Last minute change? AT with DCT vs R1200GS - the gout question.

Britishbeefy, you want non-sensible comments, don't need to ask twice, let the banter begin, come on Tossers you heard the guy.

Shall I begin. You could always have a normal every day bike and a "Gout" bike for when you are afflicted and have the reg number GO11TTY, putting a black plate securing pin at he bottom of the 11 to make it look like a U.

Getting serious for a second, hope the gout resolves and you are feeling better soon mate.

A simple blood test for uric acid should let you know and it shouldn't take longer than 2 days for that. If it IS gout be aware if/when it comes back it can go anywhere maybe your right knee or toe next time and if a severe attack hits you anywhere you'll probably not want to ride.
About 8 years back I was having attacks of gout often enough (I think they said 3+ times in a year) that it was suggested I get on Allopurinol. I decided I didn't want to be on this on going medication if it could be helped and chose to do something about it. You don't hear of younger people or athletes with gout. So I lost and kept off weight, I do moderate exercise 3X week, and make a habit of drinking lots of water. Long story short I haven't had gout since and I still indulge in alcohol. I'm just saying this to reaffirm you that with some relatively simple changes in your lifestyle you can correct your uric acid and therefore eliminate gout.

As far as a DCT AT, it is an easy bike to ride and if you had gout in your left toe you'd be able to ride it in less pain than a manual or quick shift bike.... though shifting or just the slightest vibration or bump could still be painful. My last GS was a 2014 GSA which I liked a lot, since though I went with a 2016 AT DCT and now a AT basic with 6-speed manual, I like the lighter feeling AT's and they just work better on dirt roads than a GS/A.

Top advice that Clifton, professionally I have known lots of folk who have done just that with dramatic outcomes and improvements in quality of life. Taking a supply of water with you on a long day out is better than catching up later with the hydration. Good luck with it Britishbeefy, wish you all the best.

Yes I learned the hard way that staying hydrated is way more effective than falling behind and then trying to rehydrate. There's quite a lag effect.

If you have a bad enough flare up anywhere in your foot......the bike won't be the problem......getting your boots on will!!!

By way of an update…….after almost 3 months and multiple steroid courses (impacted by not wanting to mask any potential Covid symptoms) my foot returned to normal…….and my new (to me) 1200GS LC has had a few good outings through Wales.
The gout starts as a proper flare up, where a bed sheet it too painful let alone a shoe or boot, but then turns into a really deep and painful mid-foot area. By that stage I can get a shoe on but changing gear would be impossible.
Anyway, long and short of it is i now have the GS and I’m up to 1x 300mg allopurinol as I’m titrating to get the dose right and blood urate levels in ‘spec’. I really didn’t want to add a lifetime pill to my blood pressure one but a good conversation with a nice GP and I decided to go for it.

On a GP related note……fantastic care from them during heavy lockdown. Telephone consultation and then went into the surgery when they were worried about the length of time my bout was going on for, thinking it could be something else. Blood tests multiple times.
GPs are not closed as some would have you believe.
Not to say my mental health didn’t take a battering from the enforced isolation, the only saving grace being it could have happened when the country was open!

Back
Top Bottom