Last minute change? AT with DCT vs R1200GS - the gout question.

Britishbeefy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve got a deposit on a 65 plate AUB R1200GS TE with quick shift but I am 6 weeks in to still unresolved gout in my left foot. It’ll probably go in a couple more weeks but I couldn’t operate a gear shift at present and I have a fear of an unexpected bout catching me out in the future. (If indeed it is truly gout....more blood tests in 3 weeks and potential long term allopurinol).

It’s made me consider the AT with DCT.

I’m trying to weigh up the pros and cons of both bikes and whether the DCT would allay fears.

It’ll be a used bike 3 years old I guess and a dealer one. With BMW you get the AUB warranty for 2 years but not sure what Honda offer. Servicing prices don’t seem too dissimilar apart from the valve inspection on the AT......which makes me wonder if I should go for the 16001 mile bike with it done (or at least the schedule stamped.....I’ve read that thread).

Any thoughts appreciated especially those who’ve had or have both.

Thanks.

I've had 1150, 1150 ADV x 2 and a 1200TC over recent years. Currently have an R9T and an F800GS.

Last weekend I bought a DCT AT to replace the 800 eventually. First impressions, much easier to move around than any of the above bikes...hides it's weight very well. Riding, doesn't have the 'planted' feel of the GS but is very nimble, more so than the 800. Engine has a surprising amount of 'go', more than I was expecting given the figures on paper. It's seamless riding though a little snatchy at walking pace, I'm told a reset can cure that (how to on the web).

If money was no object I may well have stuck with a GS (Rallye please), but for the money I had I got a dealer 19 plate with 3000 miles. Same cash would buy me a 2015 GS at best. Biggest annoyance? No power outlets or heated grips on a bike that was £13.5k new.

Other than that, very pleased with the AT

Unlike the GS the Honda’s not made of chocolate so therefore you’ll be confident that no warranty will be needed. :D

I've got both. They're very different bikes but I would be happy with either of them.

I really like the DCT and wish it was an option on the R1200 GSA

as above. had a dct atas and did 10k miles on it in just over a year. it is a quality product and i had zero issues. loved the dct.

in jan got my new 1250gs which i love for slightly different reasons.

i changed for the sake of changing - life's too short!

Barry

If the gout does return there is always the option of fitting something like the Kliktronic to the bike.

Having had both at the same time plus a painful ankle for one summer, I defaulted to the AT DCT as even the quickshifter on the GS required a decent shove up or down. Usually came back on the GS with a limp and could not ride it for a few days so again the AT got more use. Fortunately the ankle issue is now resolved so the GS is not a problem, but the AT has become the go to bike.

Gout has the uncanny habit of flaring up again in the future even if treated and resolved in the first instance, I would go with the AT and know your riding won't be stopped again by the problem.

Might sell my AT DCT

Britishbeefy

I'm contemplating selling my 2017 CRF1000L DCT. Might be what you're looking for!! Nice red/white/black colour scheme, around 10k miles, full Honda service history.

Not been used much the past 12 months, and various personal issues I can't see that changing.

Well loved bike, stored in the garage, new battery, Givi Trekker top box, driving spots, heated grips etc.

Let me know if its any good to you.

Thanks
Steve J

Youll still need to put weight on that leg/foot/ankle to get on the bike, lift side stand up though..GS is more comfortable, less wind and turbulence in my opinion.

the DCT is not perfect in every situation but 90% of the time it is . its also very relaxing to ride out on open roads and goes pretty well too

ATAS here. I have left foot problems as well, the DCT makes the bike really easy to ride and comfortable. The main source of buffeting is the fork tunnel, easily solved with a plastic air dam. I also fitted a Madstad screen to account for my height - stock was good if I ducked so it was a height issue. I needed a screen on my old GS as well.

Don’t know what the supposed issues are as my ATAS is fine as standard , screen-wise etc .
Great bikes . Love the DCT.

Gout is treatable , and if you have an attack probably best not to ride if it affects your left foot. Check with the blood tests that it is gout , but I would buy the bike you prefer for all the reasons we like riding bikes

cant help you with which bike,, but i was diagnosed with gout early last year, i had it in my right knee,,, anyone who has had it will tell you its VERY painfull, i went on allopurinol ( but the flare up needs to be gone before you can start the allopurinol) and its taken a few months but is now back to normal,,,for now,,,, i have gone tea total, and drink lots of water ,,usually with a squeezed in lemon, and i can tell you that staying hydrated with lots of water helps a lot, really hope you get it sorted and under control quickly, the way i feel now i wouldnt let it determine which bike i ride,

I would change your lifestyle (eating and exercise) to get the gout sorted and then buy the bike you want - as the good Doctor (above) says

Really disappointed with this forum, all these sensible comments!

Thanks all, I feel the sensible option might well be to wait for the scheduled bloods in a couple of weeks and bottom out a diagnosis and treatment plan.
The weight on the foot issue is something I need to consider and stop fooling myself. I had to move our manual motorhome off the drive this morning and even that bit of clutch work was painful......so it is underneath as well as on top of the first toe. And it’s only just hit home that Mrs B is booking campsites on the basis we’ll (I’ll) be driving off as soon as the flag is raised......think I best get my priorities sorted (I’ll say it before she does).

So.....I’ll count to 10, wait, test ride the bikes and do it properly, bit gutted but the right thing.

Time for the next pint, of water.

Cheers.

Really disappointed with this forum, all these sensible comments!

Thanks all, I feel the sensible option might well be to wait for the scheduled bloods in a couple of weeks and bottom out a diagnosis and treatment plan.
The weight on the foot issue is something I need to consider and stop fooling myself. I had to move our manual motorhome off the drive this morning and even that bit of clutch work was painful......so it is underneath as well as on top of the first toe. And it’s only just hit home that Mrs B is booking campsites on the basis we’ll (I’ll) be driving off as soon as the flag is raised......think I best get my priorities sorted (I’ll say it before she does).

So.....I’ll count to 10, wait, test ride the bikes and do it properly, bit gutted but the right thing.

Time for the next pint, of water.

Cheers.

Are you overweight?

Like the rest of us?

Have had my gout flare up last two days, had it before but this time it’s excruciating!!

Hardly any sleep last night

Have a blood test scheduled for Monday anyway as was having stomach issues

Gave in and called GP and just prescribed 12 x colchicine..... wish me luck! Had the shits before, hate to think what they might be like now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive had a DCT AT for 3 years. I much prefer the GSA, for me its a much better bike and I also much prefer control of the clutch. I have a mostly paralysed left leg and use a Klicktronic shifter. It works hand in hand with the quick shifter for push button gearshifts up and down via two buttons on the left handlebar. Best of both words really.

Attachments

• C1870818-0164-4B79-B7F5-157E231A4779.jpg
    C1870818-0164-4B79-B7F5-157E231A4779.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_1162.jpg
    IMG_1162.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 415

Back
Top Bottom