the other bike is a tool that gets abused and washed ( the last one was worn out ) , both are great fun. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the RE does nothing for me and would not waste polish on it , sorry.
You could not get more different bikes than a GS1200 and a 250 EXC-F . I own bikes as I have a passion for them and always have both in ownership , and fun , so your opinion is pointless and to be honest a bit a waste of typing. Also you comment was a bit aggressive with no reason behind it. Chill man , take it easy i was adding not winding you up ffs
I am always willing to try new things as this is why I love bikes and have owned , ridden and raced loads and have always pointed out (for me) the issues I have found with them.

Apolgies, I was not trying to be aggressive, not my intention.

Double fun.....

Stick, nice looking duo. Is that KTM lowered as it seems to be sitting very low at the rear or is it just the angle of the picture?

It would be better with 160 bhp, 17 inch wheels and panniers though.

Stick, nice looking duo. Is that KTM lowered as it seems to be sitting very low at the rear or is it just the angle of the picture?

You forgot, more TORQUE...

No its the angle , suspension set up by Revs but sprung to my weight with adjusted static and rider sag , rides like a peach over technical rocks and smooth over the fast stuff , one on the best Ktm's I have used. I will stick with the 21"and the R20 thanks :D:D

Back
Top Bottom